Stickers on Instrument Cases

Stickers on Instrument Cases

Does anyone have stickers on the case of their instrument? If so/not, why/why not?

Re: Stickers on Instrument Cases

I used to have one of the MU’s keep music Live stickers on my box, which I had doctored to re-arrange the letters of LIVE into EVIL, but of cause you could have VILE.

TTFN
PP

Several years ago(before I played in sessions), a couple of guys started to come about the scene with their guitars. They were actually a bit full of themselves but the regulars/old hands used to "bitch" about them. "They’re just beginners. See their brand new cases, no stickers etc" So, I suppose many people like to have stickers to show people they’ve been around a bit at different pubs, festivals, countries etc. However, they’re often just as guilty of posing as the guys with the new cases in pristine condition.

I actually do have stickers on some of my cases (but not my fiddle cases) but I don’t make a point of collecting them wherever I go. My favourite festival is Tonder and it’s more out of love for this festival that I keep the stickers rather than anything else. It’s the only festival where I’ll collect T shirts etc even although I go to several others.

John

They won’t stick to my fiddle case…..πŸ™

There are no Frankie Kennedy Winter School stickers. Maybe I should suggest those next time. ;)

I like my fiddle case being in pristine condition. I also like walking into a pub I’ve never visited before and keeping folks guessing. But especially when meeting new people, what’s more important isn’t where you’ve been, but how much of what you’ve absorbed comes thru at that moment.

I’ve performed all across Europe and North America, I’ve competed at the international Eistedfodd in Llangollen, Wales, the one country in the world that holds singers in greater esteem than any other profession in existence, and come away with a gold medal. ( … You guessed it, I stole it from an inattentive Czech.) I’ve given a command performance for Queen Elizabeth. None of that means a damn if on a given night I sound like a dying hippo…

I suppose another way to look at it is not so much where you’ve been, but where you’ve been invited back….

When but a callow youth I used to collect stickers all the time and stick them on my fiddle case. After a while they were the only thing holding it together (the old heavy duty cardboard type).

Apart from the usual festival stuff my favourites are a 2JJ Radio (Sydney) sticker… a truly anarchic radio station from the 70s which boasted an hilarious sketch show called Doctors and Nurses and a character on one show called Captain Goodvibes …a surfing pig. Only in Australia.

The other is a sticker from Fairplay, Colorado advertising a "burro" race with the invitation to "Git your ass up the pass"!

Happy Days.

I still have the case and enjoy looking at the stickers and remembering.

Good thread Danny….it got me interested again.

Well, lads, I must confess. I don’t have any myself. And I started this thread thinking people would say, "Nah, they’re so naff" - which up until now, is what I’d’ve thought. But the posts so far are changing my mind. Slowly. I suppose it’s up to the individual. I’d always viewed them as slightly juvenile (so says Mr. Mature, I don’t think) - but I see why folks would have them, for sentimental reasons, or like Pied, making a quasi-political statement.

Yep, I have a large red sticker on my bodhran case which reads " FRAGILE - CONTAINS CYMBALS" the sticker usually allows me a head start sprint down the street before the posse realise there’s a bodhran in there and start chasing me.

Some 20 years ago, the Musicians’ Union produced "Keep Music Live" stickers which all non-members seemed to display on their cases.
The other half of the duo I was in at the time, produced some stickers saying "Keep Music Live - Sack Geoff Wright".
I retorted with stickers saying "Keep Music Vile - Employ John Ingram".

Touche!.

I have a small brass plate with my initials engraved on it. That’s about it as far as my full set whistle case goes… Had one wander off one time so I got paranoid. Like it’s really going to help THAT much, but psychologically it relaxes me πŸ™‚

Take care,
John

I’ve got Mr. Cotter’s business card glued to the inside of my case, but nothing on the outside, though I do have one of those velcro ski-holder things wrapped round it to keep it shut due to the fact that it’s been dropped a few times (not with the flute in it!), and the catches are a bit bent.
Don’t know if this info is of any use.

Having Irish stickers on your case can be quite dangerous if you live in Belfast-People have been beaten for much less.I just stick with the simple yet elegant "fragile".

Posted by .

There used to be a rather famous sticker from Gordon Simpson’s, Edinburgh which read "Play it? I can hardly carry it! "
:>))

I once had a sticker on my bike case that said:
"Smoke Crack and Worship Satin" (not the Irish craic!)
The team manager made me scrape it off since the case was technically team property………

Nothing on my flute case which is really a pistol case.

Joyce

Posted by .

Joyce, I think I like you more every time you post. That’s hilarious.

That was a good sticker! hahahaha…..

Jeremy - are you still going to the Savannah festival? I can’t go, but want to hear all about it if you do go. One of my favorite flute players in Boston loves Savannah would consider moving there (so now two music friends are thinking about moving South in the US). He said there’s a nice Irish community…..I can’t wait to hear your report. I really wish I could go next week!

Joyc

Posted by .

e

Posted by .

On my old banjo-case for the five-string i had one of those giant ones that read "DANGER, DO NOT OPERATE WITHOUT EAR PROTECTION!

But My newer cases are all foam or gigbags, and I like the clean look of the nylon-cover on my foam mando case.

Lars

btw. T

Big up for Tonder Festival, what a great festival it is! you get the best treatment and even driven to your hotel at any hour of the night in case you’ve been up partying too long!

As for Stickers, i really like them, only got an Orkney sticker on my case, always forget to get them, was going to get some made up for the band i play in, but ended up costing too much. Good form of advertising tho, so maybe in the future.

I Always enjoy looking at other peoples cases and seeing the stickers on them, gives you an insight as to were they’ve been and how travelled they are!

Jamiedj

Danny

I don’t have stickers on my cases cos I don’t like stickers on my cases.

As for other peoples cases - that’s their business - it doesn’t bother me one way or the other.

I’m intrigued by the notion JohnJ told us about, where people thought that shiny new cases indicated lack of experience. How shallow of anyone to think a) that it was so, and b) that it mattered.

Keep up the cheerful craic folks. To be truthful I need cheering up a little bit, I’ve just discovered that what they thought was a gastric ulcer is an unidentified tumour in my stomach, so I’m waiting for tests and all that sort of stuff.

Dave πŸ™‚

my fiddle case is clean (‘cause it’s fairly new, and nylon), but my guitar case has a sticker saying "with booze you lose, with dope you hope - blow your mind - smoke gunpowder" on it.

Geez, I can’t spell or type…..Satan, not Satin! (thanks Danny)

Posted by .

Geez, Dave! What a bummer! If it helps, I know someone who recently had a similar prob, just this summer, and has now made a complete recovery.
Wish you better.

Danny.

Ah, man! I thought "Satin" was better.

I agree with you too, Dave, and I don’t think these musicians would necessarily have made the same comments about everyone who had new cases. It was just that they were "newcomers" acting as if they knew it all, as I recall.

John

My god, Dave. Keep us posted. Good vibes and love coming your way from Colorado. Please be healthy. 😏 Laugh a lot, it’s supposed to be good for that kind of ailment.

I just took two conference stickers off my new case (for a conference we played and needed stickers to get about the joint), which has a Cordura cover. They peeled right off, because you’re not meant to put stickers on these. Just a bit of a scrape, and there they go. So, no collecting stickers possible for me.

My old viola case, now that was plastered with all kinds of stickers, from everywhere I went.

I think it is now time to get out my bumper sticker paper and manufacture some stickers. Anyone fancy my sending them a sticker that says "Smoke, Craic, and Worship Satin"? (sic, sic, and sic) This will severely annoy the couple of Satan-worshippers I do know…that’s gotta be worth something.

I don’t have any stickers yet. I’ve seen two that stood out.
"Get your ass to church"
"Jesus is coming. Look busy"

Must be that strong fundamentalist indoctrin…, er rather, upbringing!

steve

I thought stickers went out of fashion at the same time as festival badges?
My old fiddle-case looked very "dated":
political stickers on the bottom - anti-nuclear, no neutron bomb, support CND etc.
Folk stickers on the top: Edinburgh Folk Festival, Folk Club Siegen, an Irish Flag, bands Ossian, Pyewackett, Ramox and one saying "Make Folk Not Disco" (cringe, you native speakers)

Geoff, *you* in a duo with John Ingram? Wonder if he’s still got this straggly beard these days.

Posted by .

Dave - all the best for a speedy recovery. Will be thinking of you…

Posted by .

I suppose I don’t have any stickers is cos a flute case is probably too small for any. Also, as may be the case (no pun intended) for other players, the case for the flute is kind of part of the whole deal, if ever I were to sell it, and as it’s made of leather, I don’t want compromise its value. Does that sound mean? Also I daren’t put any on my box case lest it gives people the impression that I can play any more than a couple of dozen tunes (see John J’s first post here).

That just won’t do, Dave. I’m afraid you’re going to have to hurry up and get better right away, please.

Posted by .

My favorite sticker is on someone else’s guitar case and says: "KILL YOUR TELEVISION". I tried sticking souvenir stickers on my bouzouki case, from my travels in Ireland, but decided those memories were too private to explain. The only "sticker", I have on my case now is a streak of mud that is on there from a time when I fell down, on a slick & muddy back road, going to a great session. After ten years I can look at that mud streak and recall the session as if it was yesterday. I hope it doesn’t go away before I do.

My current fiddle case hasn’t got a smooth exterior, so I’ve no stickers on it, although I’ve thought about putting something on to make it a little less… black (people are always tripping over it at late night festival sessions). When I did have a case with a sticker-able outside, I didn’t have any stickers on it anyway. Although on the "remembrance of times past" front, it did have some fragments of purple heather flowers caught in the hinges from a Skye moorland session… they survived for years there. God I’m sentimental.

Posted by .

Never bothered with stickers - advertising where you’ve been, making silly statements - what’s the point? Just does in your street cred. Well, OK, I once had a large black-on-white sticker on my fiddle case which read "Shit Happens". It was a good ice-breaker in a strange crowd, and there’s an element of truth that phrase anyway. I never transferred it to my newer case with the waterproof fabric covering.

Stickers on others’ cases doesn’t bother me at all. They usually give a bit of insight into person owning them.

Jim

Yes, indeed you are, Rog of the Three Decades Old Broken Heart, dear, but luckily I don’t live with you so it’s not annoying. Heh. Jim, since you believe the stickers give insight into a psyche, is that why you don’t have any on yours? So you won’t get "sprung"? ;)

Don’t have any stickers yet, though I *love* having a Continental "preferred passenger" sticker on a Calzone tenor banjo case—it’s unbelievable how much more easily flight attendants find space in the overhead racks when they think you’re flying first class.

AM thinking of getting a T-shirt that says "I like dis focke muzik!" (see https://thesession.org/discussions/2756/comments#comment54278)

Hey, Zina, they just have to learn to wait - then they get a pleasant surprise! πŸ™‚

Jim

Zina. I knew you’d say that. You’re a girlie!! πŸ™‚

Jim

LOL — a predictable girlie, I guess! Er…is being a girlie good or bad, Jim? *smirk*

Always good to be a girlie. Love ‘em all !!! πŸ™‚

Jim

On my student case we used all kinds of gadgets when performing and my fiddle case at the time was in the same style. I remember we performed at the premiere of a Batman movie once and i glued /taped on a picture of Joker (Jack Nicolson) wearing a cool hat. It’s still on that case along with other hats…

Nowadays I prefer mine black. If I wanted to make a point in having a nice case I’d go for something handcrafted.

I’d like to stensel "YES IT’S A VIOLIN" on my case so I wouldn’t have to answer the question: "What’s in the case" all the time!

Ha Ha, robbie - but wouldn’t be even more fun with one saying "Yes, It’s Machine Gun" or even "No, it’s Not a Machine Gun"? - Sorry, just my bizarre sense of humour. Or one for a flute case, "No, I’m not a Snooker Cue"

Coat, please?

Don’t have one saying "three bombs inside", or you’ll never be able to take the thing to America.

I’m with HighlandSun on this one - I prefer not to do anything that others might interpret as an attempt at making a statement, particularly as I am a beginner in this kind of music, and I don’t like giving people information that they can use to form assumptions before they actually know me. It’s a lifelong habit acquired as a result of not fitting other people’s moulds and dealing with their dogged attempts to disregard this fact. (Actually, that’s why my profile says very little, and for a while, said nothing at all.)

That’s not to say I think other people with case stickers are trying to make statements, most of it’s just fun and memories. They say that "if you try to make an impression, that’s the impression you make" - you can usually pick who’s out to make a statement, and they usually succeed without any advertising help from their case.

Sounds like you cop more than your fair share, Dave - hope you get good news soon.

Posted by .

Ok, defo "Boing!" said zebedee, this time.

I’ve got some whacko topics lined up so keep tuned in, peeps.

(~~~Big Yawn~~~)

Danny.

Down here in Aus we have a really annoying advert for a bank (surprise, surprise) with the slogan ‘Which bank?’. Recently saw a violin case with a sticker ‘Which bank? They’re all B*st*rds!’. Got to get me one a those…

No stickers on my pipe case cuz I’m not sure its the permanent one, but I have an Armagh Pipers Club sticker that I SO WANT TO PUT ON A CASE !!!!

My guitar playing buddy in college had a V for victory sign and a WoodyGuthrie "This machine kills fascists" sticker

Posted by .

Thanks for the kind thoughts regarding my health problems, people. I’ll let you know more when there’s any more to say.

Dave

;o)

Get well soon and chin up, Dave. I’ve been there and am fine now.

erm Zina, I think you’re thinking of someone else… if I broke my heart three decades ago it was probably ‘cos I lost a tonka toy in the sandpit. πŸ™‚

Posted by .

I have stickers on my guitar, mandolin and bouzouki cases and make no apologies for it. If it gets a friendly conversation or a mutual reminscence going, why not?

In the past few years, I’ve actually made my own "stickers" by printing something out on slightly heavier paper and using heavy-duty clear tape to affix it to the case. A few of these are private jokes which I won’t bother to go into now, but I did one that says "It’s pronounced ba-zoo-KEE, not ba-zoo-KAH" — don’t think I’ll be taking that on airplane anytime soon, though.
For those who familiar with the original Cook-Moore "Bedazzled," I made a sticker which says "You fill me with inertia."
I also taped a Pedro Martinez baseball card to my ‘zouki case. If he ever goes to the Yankees, I’m going to be tearing that one off, too.
Sometimes it’s what you acquire, sometimes it’s what falls into your hands. Once, we got in the mail an offer for some sort of kids’ entertainment/education product, and included was a whole bunch of stickers that were supposed to represent different countries. So I put "England" on my guitar case, "Greece" on the bouzouki, "Ireland" and "Scotland" on the mando.

Pied Piper, I actually have that "Keep Music Evil" sticker for my mando (which attracts great interest and amusement).

Posted by .

Whistle Bare, I can relate to the mud. Somehow some mud managed to get inside my locked mandolin case during a ride in the back of a pick up truck across Cambodia and I’ve vowed never to clean it. Likewise, Robbie B, I could do with a sticker reading, ”No, it’s not a f***ing ukelele”, on the side of the mandolin that is, not the case.

I don’t like to be flashy, so no stickers on on my cases because then I’d look like a show off and probably become obsessed with collecting instead of playing!!

A sticker on a case can be a useful quick identification, if nothing else. Once, after an orchestral rehearsal two cellists in my section inadvertently took home each other’s cello. They both had identical black polymer hard cases.
Trevor

I used to have a Texas State Troopers sticker in the back window of my old Morris Minor, because I mischievously thought it would confuse people, - since they would be expecting a Greenpeace sticker or something along those lines. In fact, before that, I had a CND sticker with a daffodil on it (a Welsh CND sticker, see?) and the back window got kicked in by vandals in Bristol. Perhaps because Bristol is across the water from South Wales and therefore full of people who hate the Taffs on principle?

Ivor Cutler used to publish little books of stickers and one of my favourites simply said ‘Made of Dust’.

I must say, I love stickers. It’s the eternal 7-yr-old in me… (jostling for space with the stroppy teenager, who also refuses to leave - and also loves stickers, of course, so long as they’re cyncial and offensive) but the only sticker on my instrument cases is a Muscadet sticker on my guitar case, and a gold heart on the same case, that was given to me by a Charity collector in Paris, who charmed me by addressing me as ‘Princesse’…

Dave, sorry to hear about your strife! Keep well. Hope you get good news soon. xxxx H.

Posted by .

Cyncial should actually read cynical… in case anybody rushes off to look it up…

Posted by .

I’ve always thought there were two good reasons for having stickers on your instrument cases - one is to make it distinct from other peoples’, the other is to make it distinctly YOURS. When my daughter adopted my old japanese guitar I bought her a gig-bag for it, and told her to personalise it to avoid confusion at the school music-room; it now boasts a hand-painted celtic scroll down the neck area, and a big embroidered badge from that shop in Dingle. No-one else will touch it !
My own cases are covered in stickers - as the old ones wear off I try and find new ones that keep in the spirit. My only complaint is that the new fibre-glass cases are resistant to some of the glues, especially on political stickers.
GP

I have a Donegal shield-shaped badge on my fiddle case and an Irish flag sticker on my pipes case… hoping to accumilate more!

I distinctly remember a guitar case belonging to either DaithΓ­ Sproule or Mark Kelly at the winter school which was absolutely plastered in stickers - mainly those ‘fragile’ ones you get for travelling with the wine glasses on them.

I like the idea of collecting stickers or badges from different places/workshops etc.

Posted by .