Paddy Fahy’s in D mixolydian sounds good behind almost any other jig

Paddy Fahy’s in D mixolydian sounds good behind almost any other jig

Is there a tune you can play in front of this tune that DOES NOT sound good? No matter what tune this tune follows the transition sounds great. Why is that? Are there other tunes like that? Is it because of the mixolydian mode? Have I had too much coffee this morning already?

Re: Paddy Fahy’s in D mixolydian sounds good behind almost any other jig

A jig in F or Em might do - But then I’ve been drinking Tea, just now myself - lol
jim,,,

Better still shanty, here is a wee easy one in
F major I wrote for you, to try out - lol.
jim,,,
X:1
T:Tea or Coffee
C:Jim McAuley
M:6/8
R:Jig
K:F
F2C FGA |c2d cAF|~G3e zdz|G2e dcA |
FDC FGA |c2d cAF|~G3e zdz|cAG F2z:|
_Bge~_B3|_Bge_B3|A~F2 dz=B|c2d cAF |
_Bge~_B3|_Bge_B3|A~F2 dz=B|cAG F2z:||

ⒹⒺⒺ≖ⒿⒶⓎ≖ⒺⒻⒻ This one-
https://thesession.org/tunes/849

This tune sounds good coupled with any other tune in any other key! It’s like magic! Try it!

Jim— do you have this on your youtube/can you give me a link? I learn better by ear(I barely read music or ABC’s). I learned Aarons Key from your youtube and it is still one of my favorite tunes.
Thanks!

I’ll have a go at it tomorrow Shanty…
F major not my fav, key - lol..
jim,,,

Jim I even tried to put it on ‘tune a tron’ but that didn’t work! I’m eager to learn it. Don’t know a single tune in the key of F so I might as well start with yours!

I put this tune I wrote in for shanty… a menember of
this ITM site The Session - https://thesession.org/

He was wanting this jig I wrote In F Major into youtube,,,
Its for an Idea he had on a set of jig’s, and wanted to learn
it by ear.. Its not amy Fav- Key Shanty,But you could always
try it up in G Major…
jim,,,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr3L_VdK5N4&feature=channel_video_title

Shanty -
I have the spelling right on the U-Tube video — lol.
jim,,,

Thanks Jim! Cool tune and I’m off work tommarow so I’ll give it a go on banjo.

I am sometimes mystified by the question "What tune goes good with whatever tune?"

Music is at least made up of contrasts. In classical music there may be a fast part followed by a slow part, a rhythm change … So how does this apply toe Irish music? Notice that usually the first part of a tune is ‘low’ and the second part is ‘high’. It’s a contrast. That’s OK within a tune, but how do you pick ‘tunes that go together?’ But that is exactly the problem. You shouldn’t pick tunes that go together because there is no contrast. Not only should you not pick tunes that sound alike, they should be in different keys or modes so that there is a contrast. Have you ever heard people complain that Irish music all sounds the same. I think it would be misguided to work at making that true.

A simple example: The Duke of Leinster would go well with The Sally Gardens - don’t do it!!! Cooley’s reel is a fine contrast. As a matter of fact even non-musicians recognize you have changed tunes - a contrast.

Take some jigs: Here you have great choices. You have jigs that use a lot of repeated notes such as The Rambling Pitchforks. Then you have tunes like The Blackthorn Stick which tends to move melodically up and down the keyboard or whatever. Switch from one to another and note the contrast. It doesn’t matter much which one comes first, but I would put the Rambling Pitchforks first. Try it, you’ll like it.

Paddy Fahy’s Reel in D mixolydian would not go well with The Broken Pledge in the same key.