Michael McGoldrick - new stuff?

Michael McGoldrick - new stuff?

Anyone know what Michael McGoldrick is up to? It seems ages since "Fused" appeared. Is there a new album of solo stuff in the pipeline? Anyone else think he is the best ITM flute player around?

Re: Michael McGoldrick - new stuff?

I was playin wit mike @ celtic connections and he said that he has 2 albums in th works.! is finished and the other one (which is going to be a "Fused" type album is just kickin off.

Cheers Matheu

McGoldrick is a fantastic musician, but Matt Molloy is still king. Listening to the radio today, Molloy was playing a slow air, and it would put the hairs standing on the back of your neck. Absolutely amazing.

Have to agree with BowHand. While Mike McGoldrick is an excelent flute player, Matt Molloy is the undisputed flute champion of the world.

BTW — Bowhand, is that radio program archived anywhere on the web? Can I hear it?

-Max

Sorry Max, local station.

\McGoldrick’s like the Johnny Appleseed of Irish Music: starts a band, gets it famous, then off he goes to start (or help start) another one. You can tell where he’s been from the trail of progressive pure drop supergroups littering the countryside.

Posted by .

"Progressive pure drop"?!? My god, Matty. (LOL)

Sorry but McGoldrick is the best and most versitile musician you will ever hear. He should be given some kind of award. Not only did he start Lunasa, he has made 3 successful albums, is known all around the world in all different music scenes, has made music for films, and much more infact the list is endless. What that man has done is remarkable.
John Cafferkey

He’s a stonker of a winderly one, that’s fer tootin. Need to hear more, howsoever.

Posted by .

Don’t forget "At First Light" with Mike McGoldrick and John McSherry. This was Mike’s last full recording.

Posted by .

And let it be said, that Molloy was a member of the Bothy Band, Planxty, and of course, the Chieftains. Can’t for the life of me think of a good solo album though. Where did it all go wrong, Matt? 🙂)

Molloy … solo stuff

So you don’t rate Stony Steps? Can’t be many who don’t …

He, he. I’ll put more controversial here. Both Mike and Matt are great musicans, and indeed many young flute players are strongly influenced by Matt, but I think (IMHO) that Matt use to many rolls, and Mike has this ‘jazzy’ tendency I don’t quite like, so my personal favourite is …. Paul McGrattan.

No. He didn’t start Lunasa. Sean Smyth did, with Trevor and Donogh. Mike joined for a while afterwards.

Molloy has made several solo albums. There is Matt Molloy, (self titled) Heathery Breeze, Shadows on Stone, Contentment is Wealth, Stony Steps, and then there’s always Music from Matt Molloy’s. He also recorded an album with Paul Brady and Tommy Peoples, and another one called The Gathering, with Paul Brady and Andy Irivine.

-Max

Irony, Aidan? *beckons bulldozers"

Michael McGoldrick is currently in Manchester, or so i’m told, and is writing a lot of new material for a new album. He’s a mate of my fiddle teachers, and was at his place the other week.

Jaysus, what’s the ladeen writin’, his memoirs? Hasn’t he thousands of tunes to choose from? It’s "Top of the Pops" that these young fellas are aimin’ for. Begod, it wouldn’t happen in day.

…or my day.

whilst the living god is being discussed, just where did the ‘Mc’ come from ? at school he was Goldrick and also on Toss the Feathers material he is Goldrick.and lives in Whalley Range "Alivay!"

Wot? them bleedin’ norvernahs? Wot would they know abaaht it? They ain’t got a bleedin clue abaaht Oirish music, like wot we cockney-paddies knows abaaht it, mate. They got blahddy Bernard Manning, wot else can I say, gov?

Now then, now then! What’s oop with owr Bernard then. Nowt wrong with a bit o’ Northern Humour, but it’s probably above (or below!) you Southern Jessies!

Thanks Guys - great to know that some new stuff is on the way. I was disappointed to find people wanting to compare McGoldrick with others. I enjoy the playing of many flute people and I am offered staggered by their skills. I have to admit tthat I like McGoldricks playing the best. I remember listening to him when he was in the Young Tradition competition on the BBC and being amazed by his style and the sounds he was making

Don’t suppose there’s any news on McGoldrick’s new albums, anyone? The Vertical Records site says his new crossover album is due out round now-ish.

Posted by .

i was talkin to mike last week and he told me his new solo cd should hopefully be out during the summer.i cant wait for that!!!!!

Posted by .

If you’re reading this, Mike, you’ve owed me a packet of cigs and a couple of pints ever since the Tamworth Sow from Folkworks would’t give you a sub at the Durham Summer School some time in the mid 90s. Thanks, too, for the advice on the Overton blocked airway - it’s not worked since! Tee hee! Happy days!