Down in the Valley Short Documentary Film

Down in the Valley Short Documentary Film

Just wanted to draw your attention to a new short documentary film entitled ‘Down in the Valley’ featuring musicians from the Laggan and Finn Valley in Co. Donegal, Ireland.

The film explores the musical landscape and history of East Donegal through performances and stories from three local musicians: Seamus Gibson, Martin Mc Ginley and Billy Mc Lean.

Directed by Aoife Foley and produced by Ronan Mc Connell, the film has been funded by the International Fund for Ireland in association with the regional Cultural Centre. Letterkenny and the Nerve Centre, Derry.

Hope you enjoy!

http://vimeo.com/32349096

Re: Down in the Valley Short Documentary Film

Enjoyed it very much, thanks.

Lovely stuff.

What is the reel at 4:38 called?
A grand tune, I thought.

Posted by .

Never mind.
The fiddler names them later on in the film.
My bad.
(blush)

Posted by .

The singing at the beginning reminds me for whatever reason of recordings of Laurie Anderson, or indeed The Residents.

Were their odder works actually strange outgrowths of ancestral traditions going all the way back to roots in the mists of Donegal?

I promise to continue watching / listening to the rest of the film, and appraising it with the earnestness due.

I duly watched, and was impressed. A succession of craggy fiddle styles and craggy hair styles. Each time there was a temporary fade-out I wondered if the next sight would be a beguiling green-eyed mermaid or something but it never was. As a matter no doubt of entirely frivolous coincidence, all the footage of Donegal’s music scene that I’ve seen in recent times has the appearance of having been shot somewhere where the sun don’t shine - at the bottom of a deep, dark lake, anyway. The result is that the landscapes are imbued with a desolate twilight sadness or else pitch-black. It can’t really be like that. Not all the time, at any rate. I believe only Manchester is *always* like that…

at 11 05 he says most of the musicians could read and write staff music and were composing tunes.
The people who say you must not read music please take note.

You’re miles off Mr. Brown. You may want to read the comments more closely.

Forgive me. My last comment was curt & unkind. Stephen, being able to read & write music is useful indeed. I’m sure you agree. You’re absolutely correct. Anyone who insists that sheet music has no use whatsoever is obviously wrong.

AlBrown will bust me for posting 3xs in a row. 😉 Now I need to watch the video. Before I do I must say I’m surprised to read that Donegal is full of music readers. I was led to believe they passed their tunes around mostly by ear.

Séamus Gibson, St.Johnston, East Donegal
"The child can hear in the womb perfectly." 29:44
Thanks beanstalk. May Al show me mercy for not knowing when to shut up.

Yep, time to take a break, Babs! Before you get lost down the mustard-colored rabbit hole…

Good advice AB. I’m off to play!

"May Al show me mercy"?

Hmmn —-
"Al the merciful"?

Repent, infidels!!
🙂

Posted by .

Very very enjoyable … thanks for putting up the link Beanstalk … ta!

I too noted the comment to the effect that that most of the musicians in a particular area - presumably, East Donegal - could read staff music. I wonder whether this reflects Scottish influence by whatever route: use of staff music seems longstanding and widespread in Scottish music, generally speaking.

that was a very enjoyable film.
For us It showed the true heart o fthe music and song.
And the scenes of life in rural ireland at that time ,the music sprung from the land , the work. the people..
It shows the music and the people as one .
It would be interesting to see films from say sligo or wexford or dublin or clare fom the same time …..Id say the players would all be playing from the same place..the heart