that instrument

Re: John Carty, banjo.

Wow - some of other videos linked from that page are great -
I didn’t know they were up on the net

Wow, that’s a young Mr. Carty!

Hey Hugo, thanks for posting this clip, it’s made my day! 😀

It reminds me why John Carty has been my favourite Banjo player for the past 31 years.

I saw him play like this three years earlier, at a high powered session during an Irish Music festival in London. It was a kind of an end of festival party for all the festival guests, so as the likes of De Danann & The Dubliners were there, he ended up playing his party piece in front of Barney McKenna & Charlie Piggott, which didn’t appear to bother him at all & I remember that even Frankie Gavin was whooping at his playing.

Even way back then, as a youngster, he was already way more inventive & technically far more accomplished than most players ever become, even after a lifetime of playing!

Cheers,
Dick

Thanks dick,
Yep, I have a recording of him with Paddy Folan from around this time.

Bony bonk all the way!

Pretty sure that was 1980 at the London Irish Festival, Dick, because if you remember, I was there with you. I think JC was only 16 at the time, and as you say, not fazed at all about playing up in front of McKenna et al. If you recall, we were hanging around with John Skelton, who told me that John Carty was also a very good flute player. Has anyone here heard him play flute ?

Posted by .

Great to see that. He was probably most well-known for his banjo playing back then, but has always been sickeningly good at every instrument he tried. The bastard 🙂

I heard John playing flute during his 1983 stay in Australia and,unsurprisingly, it is of the highest quality. Hearing him play flute it’s hard to believe that it’s only his "third" instrument.