The other side of the pond…

The other side of the pond…

Dear fellow musicians,
Me and wife are leaving Galway for a while, and are planning to move to the San Francisco bay area.
knowing that we might not have the same choose-out-of-20-daily-sessions situation there, we wanted to know if anyone has any tips or suggestions, and if anyway is up for sharing music in that area.
Thanks!

Re: The other side of the pond…

"The Phantom Button" would be yer man. Best of luck.

Posted by .

There’s a lot of territory covered by "the bay area". Arguably, anywhere from San Jose to Berkeley could qualify, and I know there are musicians and sessions all through there. If you can narrow down your location a little bit, it might help.

Phantom Button

https://thesession.org/members/9968

He is what he is, a character, and that’s a compliment in my books, and a good resource for that part of the world, at least until he great earthquake that shelves it off into the Pacific…

Awwww…. he loves us here on the forum.

It took him over 8000 posts to make up his mind.
😛

There’s more in the area than one session, one pub, one **performance**. Geez! Meh!!**??
Not to say there’s anything wrong with sessions at The Plough & Stars. They are good! Worth stopping in.

John J, Jack began posting with his head on his shoulders. It’s later it began to loosen. I’m not saying anything bad about the character Gilder. Nor the session.

BenZilker, this site’s pretty frakked up. Jeremy, the webmaster expects members to look for sessions by not asking about these in the *Discussions* pages. This leads one to the tab for Sessions. Admittedly the *Sessions* category does have the ocassional defunct sessions listed & you have to search one city at a time. (how many can there be around the SF area?) But those are the mandates.
Hopefully you’ll be civilized enough to ignore protocol & use any means necessary to find your way in the Bay Area. My advice ~ what Jon Kiparsky was asking. Where are you hoping to land?

Cheers,
Babs

"& you have to search one city at a time. "

Or country - or state - or county - or leave it blank to display all sessions.

"To see all the sessions, leave these fields blank.
To narrow your search, you can select any combination of country, area, town and day for the session."

https://thesession.org/sessions/

I just wondered if you might make sure that all the "Choose-out-of-20-daily-sessions" are properly listed and annotated here before you go ?

Sorry for not realizing how much does the SF bay area actually covers. we are going to live with a friend in Oakland. and i have another place to stay in San Jose, so i guess anywhere in the SF-Oakland-San jose triangle.
I figured i can probably look for sessions on the site, that’s why i was aiming more for info then pub names, like if there is any groups getting together for house sessions, any big events coming up, or any session that appears to be active on the site but has actually stopped a decade ago, or if anyone fancies just playing music together. any buskers maybe?
Guernsey - There are two daily sessions at atleast 3-4pubs in the center of town, (the Crane, Tigh colis, Taffes etc.) on quiet days. on weekends usually you’ll find a daily session in many other pubs + the odd spontaneous sessions in Neachtain’s that are common enough. i maybe exaggerating by saying there are 20, probably more like a dozen. Galway, however, is a very small town.

interesting, there are listings for two sessions (not in Bay Area) which are no longer active.

i know a bunch of people in the bay area who are about your age (you’re a year younger than myself). they are great musicians and a load of fun.

add me on facebook and i’ll introduce you to them, if you’d like. i’d introduce you in person but i live a couple thousand miles away. pm me if you don’t have facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/boveri

Posted by .

sf’s itm nerve center remains the plough & the stars pub, which features a couple of seshes weekly, hosted by several sets of recurring anchors, many long-timers. irish maestros passing through on tour often do their local performance at the plough, so there’s that as well. also a place to collect intel on further activities around the bay area and in northern cal……….sample plough calendar linked here:

http://www.theploughandstars.com/

i don’t know what it’s like on the u.s. east coast, but this is a challenging time for ITM on the west coast. northern california in particular was lousy with the stuff for a good couple of decades, but what with one thing and another, it is not as pervasive as formerly…..however, i think it’s safe to say you will still find enough in the bay area to have some very good music indeed….

Thanks for the useful info guys!

"i don’t know what it’s like on the u.s. east coast"

Probably no surprise that, last I checked, I could play tunes any night of the week and twice on Sunday in Boston. Doesn’t mean I get out more than once a week, though.