Johnny Moynihan?

Johnny Moynihan?

Hi!

Does anybody know what Johnny is up to these days?
It is such a shame that such a wonderful musician has not recorded more albums. He is such a fantastic voice.

Re: Johnny Moynihan?

And trying to live down ALWAYS being quoted as the person who introduced the bouzouki to irish music !
There are worse things to be famous for.

Pete there was a time when banjo was new to irish music too ye know…..

I’ve just ordered that moonshine album! can’t wait to hear it! does anyone know if Johnny sings many songs on it?

Johnny Moynihan & Moonshine

Thanks for the distraction, a surprise and a pleasant earful…

palethinboy…
Johnny sings lead on four tracks (including a version of ‘Johnston’ which will be familiar to fans of Sweeney’s Men) and backing vocals on a few others.

great stuff! though i had hoped he’d sing lead on more tracks. oh well 4 is better than a kick in the arse on a wet Monday…

As far as I know Johnny is still living in Kinvara and is often seen out at sessions, trad or old timey, playing the fiddle.
A mighty man!

That is a fake! his lips don’t match the voice?!

i went to a "folk club" type thing in the basement of the stag’s head in dublin last year where johnny was the first guest/MC, He came with what was basically a small shopping cart with a fiddle, mandolin, mandola and an acoustic guitar and sang a load of songs, some with another singer whose name (I think) was Ian Calder, and his daughter who is in a little folk group called the "Alpaca Jamboree". I’d met him in Dungarvan (http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/7422_131965751332_725711332_3005478_4665324_n.jpg) about a year previously at a singing session organised by an enthusiast from Dungarvan - that fellow said that when he got Johnny’s number to ask him to sing at the club (as a voluntary guest) Johnny was only thrilled to do it, whereas he’s asked Andy Irvine (who would do it for 1000 euros minimum) and others like Len Grahame (who charged, but not a lot) and others, I think Al O’Donnell came voluntarily as well at some point.

Johnny Moynihan would be a hero of mine, he is really true blue.

I know this an old thread but Johnny will be guest at The Cove Bar Attic SEssions, Waterford City on Feb 24th for a very very rare gig. Pm for details!!!!