Roaring, Hiyupping, Hooching etc

Roaring, Hiyupping, Hooching etc

Now for something "Not serious"! Gasp.

I was watching a young Irish band the other week. Very good, they were, but I noticed that they must have had several close followers as there was much more roaring and cheering than usual. You know, it’s such a brilliant feat to change key or start a new tune, they deserve a little cheer. :>))

Of course, this is a well established practice. In Scotland, we (or some, at least do ) *hooch* instead of roar or might shout out "Ga’un yersel’ man/lass/quine etc". Even the musicians do this sometimes when they change tunes/keys —"Hep or hup" is quite common.
I don’t tend to make too much noise myself but I do often feel a rush of excitement/adrenalin at a good key or tune change. Does anyone have an explanantion for this phenomenon? As musicians do these exclamations of delight encourage, irritate, or simply amuse you?

John

Re: Roaring, Hiyupping, Hooching etc

Hmmm. I’ve never thought about that one, John. What *do* I do? I guess if someone is playing a tune themselves, I’ll quietly call out something or other to be supportive or encouraging and/or let them know I like the tune well enough to hear it again, or if I really admire the job they’re making of it. I’ve generally noticed that at a change of tune, yelling out a "hup!" seems to mean "let’s speed up!"

I guess whether it encourages, irritates, or amuses me depends on whether people calling something out seem to know why they’re doing it or if they’re just calling out randomly because That’s What You’re Supposed To Do..

As an aside, Trinity Dance Company members often clap time and call out to the soloists during numbers, to encourage them and to encourage the audience to vocally enjoy the solos as well. I’d never really paid much attention to *what* it was they were calling out, assuming it was the usual sort of thing like "good girl yourself, Shannon!" and such "traditional-y" sounding type stuff for effect.

During a performance in Beaver Creek a couple of years back for an article I was writing, I was standing backstage during the Stepabout number, and was amused and delighted to realize that they were calling out things like "Whoo, you *rock*, Shannon!" and "You GO, girl!"

It shows how much some people really just feel this music from the ground up. Straight from the soul.

Posted by .

Most bands I know use "hep" to change tune.

Even in dense atmosphere of strong physical, emotional and spiritual presence and "flow" some members of the band tend to dream away and play tune fourth time while all others took the right exit to next … therefore "hep" is very "hepful" … could be a problem, when punters start heavy hepping…

Our ceili band leader shouts "change", what ist clear enough in that case.

Never heard about "hep" indicating acceleration - speed up in hornpipes is done by someone leading and the rest follows. good eye contact (or maybe "flow") leads to some synchronicity with very powerful results echoed back/amped by reactions of punters (maybe with hep hep hep hep hep hep hep hep ….)

bright clear "yip

A certain notorious London fiddler favours, as a non-verbal ‘hup’, a playful punch on the knee. Whilst flattering in retrospect, when I’m lost in the music, eyes screwed shut, drooling like a toothless old tabby, it puts me right off my tune.

The odd yeeoochh! goes down well, in my view, especially when it accompanies a key change when moving into a new tune. At least you feel someone is with you. Like anything it’s about balance. Too much can kill a session, esp. when you can’t hear the other players. I have to admit to getting annoyed sometimes with gratuitous applause though. Maybe the fiddle/banjo will finish off a tune and to fill the hiatus some human seal starts clapping. No chance of the flute/whistle taking off on another tune eh?

One of my most touching memories was when at the fleadh in Enniscorthy, I found myself in the company of maybe half a dozen local sept- and octogenarians. One would start up a local song, and the other lads and lassies would be muttering little phrases, Gwan yerself there, Johnny, and so on. They would hold yer man’s hands, both of which were messianically outstretched, rest hands on his shoulders, his back ansd arms. Very, very moving.

danny.

David, what a lovely mental picture you make. LOL

My thoughts exactly Zina! I was just picking myself back up after David’s "session whore" comment (from the quiet vs. loud discussion) when the "drooling tabby" put me right back down there!

Posted by .

Just remembered, guys, that LOL also stands for Loyal Orange Lodge! " It was big and it was beautiful…." The sash me faither wore"

TRUE!

Well, Paddy Moloney intraduced the "yip" to Irish music in the late 60’s. Thats the one I prefer. Or for those here in the states, we could start usuing the Howard Dean "Tarzan Yell"!

Johnathan

Sitting in the naughty corner who can talk whilst playing, I am a bit distaining towards people who shout "change", or even "change key", as it is bloody obvious to me within a nano-second that one, the other, or both have taken place.
It usually warrants a sarcastic remark of "Oh, thank you so much, I wouldn’t have known if you hadn’t told me!".
As C,E,G,B,D sound all the same, I will say 2 flats or 3 sharps or whatever, just to test who has done their homework, and also see who the bright sparks are who can also tell when we are in G or F# min.
The same person that shouts "change", has also taken to shouting "out", at which point the naughty corner falls about laughing with rumours about who has suddenly started admitting to being a "friend of Dorothy".
Good name for a tune - Fiends of Dorothy!

Has anyone heard Frankie Gavin live in paris recorded in the 70’s? cant remember the guitarist and box player with him off the top of my head but its a great recording, amazing fiddle playing and whenever they are totally going for it in a tune, theres a whole load of aaaaaaaarrrrhhs!!! and "hup ya boya"s going on, i think its Magic!

I liked the noises they made in Donegal, especially those complimentary ones when someone was playing; "deas" "lovely" etc. So nice!

Posted by .