recommended flute makers??

recommended flute makers??

I’m thinking of buying a new flute. I currently play a keyless De Keyser which I’ve had for the past three years. Its a nice flute but Im looking for a 6 keyed flute with a good strong loud tone. Ive heard that Murray, Grinter and Doyle flutes are good but are they what Im looking for? Im a lefty and Ive heard that certain makers dont make left handed flutes or charge considerably more for them?? Im also looking for something under E2000. Any suggestions?

Re: recommended flute makers??

Lefty can be challenging to find. Wouldn’t hurt to let Doc Jones (at the Irish Flute Store online http://shop.irishflutestore.com) know what you’re looking for. He sees a lot of flutes.

The only way to know if a particular flute is what you’re looking for is to play it yourself. So answers here can be more helpful if we have a general idea where in the world you are. Ireland? UK? US? Australia? Timbuktu? 🙂

Posted .

I think someone on chiff is selling a 6-keyed Morvan flute for lefties. Those are the kind that Sylvain Barou play.

Try eamonn cotter flute’s. They’re great.

Well the three makers you mention all make great flutes, I am certain Sam Murray does lefties as I know two people who play them. I would be surprised if Doyle and Grinter do not. Personally out of the three you are looking into I would go for a Doyle they are the easiest to play and are probably the most consistent. Yet you should really go out and try as many as possible to see what suits you.

Posted by .

Murrough O’Kane, (used to play in Óige) plays left handed and has a 6-key Murray. I have a unkeyed Murray and there’s certainly no lack of powerful harmonic sound in them : )
I agree with the above, a good flute maker should be able to provide a leftie flute. That said i can’t find any confirming info on Doyle’s site and Grinters seem to be down.

The best "Irish flute" I’ve ever played is a particular original Pratten, made around 1860.

The second best is several new flutes made by Patrick Olwell.

Patrick has a long queue, and for good reason.

I don’t know if he can make a ciotach flute.

Mike McGoldrick is a leftie and he plays a Grinter.

Hi there,

I play a left handed Hammy, 4 key, it has a strong clear tone that makes it heard in sessions, Conal O’Grada plays same type of thing, not sure of his prices these days.

The loudest flute I’ve heard was a 4key Murray, but then the guy who plays it could probably blow the a$$ off a milk bottle.

The makers mentioned above are fantastics for their own strengths off their flutes, Hammy’s are pratten style but he does charge more for left cut embrochure and keys.

OIlwells/Grinters/Rudall in my opinion have a softer tone, nice but different.

Regards

BOL

Thanks for all the suggestions. Im living in Ireland so Im thinking of going with one of the Irish makers rather than an Austrailian like Grinter unless i can find a good second hand one here. I checked out Francois Baubet’s website and i like the sound of the samples of his flutes being played, might see if i can try one out and see what kind of sound i can get from it. thank you EnDac for the suggestion, probally would’nt have found him otherwise. 😀

Fluteah14, just checking - did you get my PM?

Ton’s of good threads on this subject already, but if you’re looking for an Irish maker then your search is a bit simplified.

I would really recommend that you play as many flutes as you can by the makers that you are considering - difficult for a lefty perhaps, but given that you already play and presumably have a good idea of whether you like a flute or not, it is definitely better to consider the search to be for "your" flute rather than just for a "good" flute.

I own two excellent flutes, a 6 key GLP by Mr McGee and a keyless by Windward flutes. Both are superb flutes, but I am going to be getting a keyed body for the Windward flute, because that is "my" flute. I am still not sure what to do with the GLP, since it is actually rather useful when playing in smaller acoustic groups, but I am not sure whether I will still play it much once I get a keyed body for the Windward…

So, enjoy the search.

Chris.

Olwell a "soft" flute???

I heard Seamus Egan play his in person, I was sitting right next to him, the loudest flute I’ve ever heard. Olwells pour out a huge tone with minimum effort.

I don’t know if he makes lefty instruments, but Glen Lebot also makes some very good instruments (dixit to me Michael McGoldrick himself) at a very reasonnable price (I got my 6-keys for under 1200e).
Beside, he does flute rental in case you want to try them out before you buy.

[url]http://glenlebot-instruments.com/[/url]

and there’s a nice old Wylde 8-key, from Rudall Rose (left handed) at David Shorey’s Antique Flutes

http://www.antiqueflutes.com/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi

Slightly over your budget, but in the U.S., and you’d have to make sure of avoiding Customs or VAT. Is that possible with antique, used instruments?

For anyone interested, Martin Doyle does make left-handed keyed flutes. The cost is the same as for the right-handed models.