John Joe Kelly Bodhran Microphone?

John Joe Kelly Bodhran Microphone?

Hey all one of my friends was looking to buy a new microphone/pick up for his bodhran.

Any one know what mic or pick up John Joe Kelly uses on stage?

Re: John Joe Kelly Bodhran Microphone?

Jeremy won’t let me answer posts like this one. I value my gonads far too much to disobey. 😉

So, you’ve been snipped, eh?

I could only tell you that once I knew whether you were a boy or a girl.

I’ve just googled, as I’m sure you have, and the only mention seems to be of him using an SM57 microphone.

\())

Funny, it sounds like someone is actually advocating AMPLIFYING a bodhran.

What was the question, seriously?
😉

Posted by .

Piece, if you never heard Flook it may surprise you to learn each of them used amplification.

Yeah, that bubbling drum of his, so loud, drives me nuts. Thank God we don’t need ’em in sessions.

Thanks Babs Gordon

"Piece, if you never heard Flook it may surprise you to learn each of them used amplification.

# Posted on October 20th 2011 by Babs Gordon "

No!!
No??
You are kidding, right?
Why, the very idea -
Who ever would have thought it -
I’ll be darned,
what the hey,
mercy sakes,
Godfrey Daniels,
knock me over with a feather -

Really??????

Well, that’s amazing, Babs, simply amazing.
😏

Posted by .

Anyway, I thought this website was called “thesession,” not “thegig.”

greenhouses - stones ?

sorry, glasshouses

Huh?

You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.

Posted .

Steve - I seem to remember you giving what seemed to be good practical advice about microphones and amplification in the past, so whats the problem ? It’s one of the ways in which this site can be a good resource.

I do remember

Saw a guy banging a Bodhran in celebration in Tripoli on the TV this afternoon. You could still hear it above the gunfire.

Yes, David, but please attend to the context of what I was saying, and remember that a harmonica is not a bodhran. And I’ve said ’til I’m blue in the face that I would never turn up to your session or anybody else’s expecting to be allowed to use an amp.

Or a bodhran.

John Joe uses an SM57 or very similar and always has a very good soundman, which helps a lot.

I hope that answers your question, without all the added nonsense from “1001 tired and inane things to say about bodhrans” and other sub-Jon Kiparsole ribticklers.

m.d.

Ah, the good old SM57. That’s a gem of a workhorse. Also, just the right frequency response for that kind of thing, hence why they are used over and over for live drum micing.

The value of gonads

Steve, the meaningful discussion here is what people submit in their comments; not solely what the administration desires.

Yeah, I remember punk bands, and does anyone remember the marvellous John Otway? The SM57 was THE workhorse. You could throw it about and it could land on the stage front down from 30 feet and still work. Just a kind of anarchic BBBBFFFF.

Sound guys during the sound check would just say “ONE ONE ONE ONE” into it. No point saying “TWO” because it wasn’t for that.

Yes, a perfect bodhran mike.

Posted .

I get so confused -

was that “TWO!” or “PTEW!”

Posted by .

Eh?

I think Steve’s point is that he was discussing amplifying a musical instrument, not a drum. 😉

Whether or not an instrument is musical depends on the player.

. . . feel free to disagree. It’s the way of the mustard afterall.

This site is still called theSESSION, n’est-ce pas? I love good drum-playing on a lot of my CDs and have even enjoyed it at good gigs. Where I demur is its use in sessions.

Quite right. And Christy Moor is one of my favorite drummers. I particularly love the sound of his drum on that Lord Baker track off Words and Music. Brilliant drumming, brilliant recording/production. Very subtle.

Posted .

Christy Moore in the 70s was where I first heard the bodhran, or heard of it even. Maybe that’s true for a lot of other people too - it certainly seemed to become more prevalent after he appeared with it on album covers etc.

It’s really spooky and effective on Well Below the Valley. Very sparse and alone, two things you couldn’t often say about it at sessions!
I had no idea it would become such a soundblocking monster.

Posted by .

“Quite right. And Christy Moor is one of my favorite drummers. I particularly love the sound of his drum on that Lord Baker track off Words and Music. Brilliant drumming, brilliant recording/production. Very subtle.”

Can’t argue with that tsunami of sarcasm. He’s also a distinctly average singer at best. Damned lucky he happened to fall in with three of the best musicians of their time, otherwise he’d still be shlepping round English folk clubs on his todd in an old Volvo and earning hee-haw for the privilege.

(Prepares for the sweaty hoor’s disciples to pounce on his heresy…)

m.d.

The reason bodhran players don’t like Christy Moore, of course, is because he makes it look as easy as it is. They hate that, they want it to be complicated and loud so they can get some credit.

Posted .

“The reason bodhran players don’t like Christy Moore, of course, is because he makes it look as easy as it is.”

Speaking only for myself here - I don’t agree with that assessment. I don’t like him cos he’s feckin terrible. Most people start with 1x bodhran and 1x stick. Christy couldn’t even manage the stick. Lucky they didn’t give him a Rudall flute - he’d have taken the bottom two joints off and… nuff said?

Slaggin St Christy is obviously blasphemy of the first order.
m.d.

I wish Bodhran Bliss was here to give you a lesson in playing with your finger

Posted .

Which finger in particular did Bliss play with, then? I’ve only seen the hilarious vid of him at the hurling match. “Stick? Check. Bodhran? Check. Steamin? Check. Let’s PLAAAAAAAAAAAAY”.

Maybe he wasn’t steamin - just drunk on enthusiasm.

m.d.

I wish Bodhran Bliss was here to teach you a lesson

Posted .

You know what, Llig? I actually went to the trouble of writing a really vitriolic reply to that little gem. Decided not to post it - taking the moral high ground. Enjoy your weekend - I’m sure you will, as you’ll be in the company of yourself.
m.d.

Doh, I’m dissapointed

Posted .

I would be, too, if I couldn’t spell “disappointed”.

m.d.

ha

Posted .

Llig:

Sorry I missed your above entry on Mr. Moore.

I believe I agree - and “subtle”ty is the quality I find in the drummers I like. I am not much for drum circles, 10 minute full kit attacks, nor any kind of klaxon chorus, but often that is what i feel i have been getting.

The sessions I enjoy have a little balance, at least usually. That includes if there is a drum in the mix.

Most drummers I have heard over the long term are not subtle, nor balanced.
(And no, no double meaning there about “balanced” 🙂)

Posted by .

I’m glad you agree Piece. I think I remember Christy Moore once talking about the sound of that gentle scrape of your knuckle over the texture of the goat skin. It is a good sound, and very subtle and I like it. But, completely irrelevant in a pub session, of course.

Posted .