Andy Irvine and Paul Brady in Vicar Street

Andy Irvine and Paul Brady in Vicar Street

Anyone see them in Vicar Street?

They were great in a few small parts, but came across as unrehearsed in others. Frequent mistakes were annoying and showed that they just threw the gig together for a pay day. Song introduction was poor to say the least, but the most awful thing was the version of I Roved Out, where Andy sang along with Paul’s synth playing - disgraceful. When they did get it right with a few of the classics they were great. But unfortunatly this was seldom. They were obviously used to playing the classics since the 70’s, but didn’t give the other songs the practice they needed before hitting the stage. One song they had to start 3 times before they got it right!!!

Posted .

Re: Andy Irvine and Paul Brady in Vicar Street

‘Greek tragedy, Napoleonic wars, Louisiana bayous and kitchen sink dramas.’
Yes folks its another Siobhan long winded review and thats only the first ten words 😉

I take no position.

I saw them together around 1977-78 and they were absolutely brilliant.

Irvine can be sketchy at time, loosing the words of songs he has been singing for nearly forty years and all that. Saw him a few times in recent years, including him playing in Mozaik. That was top notch. Early this year he was in town playing with Rens van der Zalm (they did two gigs in Ireland to warm up for a tour in OZ), that was a blast from the past and very very nice together they were too.

Posted .

"Their tentative rendering of much of its more circuitous arrangements was an object lesson in the hazards and dangers of conjuring the past, particularly when that past contained such musically and technically complex material."

This sentence should have been drowned at birth.

I was there on saturday night and it was a really fine gig, they were really relaxed and the humour between them and the banter was great crack, but I suppose if you like to feel a bit anally retentive nothing pleases you " instead of gold sure its brass I find" so DONT rove out ! stay at home and wash your hair ( or polish youe shiny pate )

"Irvine can be sketchy at time[s]-sic, loosing the words of songs he has been singing for nearly forty years and all that."

Agreed. I can’t help but like the fella though. I constantly find myself fighting his corner when I question myself about his voice or his sometimes cringey lyrics.

Irvine’s in good company there. There’s not a lot of people in trad music who can write a lyric worth keeping, that’s why it’s usually a team effort, over generations.

Did they play a different tune to the usual one after ‘Mary and the Soldier at the Vicar Street gig?

I admire Andy immensely. His touring schedule would break a man 40 years younger. I try to see him whenever he is in this hemisphere.

I imagine he’ll be quite annoyed if the concert didn’t go well as it is known he wanted to release the Glasgow show from 2008. The above comments apply to that concert. Andy was great, Paul less so. No surprise there; musically, they parted ways many years ago and it is Paul who would have to re-learn everything. Andy completely carried the show. You only have to look at the setlist from 2008……..

Main Auditorium, RCH, Glasgow
30th January 2008

1st Set (Performance of the album)

1. Heather on the Moor
2. The Longford Weaver
3. Wearin’ the Britches
4. Out on the Ocean / The Connaughtman’s Rambles
5. As I Roved Out
6. I’m a Youth That’s Inclined to Ramble
7. Baneasa’s Green Glade / Diachevo Horo
8. Paddy’s Sweet Shamrock Shore

2nd Set

1. Martinmas Time / The Little Stack of Wheat
2. Lough Erne Shore
3. Boy On The Hills / Johnny Goin’ To Ceilidh
4. Streets of Derry
5. The Jolly Soldier / The Blarney Pilgrim
6. Autumn Gold
7. Arthur McBride and the Sergeant
8. Bonny Woodhall
9. Mary and the Soldier
10. The Plains of Kildare
11. The West Coast of Clare
12. The Lakes of Ponchartrain
13. The Blacksmith / Black Smithereens

One other point I’d make as a concert-goer. The Royal Concert Hall and Vicar Street must compete as quite the worst live venues. The sound in both is utterly appalling. If you want to play acoustic music in the RCH, do the Strathclyde Suite. Vicar Street is just a Zoo. Andy is well known for being very sensitive to the concert "vibe" and if there was the usual cacophony from the Vicar Street inmates I’m sure it would be very off-putting!

I must agree with BigDee’s opening line: "I admire Andy immensely." I played support to him on a few occasions in the early 1980s and it nearly put an end to my musical career…. I’ll NEVER be that good, not even close to it even thirty years later. When I try to play Andy’s songs I either play a very basic version of the accompaniment, which sounds terrible, or go for a more complex attempt, in which case I get tied up in what I’m playing and forget to sing at the same time. I’ve heard him change the words of songs from the recorded version, but the only live version of any of his songs that is dire compared to the album version is "My Heart’s tonight in Ireland" where he puts the long pause after "so long ago" which ruins the tempo of the last part of the chorus… it just sounds wrong! (But it’s still fantastic!)
It’s on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFBPtJLcDDc

the gig was fantastic!

I was at the Friday night and I think Siobhan’s article was too nice. The 1st half was very dissapointing indeed and someone must have gave them a right bollicking at half time as they uped the gear in the 2nd half. I saw them in the Cherry Tree, Walkinstown in 2008 at a rehersal gig for Glasgow and they were fantastic.

2nd half of the Friday night gig was hugely better and very enjoyable. Seems from what yiz are saying, the Saturday night gig was better. I’d say there was less mistakes because they ironed all that out from the night before.
I’m sorry, but having to start a song 3 times to get it right is very poor. I know Paul Brady laughed it off and tried to make a joke of it, but it was no laughing matter.
I was a big fan of the album, but think i’ll put it into storage for awhile.

Posted .

"I know Paul Brady laughed it off and tried to make a joke of it, but it was no laughing matter."
It should be… gigs are for fun; studio recordings are for posterity. I get bored listening to a live concert that’s an exact match of the album. Here’s one where Planxty can hardly play for laughing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0Bq4-fCH0c

One of my other fav bands Tri Yann made a few cockups on their live recording; they just shrug it off with "donnez-moi un deuxieme chance"… or troisieme…