Possibly Medieval tune, does anyone know the name?

Possibly Medieval tune, does anyone know the name?

I learnt this from a friend a while ago, but he didn’t know the name and to this day I have not been able to find the title either.

X:1
T:No Name
M:4/4
L:1/8
R:reel
K:Dm
DFAc A2 FE | DFEF DFEF | DFAc A2 FE |1 DFEF D2 A,2 :|2 DFEF D4 |
K:D
GBdB GBdB | GABc d2 cB | A2 AB A2 AF | DFEF D2 A,2 ||

The form is AAB AAB so that may give a clue as to what sort of tune this is. I like the strange modulation from D minor to D major then straight back to minor again, it’s a pretty cool tune! Hope someone can help!!

DJF

Posted .

Re: Possibly Medieval tune, does anyone know the name?

It’s called Longford Airport.

Do you know iwhether the title refers to Longford International Airport or Longford Metropolitan Airport?…

A friend calls it ‘Old Adam the Poacher’. It sounds like a version of the ‘Guid Man of Ballangee’ (spelling?) or ‘Hunt the Squirrel’.

It is a variant of Hunt the Squirrel, indeed, which is also played as a march, and is known in Ireland as a Wexford Mummer’s March. There are quite a few of these old tunes that would be played as a march, on the way to a house, then as a single jig, for dancing, when the musicians went inside. Brendan Begley plays a lovely march and jig from the Kerry Wrenboy tradition. ‘Hunting the Wren’ is closely related to the English mumming tradition, which survived more comprehensively in the more Anglicized areas of Ireland. This tune is probably Elizabethan, rather than Mediaeval, in origin. Many written tunes changed key as a result of variations in printing practice, rather than any deliberate decisions on the part of musicians, and it’s quite likely that this is what happened with this tune.

It is indeed called Adam the Poacher thank you Paul!

You can download the dots at the bottom of this page about Devonshire fiddling 1000 years ago:

http://www.sbgsongs.org/page14.htm

And thank you very much for the insight into the construction of the tune Dragut Reis.

Posted .

*100 years ago not 1000 although I would love to imagine what the state of Devonshire fiddling was like when William the Conqueror was invading…..

Posted .

To me it sounds a bit like the Scottish tune "The Bob of Fettercairn" aka "Good Wife Admit the Wanderer" aka "Had I the Wyte She Bad Me" - the second part has the same Lydian feel.

Of course it’s the medieval Longford Airport, not the modern one, that the title refers to.
Sorry !

See also recent discussions on the letter page of the Guardian, re Airport/airfield/aerodrome.