Buying Fiddle strings

Buying Fiddle strings

I’ve been using D’Addario Helicore medium fiddle strings for a while now. The last set I bought cost

Posted by .

Re: Buying Fiddle strings

As a general rule, the price of anything bought in the UK from a USA source will depend to a certain extent on the current exchange rate between US dollars and sterling.
Trevor

I’ve found www.swstrings.com to have the best prices with fast delivery. I can’t comment on how the exchange rate would affect you.

Good luck.

Ps. They’re showing 27-30 usd for Helicores.

Thanks for the suggestion, but they don’t ship to the UK. Dave

Posted by .

I just bought a bunch of stings at a great price at www.juststrings.com good luck

try http://stringsbypost.com, they might not have updated their price list yet but its showing about

I seriously think you’re being ripped off there. I usually pay about

6 weeks usage out of Helicores is distinctly on the low side, even with a lot of playing. I’d have thought 4-6 months would be more realistic.
String life has been discussed on previous threads, but, briefly, the playing life of a string seems to depend on a number of factors - including, how the fiddle is set up, the smoothness of the notches in the bridge and nut, how the string is wound on its peg, the height of the string above the fingerboard, how the fingers contact the string (fingernail length is an important consideration), and not overtensioning the string when fitting it initially.
Trevor

Try http://www.concordmusic.com . Helicores are from 23.50 to 25.00 US dollars. And they don’t make up the difference in inflated shipping charges. Here in the states they have my strings to me in 3 days.
Ran-

Posted by .

Gotta say I find Thomastik-Infeld/Dominant Strings to be the most durable and sweet sounding…can get a set on average for about 40 US dollars

Check out Music City Strings. They have bizarre sales sometimes—whole sets for a tenner or something. I know they have a website, too, and will deliver for free anywhere in the continental US.

Posted by .

Have found good selection of strings at Crehans in Dublin, online and by phone….Mr Crehan himself uses D’addario helicore strings and I wanted a soft sound for playing Irish and Breton tunes on my elderly fiddle, and I think they are good….plus if you phone you get the benefit of a wonderful Dublin accent!
Pandora