Trad in Dublin in the daytime?

Trad in Dublin in the daytime?

Since I’m not supposed to start a discussion looking for a session in a particular area, this is hereby declared starting a discussion looking for a session at a general time of day (in a particular area). ;o)

Can anyone point me in the direction of an authentic session in Dublin (none of the touristy bits!) that’s in the daytime or early evening, specifically on a Sunday thru Thursday — if such thing even exists? Monday thru Wednesday would be ideal.

I’ve gone through several pages of sessions, most are at night, some don’t list a time, some are quite questionable as to their continued existance. Need some good, current info. Thanks!

Re: Trad in Dublin in the daytime?

There is one at noon or thereabouts at O’Donoghue’s on Sunday, I think.

Friday 1 pm O Donoghue’s is another noon session I know of. Yeh really don’t know about Monday Tuesday or Wednesday afternoon sessions I’m afraid.

Posted by .

I was in Dublin not long back and there was an early evening session in The Cobblestone at 7pm on a Thursday (shoppers’ night). There also used to be a Sunday afternoon session, but I’m not sure it’s still running.

I think you can get Sunday afternoon tunes in the Merchant on the river liffey as well as probably O Donoghue’s etc, in Galway Tigh Coili’s and the Crane Bar have great Sunday sessions too, it’s just a pity there’s nowhere Monday to Wednesday. Why not check out Grafton street to see if you can catch a few tunes with some folks busking there :-)

Posted by .

Oliver St. John Gogarty, which is right next to the famous Temple Bar, is where I went for daytime sessions when I was in Dublin some years back. It’s a tourist area, but the players I played with were pure drop and very welcoming.

Posted by .

*sigh* …I was afraid of that.

Thanks, I’ll check into some of these further, but it’s not lookin good. Sunday would have to be late afternoon / early evening (not arriving until afternoon) & turns out Thursday won’t work after all. You have it right, Paudy, it IS a pity there’s nowhere Monday to Wednesday. Anyone in Dublin want to get together to play with a young lad in the corner of a pub on a Monday thru Wednesday coming up in a coupla weeks? !!! ? (Or give him a pipes lesson, for that matter?)

cobblestone sunday afternoons

mulcreevy, I’ll give my mate a shout, have you pipes with ya? He’s a fiddler and piper. Also when exactly are you in town?

Posted by .