Oh no, Not Cavan again!

Oh no, Not Cavan again!

Got a reply from comhaltas that Fleadh 2012 will be…

Cavan Town. Dates are 12th - 17th August.

Really disappointed. It too small a town and has a poor selection of pubs with little atmosphere. I was looking forward to heading to Sligo or Ennis. Anyone agree?

I’ll be giving next year a miss anyhow.

Posted .

Re: Oh no, Not Cavan again!

I agree it seemed a small town but the competitions seemed to be spread out over miles…gimme Ennis anyday…

I’VE NEVER BEEN, I MIGHT GIVE IT A GO THIS YEAR. I DO THINK IT UNFAIR TO HAVE IT IN THE SAME TOWN 3 IN A ROW THOUGH

Yeah its a pity that it’s in Cavan again. It is probably too small for it. But there is a massive lobby group for Cavan so thats how it works…..

Posted by .

I went to Cavan both years and enjoyed myself, apart from the difficulty of finding anywhere close to the centre to park my van for the weekend, but really 3 years in the same place is too many. For me, living in the SW corner of Ireland, both Tullamore and Cavan were a long trek, and it would be nice to see the Fleadh move round the country more often, so the same people don’t always have the long journey.

i liked cavan a lot, but was hoping for ennis for a change of scenery. as a concertina player it would be nice to spend a week in clare, 😛

i thought the pubs and session spots were great during the week of scoil éigse. there were too many people on the weekend to have any good music, but oh well.

i’m an american, so it’s ALL a long trip for me. i’m looking forward to belfast (or was it derry?), which was hoping to have it in 2013.

Posted by .

Crappy Cavan Ahh well money money money.Crappy Cavan with its safety concerns again.

Didnt go this year and will def not be going next.If its anything like Tullamore year 3 was terrible with small attendance and rip of prices.

Must look up some alternatives for that week .If anybody knows of good alternatives instead of Crappy Cavan weekends please post and advertise.Im sure you will benefit from those seeking to boycott and avoid Crappy Cavan.

My, some people have either short memories or no sense of demography!

Between 1951 and 1971 the Fleadh Cheoil was held in 14 different places, including such major centres of population as Loughrea, Cashel, Clones, Thurles, Swinford and Gorey.

It was only after the Dublin Fleadh of 1971 (which didn’t take place until 1972 because of the situation in the North) when, for various political and monetary reasons, CCÉ decided to keep the Fleadh away from the ‘riff-raff’, that the festival settled into its ‘appropriate’ milieu - a location miles away from anywhere.

Since then the Fleadh has only taken place over the last forty years in eleven locations: Listowel (13 times); Buncrana (4); Ennis (1); Clones (1)); Kilkenny (2); Sligo (3); Clonmel (5); Ballina (2); Enniscorthy (2); Letterkenny (2); Tullamore (3); and Cavan (2).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_venues_for_All_Ireland_Fleadh_Cheoil_na_h%C3%89ireann

People have moaned about Cavan being ‘too small’, but it’s certainly bigger in terms of population than Buncrana, Clones or Listowel and has better accommodation facilitiies than those three towns just mentioned as well as Ballina, Enniscorthy or Clonmel.

It’s also not unusual for the Fleadh to be held for three years running in the same town - Listowel 1972-74 and 1985-87, Sligo 1989-1991, Clonmel 1992-94, Tullamore 2007-09 - though the pattern between 1995 and 2006 was two years each for the various venues.

For the record, the Fleadh has never been held in the following counties: Antrim; Armagh; Carlow; Cork; Derry; Down; Fermanagh; Kildare; Laois; Leitrim; Limerick; Longford; Louth; Meath; Tyrone; or Wicklow.

Discounting the Six Counties and those with proximity to Dublin it’s puzzled me that the Fleadh has never been held in Cork. Perhaps Cathy might like to take that up with her local CCÉ branch.

As for Belfastrab, I’ve no axe to grind with either the local Cavan organisers or CCÉ (and no interests of any kind in either), but his negative posts on this board suggest that he failed to find himself in Seán Gallagher’s pocket.

Posted by .

"but his negative posts on this board suggest that he failed to find himself in Seán Gallagher’s pocket"

Unlike many others including comhaltas….the whole thing stinks of corruption and greed. We need some transparency and why not some of those counties men tioned by Mac, Antrim; Armagh; Carlow; Cork; Derry; Down; Fermanagh; Kildare; Laois; Leitrim; Limerick; Longford; Louth; Meath; Tyrone; or Wicklow

Ive no axe to grind either except that Crappy Cavan for a third year is a very poor decision.

‘Didnt go this year and will def not be going next.If its anything like Tullamore year 3 was terrible with small attendance and rip of prices.’

So you’re writing from an informed position, Rab?

Posted by .

Yeah went on first year nearly got crushed to death at the Sharon Shannon live gig .If the crush doesnt get you the rip of prices will.

So that ‘informed position’ doesn’t include Cavan 2011, Rab?

Posted by .

Belfastrab - I get the impression that you didn’t like Cavan? Apart from the crush I enjoyed Cavan in 2010 but felt it was better this year. The weather was better for a start. None of the crowd that I was with felt that they were being ripped off. The pints and the dinners weren’t any dearer than anywhere else. Having said that I would have preferred a new venue next year. Two years in one place is enough

Cavan was grand. I liked the buildings and the atmosphere, I thought the small nature of the town added to that. I liked the street art too, and thought the main stage in town was brilliantly located!

ENNIS ENNIS ENNIS ENNIS ENNIS

Comhaltas only looks like a charity.

Ennis or Sligo would’ve been wonderful. Cavan again? Ugh. That’s all I have to say.

@MacCruiskeen: Geoff, that Wikipedia list is slightly inaccurate. Reading it you would think that the 1971 All-Ireland was originally due to be held in Dublin, but was cancelled and held (in Dublin) in June 1972.
In fact it was due to be held in Listowel but was cancelled by Comhaltas at the last minute as a protest against Internment.
Many people, especially from outside Ireland, had made travel and accommodation arrangements and travelled to Listowel anyway.
A bunch of us went from London and found the town full of sessions throughout the weekend. The only things missing were the competitions and concerts.

"but was cancelled by Comhaltas at the last minute as a protest against Internment."
Is that correct? If so, an interesting reflection on the sort of thinking of the time. Sort of cutting off your nose to spite your face, looking back. I doubt if anyone in the British or Unionist establishment of the day cared two hoots about a festival celebrating what would have been seen as Irish nationalist culture.

Posted .

Well, TWH, there were many who thought along those lines, but there were others who felt some gesture had to be made. The world of traditional Irish music obviously contains many shades of political opinion, like any other group of people.
It would be interesting to know if the GAA (an organisation that has been compared in some respects to CCE) cancelled any matches at the time.
The fact that the son of one of the senior office holders of CCE was an internee may have had some influence in the decision.