Can anyone recommend a wooden flute for small hands?

Can anyone recommend a wooden flute for small hands?

I’m in the early stages of researching a wooden flute to buy (so I know how much to save up!!) I have small hands and fingers and recently tried someone’s normal sized keyless flute and found it very uncomfortable.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks!

Re: Can anyone recommend a wooden flute for small hands?

Terry McGee Grey-Larson Preferred model. Very small holes but still has substantial volume. I play one myself. You can find these used; Terry is not currently taking new orders.

Patrick Olwell’s Rudall model flute. It’s Master Olwell’s small-holed flute. Very hard to find used. His waiting list is a year if you have the time.

Casey Burns small-holed flute. Casey will custom place the holes to match your hands.

John Gallagher small-holed Rudall. Holes almost as small as the McGee. He’s taking orders with a 4-5 month wait. Available used at times.

Most other makers can offset holes if requested.

I have very small hands and can easily play nearly any standard D wooden flute, Rudall or Pratten style using left hand piper’s grip and right hand either standard or piper’s grip depending on the spacing.

Michael, can you give a detailed description of how you do the piper’s grip? If I understand it correctly, the left thumb is on the outside of the flute pushing in, rather than supporting the flute from underneath. This seems very awkward to me, but perhaps I am wrong or am missing something.

Thanks.

Posted by .

Ailin, no in my piper’s grip variant, the both the left and right thumbs are underneath the flute. Everything is very relaxed, essentially if you put your hands in front of you with your palms facing in and your fingers separated and relaxed, you just put the flute/chanter/low whistle with the left ring finger pad covering the third hole down and the middle joint of the left index and middle finger covering the other two holes. Right hand is all using the second joint, not the finger pads, but on some flutes, including my own medium-size holed Metzler, I’ll use piper’s grip on the left hand and finger pads on the right.

I should post a video…

Michael,
I hold the flute like so: thumbs under the flute and fingers lying flat across the holes so the area of the finger tips between the little peak and the joint covers the hole. On my Boehm, the very tip of my fingers lie in the round recess of the keys so the fingers are sort of coming down on the keys, much like when you drum your fingers, going from pinky to index finger, on a table. Would you call what I do on wooden flute a modified piper’s grip?

Posted by .

That’s a piper-style grip, but very different from mine. On my left hand, only the ring finger pad covers the hole, the index and middle finger holes are covered by the flesh between the first and second joint.

Blayne Chastain has a video showing the grip at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nca0OT5e6yI

Hi guys thanks for the feedback - I think Pipers grip would be a good thing for me to get used to…will get practising!

Having tried a standard keyless flute I think I really would struggle to play it quickly - the Casey Burns flute seems like an excellent option, and I will be looking into all the of the links.

Many thanks and happy playing!