Tech: No sound from computer

Tech: No sound from computer

I hope this isn’t an inappropriate subject, but, having consulted many on-line fora, message boards and advice sites, I’m truly at the end of my tether. I’m hoping that someone here on the mustard board is far more techno savvy than I am.

Technical information: I run a PC using Windows XP as the operating system.

I play most of my CDs through my computer, but earlier this week my keyboard packed up. That might not seem relevant, but, in the process of solving the problem (via the purchase of a USB keyboard because the appropriate port had packed up) I discovered that I had somehow severed the cable connecting my speakers to the PC.

However, installing replacement speakers (and I’ve tried three different sets and all work on my backup PC) has not brought back the sound to my computer. So I’ve checked all the appropriate settings via Device Manager and BIOS, I’ve reinstalled drivers and hardware and checked that the sound card is recognised and it is seemingly functioning. I’ve made sure that ‘volume control’ has none of the ‘mute’ boxes checked.

So is there something glaringly obvious that I’ve missed? Any suggestions will be more than gratefully received.

Posted by .

Re: Tech: No sound from computer

Is anything plugged into the "earpiece" input?
Just asking - I run my speakers and wireless transmitter through the headphone input since it is in the front of the machine and easier to reach. Even easier than typing easier.
Also there may be sound software on the computer that will let you run a diagnostic. This software is different than the standard volume software.

Nope, nothing’s in the headphones socket. My soundcard’s made by Realtek and there’s no diagnostic software, sadly.

Posted by .

Here are a couple of ideas from an intel site - what a strange problem! http://bit.ly/oZTo2U
You might try opening the case and look at all the connections - make sure your cards are seated properly and check any cables connecting to the motherboard

How did the cable get severed? Was the PC on at the time? I’m wondering if, as it got cut the conductors might have shorted together and blown the output transistors on the soundcard. I would have expected it to have short circuit protection, but since you seem to have checked all the obvious stuff, a blown soundcard is the next suspect on the list.

Also I hope you have good backups - keyboards normally don’t pack up (unless you spill a large amount of coffee on them, etc.) And it’s pretty strange that your sound card would start acting up too. It sounds like you might have a mischievous fairy on the premises

I’m even stupider on computers than anyone else who’s posted so far, but have you tried doing a system restore to a time before the problem started?

Yep, I’ve tried system restore, but no joy.

The keyboard didn’t pack up. It was the port into which it was plugged.

The cable was accidentally severed when I moved the PC tower. The speakers were not connected at the time.

I’ll open up the case tomorrow and inspect the connections. I’ve an older PC so I’ll cannibalise its sound card and see if that works.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Posted by .

Is the soundcard additional to the computer’s original soundcard? It might be simply that you’ve plugged your speaker cable into the wrong one. I’ve done that!

The other thing that’s helped me from time to time is just opening the PC and pushing all the cards and boards firmly into their sockets.

Posted by .

Try Start >Accessories>System Tools>System Information and have a look at Software Environment>Windows Error Reporting to see if there is anything mentioned.
Also look at System Information>Components>Sound Device to see if your card is working.

Posted by .

Your keyboard port went, weird. That’s a new one on me. But severing your speaker cables shouldn’t have damaged your soundcard, unless there was a quick pull that happened before those speaker cables parted company. In which case you might have also damaged a connection within the soundcard. However mostly, when sound goes, it is software based. You’ve had some decent responses so far - cables - software - the soundcard itself, and you’ve come up with some good options, such as trying another soundcard, which if it doesn’t work may be proof it is a software issue. You’d be amazed at how easily it is to lose sound from one small setting change in Windows. Play around with those settings, it can’t do any harm, but keep tab on what you’ve done.

You’ve the good sense to have a dedicated soundcard…

Best of luck. I know your frustration…

Do you still have the installation CD that would have come with your soundcard?

Is it full of fluff ? I always wonder if enough of the stuff can cause boards to miss-behave.

Probably not much help but once when I installed some recording software I had the same problem- no sound. The "Sound Playback Device" had been changed, in my case from Sound Max Audio Digital to iol2(Cubase software). You can check this by going to Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices>Audio>Default Device, and check that the selected playback device is in fact the correct one, although reading your initial post it seems like you’ve done all this.Best of luck.

This has happened to me - not from installing new speakers, but from visiting certain sites. For instance, YouTube can do what I’m about to describe.

I know you’ve checked that none of the boxes in your sound settings have the mute checked. However, some websites will move one of the sliders to zero. There’s no check in the mute box, but no sound either. Move the slider up and bingo.

Second suggestion. But I reckon you must have done this by now. Turn the computer off completely, including switching it off at the wall. Leave it for at least 2 minutes and then turn everything back on. My point in this is - has the computer really recognised the new speakers properly?

Posted by .

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I’ve not had a chance to resolve the problem today, but I’ll get back to it tomorrow.

Yep, I’ve already double-checked all the possible software settings, rolled back and updated my sound card’s drivers.

Ben, unless speakers are connected to the computer via a serial port or a USB socket (and there are few of such nowadays), a PC won’t handle them as new hardware.

Posted by .

Ah, right. I think the ones I’ve got are via USB. Mind you, I’m a great believer in ‘turn it off, then on again’. :-)

Posted by .

Good luck Mac. It sounds like you’ve covered most of the possibilities I was hinting toward, and others.

We’ve got sound, but having just stepped up to Windows 7 we’re finding it buggy as hell and causing us much agro, from the start, and lately not being able to access our files. But, we have sound, great sound, just can’t do anything. It seems to be a problem shared with many, Microsoft Explorer repeatedly being at fault and restarting itself. In the end it may require a complete reinstallation, but I really prefer Windows XP and Office 2003. Someone mentioned ‘fluff’ earlier with regards to the soundcard. In this case me thinks the software is full of it…

Did severing the cables wrench the socket.? Are these speakers just plugged into the sound card and driven by that or they the sort with an amplifier external to the PC (e.g in one of the speaker cases ) with a seperate power source ? If the latter is there another way of checking if anything is coming out of the socket (cheap heapdphones maybe) ? If the former could severing the cables have short circuited them ?

Had the same problem. Turned it off for an hour. Voila, the sound returned! Hope it’s that easy for you.