A flute question

A flute question

Hi there I bought a flut the other week. It has a crack in the top bought abought 3 to 4 inch in length. (not a hair line crack) It is a Rose wood flute no name on it with 4 keys. When is a crack to far along befor a flut becomes not worth the effort to restore? Thanks Rob.

Re: A flute question

Any crack can be successfully repaired. If the flute is a decent one, it is always worth doing.

Posted by .

That is my thinking as well. I just have to find a repairer around Cambridge Ontario Canada.

Aside from the usual ways to find a flutemaker, you could ask at a and m woods in cambridge. They sell wood for instrument makers of all sorts, and may be able to point you in the right direction.

Posted by .

most clarinet/oboe/bassoon repair people have experience with fixing cracks in wood. shouldn’t be too difficult to find someone proficient.

Having repaired cracks in a handful of antique flutes, I do not recommend going to a local instrument repairer if they are not already proficient with antique flutes. If the head is cracked due to differential shrinkage of the wood around the liner tube (as is usually the case) that tube should really be pulled and the head section rebored to suite (after proper humidification of course). Then the crack can be repaired without leaving an ugly fill line and potential ongoing leaks. You will most likely need pads replaced as well as new tennon wrapping. Also, there can be some very subtle socket cracks on an antique flute that are easy to miss, but have a rather profound effect on tone. Probably your best bet for repairs in Canada is to send it to Forbes Christie (though they may not be cheap). Jon Cochran in California would be another recommended repairer. Of course if you are handy, and have a stock of tools, you can attempt it yourself…

Good luck

Hey Latticino, That would be a very expensive repair,I’d want to be certain it was a worthy flute, otherwise I’d fill the crack, it is lined.