Fiddle Jigs - Progress Report

Fiddle Jigs - Progress Report

Folks,

Am now playing fiddle 9 months. Recorded 3 of my favourite jigs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V78Qc-HBh4

Comments / criticisms / suggestions welcomed, the usual drill.

I didn’t want to obsess about getting as mistake free as possible a recording so I just took a first cut, I was a bit wary of speeding up in the last two and a mistake in the low part of Sean Ryan’s but am reasonably happy that it reflects my current ability.

Look forward to hearing thoughts and working hard on improvements!

(Still haven’t sorted the bridge issue somebody pointed out on my reels recording, cash flow problem ๐Ÿ™‚ )

P

Posted by .

Re: Fiddle Jigs - Progress Report

I appear to have been cut off by my laptop as only the Lark has appeared in the video :/ At least it was the best of the three ๐Ÿ™‚

Posted by .

Nicely done. I find it hard to criticize anything because you are doing really well for someone who just picked up a fiddle 9 months ago. For instance, there are some intonation problems, but that’s just normal at this stage. Your bowing is good, you are doing strings crossings really well for this stage.

I can’t give any better advice than to just keep playing. You seem to be on the right track. Be sure to listen a lot and immerse yourself in the music, rhythm problems are normal when just learning the instrument, but you need to be sure to know how it should sound so you can get there.

I would only suggest playing more slowly so that you have a little bit of time to (subconsciously) correct your intonation after you put each finger down, which will eventually improve your fingers’ initial accuracy.

Also, aim the camera lower if you want anyone to give you advice on bowing and such. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks Marklar, I don’t know whether to attribute any of the way it sounds to the recording device or just a natural enlightenment on intonation but it sounded a lot different to me playing than listening allright!

I was actually listening to Tommy Peoples’ Friexe Breeches - Lark in the Morning set just before starting to record, I do love the way he plays the Lark in the Morning!

Posted by .

Sorry Whiddler I did mess up there alliright, I barely even looked up after pressing record!
I aimed to play it slower but probably ended up at the same rhythm of Mr Peoples!

Posted by .

The first part of the Lark in the Morning sounds messy . Listen to this girl playing it on the whistle especially the slow version at 2.04. Good luck
http://youtu.be/DKDsxAUS6W8

huhm I kinda like it. Interesting to see a beginner attacking the shape of the tune well, before spending too much energy playing each note, seems you must not be paper training yourself, at least on the LITM. I admire that. It is messy, but you seem to be taking the tune where you want to take it, and precise twiddly bits can take a back seat at the moment… thats one way to do it, my daughter learns guitar the same way, she will start something I can tell whose style she is studying, often before I can identify the tune she is playing, because she goes from global feeling 1st then down to the nuts and bolts. Eventually she gets it all in there, and has never struggled with her music sounding "fun". Good work.

thanks sandy bottoms and free reed, maybe I didn’t pick a good jig to play because Tommy Peoples plays the first four notes as a roll d e f# b or something like thta, you’re right Sandy I don’t play by paper, I can’t read music in any shape or form, I have tried to force myself to write out a tune in big and small letters then play the notes by reading but my ears always take over and I could play a note I didn’t write to play or vica versa too.

Ironically I probably got clearer notes out of my reels that I recorded a few weeks ago http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDN7F0ZZ13c

I wasn’t so happy with intonation there though.

My ears do tell me to try a lot of ornamentation parts that I usually force myself not to play because I’m sure I won’t play them right.

Similarly free reed, I know exactly how I want it to sound, that video sure is a ood example, I’m just progressing there, it seems somehow easier to play the a f# a f# on a whistle than a fiddle though

Posted by .

Hi Paudy.

Sorry to reply so late and I hope you see this. You are obviously doing something right if this is your progress at 9 months. I’d say keep doing what you’re doing. Be fun to have a tune with you. From your video, it looks like you have great energy and intensity. I enjoyed listening to your music.

John, thanks so much, I really appreciate that. I’ll be living in upstate New York from October on so do let me know if you ever end up on the East Coast, I see you’re in Tacoma, WA by default though!

Posted by .