Questions about Oisin

Questions about Oisin

I’m listening to The first Oisin LP and I have few questions about the Band and the record.
Are they still playing?
The 4th track on side 2 is played on Uilleann Pipes and the cover doesn’t mention any piper.
Any Idea?
Thanks
Pierre

Re: Questions about Oisin

I think the piper was Darach de Brun, and they are not playing together now.

Brian McDonagh who is now in Dervish was a member I believe. I’ve never heard Oisin but I adore Brian’s accompaniment so would love to hear some.

Not to be confused with the Scottish band Ossian.

Aren’t there pipes on at least one Ossian record? I could be imagining this.

Mick O Brien was with them for a while, he was on one album.

Posted .

"Mick O Brien was with them for a while, he was on one album. "

He was on "The Jeannie C" and Davy Spillane was on "Winds of Change" . However, from what I’ve been told, and from what the actual piper says in the link I gave earlier, the piper on the first album was Darach de Brun.

Thanks for the Answers. I just re read again the cover. Darach de Brun is not mentionned as member of the band but he figures in the aknowlergments. I didn’t notice this at first reading. His tunes are great!

Oisín is definitely one of Ireland’s most forgotten bands and a quick check has revealed that none of its five albums (plus the compilation ‘Celtic Dream”) is currently available in CD format.

The core of band’s first three albums (‘Oisín’, ‘Bealoideas’ and ‘Over the Moor to Maggie’) consisted of Geraldine MacGowan (vocals), her husband Séamus (guitar and vocals) and the brothers Brian and Tom McDonagh (mandolin and bouzouki respectively) with Mick Davis on fiddle. Paul Brady produced and played on the first two while Paddy Glackin produced the third, which also featured Gerry Phelan on flute.

Brian and Gerry left after ‘Over the Moor to Maggie’ and accordionist/guitarist Anne Conroy was recruited (she later married Joe Burke).

The period around last two albums (‘The Jeannie C’ and ‘Winds of Change’) saw the MacGowans and Conroy as the only constants with Steve Cooney, Gerry ‘fiddle’ O’Connor, Nóirín O’Donoghue, Mick O’Brien and Davy Spillane among the many guests who appeared on stage or on the band’s recordings.

This is the only file I can find on YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsg_rhSqq7U.

Posted by .