Anyone recognise this reel?

Anyone recognise this reel?

I picked up this reel off YouTube played by Natasha Richard. I don’t know who she is but I would guess she’s Canadian and that this is a Quebecois tune. Does anyone know it’s name?
A part is in Bb and B part in F. I think!!

dc|:BdFB d2cB|AcFA c2dc|BdFB d2ef|agfe gfdc|BdFB d2cB|
AcFA c2BA|FGAB cdfg|1.afdc B2dc:|2.afdc B2cB|
|:Afcf Afcf|Afcf agfe|dfBf dfBf|dfBf bagf|egcg egcg|egcg bage|
fefa gfeg|1.fefg f2cB:|2.fefg f ^ddc:|

The second ‘d’ in the last bar of B part is natural but I can’t recall how ABC undoes the preceding d sharp. If anyone can enlighten moi regarding title and how to unsharpen the ^d I’ll submit the tune to the database. Can’t do hyperlinks but searching on Natasha Richard on YouTube should bring up the music. Stonking reel-it’s got to be French Canadian. Ta!

Re: Anyone recognise this reel?

I think you may be talking about what I call the “Irish American Reel“. It is in the tunes section here: https://thesession.org/tunes/3675
If I found the right clip I play it the same way as she does, a little differently than this transcription.

I don’t think it’s that, Kenny. I know I recognise it. Heck, I think I’ve played it. But I’m darned if I can find it.

You’re right EB, the 1st parts not “The High Level”, but the 2nd part is as near as dammit. I wonder if she’s got 2 tunes mixed up. It would help if a link had been provided to the performance, but I can’t be *rsed trawling through “Youtube” for it.

Posted by .

…. and it’s not “The Irish American”.

Posted by .

Yep,looks like The High Level “Hornpipe” Reel and I didn’t recognise it even though I’m a Geordie! Oh,the shame! Thanks, Kenny

Yes I think its a lot to do with this tune ‘ The High Level Hornpipe ’
Amazing he can get this on Flute, and at his age..
I can’t on fiddle and I’ll soon be his age, so I’ve abandoned
all hope - lol..
jim,,,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu4DciCeff4

Oh the pain of not knowing the High Level. Way back in the fifties/sixties, the minute you strapped on the box in public some smart arse always said “Give us the High Level, ya boy ya” and of course you played it as a hornpipe, all ‘three parts’ of it (unlike the version in the video). The tune fell into the same mould as The Mason’s Apron and Peter Street. If you couldn’t play them you were classed as ‘useless’

I really think you should use an Eb there instead of a D#, it reads much easier because it is a lead back into the key of Bb in which E is flat.

also that makes the beat a four note scale rather than having two pitch values for the same note letter or placement.

I know I recognise it. Heck I even think I’ve played it.

… waiddaminit …

Does anyone know if it’s going to be a hard winter?