slow down youtube video?

slow down youtube video?

Does anyone know of a way to slow down a youtube video? thanks Doug

Re: slow down youtube video?

Convert the youtube video in to an MP3 then run it through a slower downer programe, like transcribe. Hope this helps.

Stephen

I would also like to see the video slowed down to check out some fingerings. any ideas?

I think real player gold (which is a free download) will give you the option of both downloading the clip and then manipulating the clip played through it. For instance you can cut and alter it, not sure about slowing it down but its highly possilbe. Worth a shot id say.

Stephen

If you’re converting a YT video it will be to mp4, and not mp3 which is for audio only. I believe the native YT video format is a type of mp4. If you play a YT video, find the video in your browser’s cache - it’ll be among the most recent, if not the most recent, and it certainly will be large. Make sure you do this without coming out of YT or the browser otherwise you’ll probably lose what’s in the cache before you have a chance to look at it. Change the extension of the file in the cache to .mp4 and drag the file from the cache to a safe folder on your computer. Rename the file to whatever you want, and you’re done.
Such a file should play well in Video-LAN’s VLC Media Player (it’s free), which has a slowdown/speedup facility that does the job without altering the pitch. This facility is at the bottom right of the VLC window (it’s not quite as obvious as it should be).

"Transcribe" by Seventh String Software will slow down both videos and audio recordings without changing the pitch:

http://www.seventhstring.com

You can use the Video Download Helper plugin for Firefox to easily save YouTube videos.

Thanks Michael for that info and I like your youtube too. Doug

Buy Youtube Downloader and play it through SLoMODirect both are relatively cheap to buy.You can create a loop of a section of a tune and run it repeatedly on SloMiDirect

Do these various cheats, I mean ummm aids, work on mac as well as pc systems?

Transcribe ia available for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

Set your youtube preferences to html5 video. You can then slow down the video on the website.

Posted by .

I can’t find "preferences" on my YT account, or obviously anywhere else on YT, it seems.

Timo, would you please elaborate on your suggestion, this is quite interesting if it can be made to work…

Oh, never mind, I didn’t see your last post…

Tirno, I’m wondering if that feature is currently Mac specific, I’m not seeing a slow down option on Win7 64-bit after changing the option to use HTML5 video. Anyone else get this to work on Win7?

It works for me on Windows XP using Safari 5.1. I went to http://www.youtube.com/html5 as a YT account user and chose to be part of the html5 trial. That’s all. Then I tried it out on one of my uploaded videos (Denis Murphy’s Slide); there was a new speed control on the YT window giving me choices from x2 down to 1/4, all keeping the pitch constant. Half speed is ok; 1/4 sounds a bit grim, but would be ok if all you want is to check on fingering or bowing. The x1.5 setting gave a spritely and reasonably realistic rendering of Denis Murphy’s by the Hibernia learners, but x2 sounded a bit unlikely!
I also tried it on my other browser, Google Chrome, but the new speed control wasn’t there, although it should have been because Google Chrome is supported according to the YT html5 web page.

When making speed changes with the HTML5 versions, does the pitch stay constant or scale with the speed change?

Michael, with the YT HTML5 version the pitch does indeed stay constant with the speed change. Of course, if you go too slow, although the pitch remains the same, other things happen that aren’t particularly musical because the sound has to be digitally "stretched" (i.e. distorted) to fill the extra time caused by the slowing. That’s why the Denis Murphy’s video* sounds pretty grim at 1/4 speed, but is just about acceptable at 1/2. Speeding up Denis Murphy’s x1.5 worked reasonably well for the Hibernia players, many of whom are beginners, because their comparatively slow playing got upped to about that of an experienced session with good players.
* the Denis Murphy’s YT link is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV2FuZLVp0s

Btw, the sound of a slowed down a video isn’t helped by a reverberant acoustic, as in the hall where the Denis Murphy’s video was recorded.

The easy way??

Convert to mp3 slow down in WMP

Hey, late to the party here! Hope this is still helpful to someone —

You can use Soundslice to slow down any YouTube video and loop sections of it. It’s a new tool for learning music from YouTube videos:

http://www.soundslice.com/