Suggestions for sets - a challenge

Suggestions for sets - a challenge

Here’s a small challenge - can anybody suggest 10 "killer" sets each of at least 3 tunes - the challenge being that each set can only contain a tune contained in Mallinsons 100 Essential Session Tunes ๐Ÿ™‚

Re: Suggestions for sets - a challenge

Thank you for the challenge Mr Mallinson, but no thanks.

OK then:

1st set: first three tunes in the book.
2nd set: next three tunes in the book
3rd set: etc.

Posted .

It isn’t a ‘small’ challenge for someone who, like me, has never heard of the eponymous Mallinson or his mis-titled book. So I’ll go with llig’s suggestion. Next question.

Posted by .

can’t you do it yourself seeing as you set out such specific requirements??

Posted .

Sorry I don’t have time. Between work/kids/wife/ I’ve been working on making 10 killer sets out of 100 Essential Session Tunes by Shanty. A great book….email me if you’d like to by it.

Re: a bogus challenge

Playing in sessions is an important part of traditional music. Cooking up sets from a book is not a good way to go about learning the tunes and the tradition, which are really inseparable. Do you play in sessions? Have you learned every tune played in the sessions you go to? Have you learned the sets as played by the greats? Unless the answer to all three questions is "yes," then forget about Mallinsons 100 Essential Session Tunes and learn the tunes and the sets that are common to your local session.
I see you’ve written many tunes. I wish you luck in that endeavor but caution you that new tunes composed by people who are relatively new to the tradition are seldom memorable and are probably not worth learning. On the other hand, there are thousands of tunes that *are* worth learning, which you can play with other people.

A cursory look at the Mallinson book (it’s on Amazon - "do the look inside this book", at the table of contents) will show that each and every tune in the book is on this site in the tunes section.

It’s a Mel Bay book, so the guarantee is that the paper is clean and the notes are well printed (with chords for the chord impaired).

Beyond that there’s really no need for a book that has tunes that most of us know, filled with settings that may be easy to disagree with.

PS - there is an interesting page in the back of the Mallinson book that is an index of alternative titles where, for instance, I found that ‘Ships are Sailing’ is also known as ‘Take her out and air her’. Never knew that.

I would think that the best way to do it would be to start by learning all of the 100 essential tunes in the book, then start playing one, and see what you feel like playing next, etc.

Without wanting to start another "pre-plan your sets, and noodle out little snippets, so everybody knows where you’re going" argument, I will say that for me, the most satisfying thing in a session is to just let tunes fly, and see what comes out.

I always find it somewhat amusing that all these "Essential Irish Session Tunes" books have a cover with a picture of some mist covered rural, rotting, abandoned cottage as if to convey some sort of "real Irish" authenticity.

What they should have is a picture of a group of musicians (four guitar players, two bodhrans and two whistle players) sitting in a neo-faux-Irish pub struggling to be heard underneath five giant 60" plasma screens playing football games. Now THAT would be authentic.

"It’s a Mel Bay book, "

It’s actually published by Dave Mallinson himself (Dave Mallinson Publications). For some reason, the CD bears the Mel Bay label, and Mel Bay distribute the book in the USA.

Interesting - curiously (in response to David Levine and Michael Gill) quite a few of the tune sequences in my most local session appear to have been taken from adjacent tunes in Mallinson’s books - though I’m not sure that these are always the best choices - the origins of these sets is complex and I don’t think that even a forensic dissection would be able to cleanly separate the new from the "traditional", even if such a distinction were possible. Some of the Mallinson sequences do make sense, whether by accident or design - and, for example, Fergal O’Gara - Silver Spire actually is a ‘classic’ set, though I’ve never heard it played in any session to my knowledge.

Yes it is curious about the mist covered cottage imagery - getting perilously close to the "Celtic" branding that burst out everywhere a few years ago.

In terms of ‘constructing’ sets - I see this as an act of composition - whether in the moment (as in see how the tunes flow) or deliberate and pre-meditated - but at some point a decision is being made.

I have a friend who insists that a set should always move *up* the scale, whch to her pretty much means a tune in D, then one in G, then one in A. Or related minors.
I think she’s mental, but she does put together some great sets.
I’m sure Mallinson’s "100 (Essentia/Enduring/Evergreen/Deciduous etc) Session Tunes" will have tunes in both D and G, and perhaps even A

Posted by .

Bren, that’s like the manual for set selection at the fleadh and Willie Clancy, so many D - G - A sets of reels, it gets predictable if you’re playing guitar!

Edgar
Maid Behind the Bar - Sally Gardens - St Anne’s (many musicians refuse to play the 2nd and 3rd tunes together!)
The Ship in Full Sail - Tom Billy’s - Out on the Ocean
The Wind that Shakes the Barley - The Humours of Glendart - Donnybrook Fair
The Silver Spear - The Bird in the Bush - Langstrom’s Pony
The Musical Priest - The Boys of Ballysodare - The Sligo Maid
The Tarbolton - The Longford Collector - The Sailor’s Bonnet
The Silver Spire - The Foxhunter’s Reel [G] - The Concertina Reel [A]
The Cup of Tea - Miss Monaghan’s - Over the Moor to Maggie
The Pigeon on the Gate - The Providence - Maud Millar
Morrison’s - Cooley’s - the Bucks of Oranmore

Posted by .

How dismally suicidal. And I thought playing this music was meant to be fun. What awkwardly *narrow* lives so many people must lead.

Someone’s in need of a good shagging.