Other Music (There’s a lot)

Other Music (There’s a lot)

Most of us here are here because of a love of Irish Traditional music. A bit off topic, However, I’d be interested to know what other types of music you enjoy listening to.

I myself am a big fan of many types of music - Reggae, Country, Blues, Soul, Rock.

Also, what album are you currently listening to (non Irish) - I’m really enjoying Parallax by Atlas Sound at the moment

http://4ad.com/parallax/

How about you?

Re: Other Music (There’s a lot)

Well there’s also Scottish music, and Cape Breton…er, is there other stuff???

I don’t know much about Canadian music. What is a good example of the Cape Breton or Quebecois styles so I can broaden my horizon…

I have just one hero and his name is Ludwig van Beethoven. Sorry, Llig…😀

For Cape Breton explore Paul Cranford’s site http://www.cranfordpub.com/ for lots of information and examples. I love the playing of Natalie Macmaster and Andrea Beaton. Then there is Jerry Holland and Brenda Stubbert though I haven’t got many of their recordings. I have Winston Fitzgerald’s book of tunes and have got a lot from that (bought it after listening to sound clips on the Cranford site: http://www.cranfordpub.com/tunes/Scottish/Iron_Man.htm ). I don’t know hardly anything about Quebecois style but would like to hear more of it

Apart from other Traditional music’s, it would be Classical.
I have kinda grew out of the other’s, Rock, Blues, Jazz, and
music of Islam : )
jim,,,

Is this like one of those forms where you have ticky boxes for “other interests”. You know the ones, like when there’s a box to tick that says “theatre”, but it doesn’t mean Pinter or Brecht, it means “Cats” or “Les Mis”

Posted .

I’ll bite.

This year I’ve enjoyed the new Decemberists album, The King Is Dead, and the new Gillian Welch. I saw her and Dave Rawlings last month, and it was some of the best music I’ve seen in a long time. Just brilliant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FM8ui2ByUI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSMLoxdos2w

I’ve also been listening to Childsplay, and saw them perform a few weeks ago, but that’s so close to trad I don’t think it counts as “other music.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYg1Q-SC-eo

New Tom Waits is good too. That’s all I can come up with at the moment.

Well I myself a into various other types of folk and trad music such as Scottish, English, American (bluegrass, old time, and the more generic ‘folk’ category), and maybe the odd bit of Galician/Asturian and Breton music here and there. I am also into jazz especially John Coltrane and stuff from that era (late ’50s and early to mid ’60s).

Some favorite artists of mine that don’t play ITM (in no particular order); John Hartford, Crooked Still, Jez Lowe, Martin Simpson, Sonny Rollins, Woody Guthrie, Gillian Welch and Dave Rawlings/Dave Rawlings Machine, Thelonious Monk, Alsadair Fraser and Natalie Haas, Old Blind Dogs, Fred Morrison, I Draw Slow (a Dublin based band that plays original music in an old-time style), Bruce Molsky, Horace Silver, Dick Gaughan, Doc Watson, Incredible String Band (the first two albums), Shooglenifty, and the list could go on and on and on.

Posted by .

Classification in music is a misleading simplification.

I am a fan of music of any type, as long as it is very good. Of course, certain “styles” produced nothing of quality.

My albums of 2011 include Diamond Mine by King Creosote & Jon Hopkins, Gentle Spirit by Jonathan Wilson, the previously mentioned Gillian Welch, Let England Shake by PJ Harvey, Tassili by Tinariwen, Smoke Ring For My Halo by Kurt Vile, Burst Apart by The Antlers and……well, that’s enough for starters

Babe The Sheep Pig

Anyone who’s heard that particular sound track will never think badly of The Glasgow Reel played by students again…!

for me, (since I love to play the bass in symphony orchestras) it’s late Romantic large orchestral works.

Childsplay was new to me - in Scotland that would be a strathspey and reel orchestra, I guess this is an equivalent for American old-time? Are there a lot of groups like that over there?

(Last 4 things on my CD player: Messiaen’s “Livre du Saint Sacrament” for organ, Kathryn Tickell’s “Debatable Lands”, Joe Temperley doing jazz on baritone sax and Belf’s Rumanian Orchestra from 78s).

Hi Jack,

I don’t know how many bands like Childsplay there are. Although they do play a few old-timey-type tunes, I don’t think anyone would classify them as old time, per se.

The band’s name is a play on words; all of the fiddlers play instruments made by Bob Childs, a luthier from Cambridge Massachusetts. He’s also the driving force behind the band. Their website is fun to poke around on, if you like the tunes. You can read bios of each musician. And at least one of them, Hanneke Cassel, is really into the Scottish stuff.

A good friend turned me on to them years ago, and I’ve been a fan ever since.

http://www.childsplay.org/

“ Smoke Ring For My Halo by Kurt Vile“
Strayaway, I though you were mis-spelling Weill, but indeed there is a Kurt Vile. Who knew? Next I’ll be hearing of a new(ish) Engelbert Humperdinck.

Ought to fit right in with Sid Vicious, Johnny Rotten….

There WAS a new Englebert Humperdink in the early seventies, but the composer’s family persuaded him to rename himself Englebert in case he thought he wrote Hansel und Gretel (but you already knew that!)

Gypsy Jazz !! …ala Django…
There’s some great modern players around too…Bireli Lagrene,Tchavolo Scmitt,his Cousin Dorado,Angelo debarre….

For Cape Breton fiddling in its natural habitat, there is a Smithsonian Institute field recording called “Along the Ceilidh Trail,” which was recorded in the dance halls a few years ago. For a younger approach to the same tradition, try Natalie McMaster or Ashley MacIssac. For a fun Newfoundland singing group, try Great Big Sea. For Quebecois, try the group Le Vent Du Nord, you don’t have to understand the words to enjoy the singing, and the instrumentals are great. And, for something completely different, try the old favorite group La Bottine Souriante, which is a trad group that has a jazz horn section grafted to it. They are to French Canadian trad what Blood Sweat and Tears was to American rock and roll, and have to be heard to be believed.
Lots of good music comes from up north. One of the reasons many New England fiddlers, even those who play Irish tunes, sound different, is the Canadian influence on fiddling styles up here, the Scots tradition from Cape Breton and the French from Quebec.

A much more interesting topic would be why you are interested in this. Do you draw any conclusions about the folks on this board based on the ‘other’ music they listen to? Do you draw conclusions about how they play jigs and reels based on what other music they listen to? I’ve been listening to a lot of really raw ugly punk/skinhead stuff, cowpunk from LA in the early 80’s, X and coal miner folk stuff.

Classical of course - depending; I have a feeling I’ll be getting into
“gypsy jazz” in future

oldstrings, Kurt Vile is his real name. He previously played with The War On Drugs who also have a rather excellent 2011 release called Slave Ambient. I think he may also have played in Sufjan Stevens band. I think he would be mildly surprised to see his name mentioned on a forum such as this…he might even roll an extra large one to mark the event!

Strayaway - Diamond Mine by King Creosote & Jon Hopkins was a really good album, i too enjoyed. Gillian Welch, Let England Shake by PJ Harvey were also on my years best list.

I placidly extend my acquaintance with Classical music by dozing every so often to Radio 3. Now and then I buy a Classical CD or listen to a clip on the computer - I heard Mozart’s Requiem for the first time via the computer, very recently. Am listening to Sibelius symphonies at present, having done so little in the past but having long known some of his other pieces, particularly En Saga and The Karelia Suite, as personal favourites.

In the folkie vein, my discoveries this year include the Scottish psychedelic-type band Trembling Bells and the latest (I think) album by The Unthanks, called “Last”, which I think is a whole lot better than previous ones of theirs I’ve heard.

At this very moment Im listening to Alan Stivel live@ Olynpia first recorded in 1970 ( I think) great version of Foggy Dew and Pop Plinn.

I also enjoy loads of Beatles and Dire Staits

Though I play ITM and Scottish Highland pipes I don’t often listen to either genre.

I listed to a lot of Quebecois esp Vent du Nord.

Also:

New Orleans clarinetists such as Pete Fountain, Albert Nicholas, Sidney Bechet, etc.

The Blues.

Bach, Telemann, Geminiani, etc.

Traditional West Virginia music.

Traditional and newer Bulgarian music, from Kostadin Varimezov and Theodisii Spassov to Ivo Papasov.

The occasional sea shanty.

There aren’t lots of different musics.

“There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind.”-Duke Ellington.

It’s all folk music even ITM or Indian Tea Music.

(That’ll annoy a few people here 😛 )

“Ain’t never heard a bodhran sing….”

I also listen to Scottish and Cape Breton music. Does that count? Ask the poor Mountaineering Club members who have to sit in my car for hours on long drives up north. I don’t imagine they would think it does. 🙂

You have good taste, palethinboy. Diamond mine is an album that gets better and better with repeated play. You could also try out other criminally ignored albums released this year such as Get Well Soon by Sarabeth Tucek, Reverie by Joe Henry, Our Blood by Richard Buckner and The Rip Tide by Beirut.

Anything by Daniel O’Donnell.

daniel o’donnell ? music ?

Let’s add De Temps Antan to the Québec Music List. André Brunet’s band. Dynamite.

I go through occasional phases where by I listen to stuff other than solo pipers and fiddlers. At various times these included a lot of Rai and North African trad stuff. Nu metal, like papa roach, slipknot.Bach and other Baroque music and as I have a Turkish santor player and a French flamenco guitarist visiting at the moment lots of turkish /Arabic stuff!! 🙂

I’m with zoukboy.
I have been playing a lot of manouche jazz since I treated myself to 1939 Angelo Debarre Selmer Macaferri copy guitar earlier this year.
So many good contemporary players but Django still rules.

Recently I have been hugely enthused by The Hot Club of Cowtown and a couple of weeks ago I saw Aaron J. Lewis at a gig in Bridport in Dorset. If you want to see Appalachian style old time fiddle at its best he’s your man.

Apart from this Schubert, Puccini and Mahler but they don’t come to Dorset that often.

I’m not into this kind of thing as much as I used to be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGmWxgsj9YE

But I still kinda like it. And say what you like, I’m sure it’s a nice payday for a hard-working fiddler (see also Peat Bog Faeries).

radiohead for one

As a gigging fingerstyle jazz guitarist since the mid 1970s, I keep returning to astounding! guitarists Lenny Breau, Ted Greene, and Django as well as 50’s cool (Jimmy Giuffre 3, Gerry Mulligan). I have catholic tastes ranging from Bach to rock, and all between.
Go to TedGreene.com, click the audio link at top right, and scroll down to give a listen to Londonderry Air (Danny Boy) - transcendental solo guitar that sounds like the angels.

Posted by .

The Hot Club Of…

I like that one.

That makes me & associates members of The Hot Club Of The Neville’s Cross Debbiefest.

This event is as curious as it sounds.

I mix it up. Patrick Kelly of Cree followed by Cannibal Corpse. Can’t just diddley dee all the live long day, you know.

Tommy Peoples

Also, add Genticorum to the Quebec list. They’re awesome.

Besides Irish: Northumberland, Shetland, Icelandic, Scandinavian, Scottish, bluegrass, old time country, folk.

pennhorse, Anything with a Brunet brother in it is awesome, and I have played that new De Temps Antan CD more times than I can count. Mighty good stuff!!!
And yes, Smash, Genticorum is another good one.
Tres bien!

Hmmmm, let me see. Solo Piano, modern to classical, Chopin, Debussy, Beethoven, Bach, Christian, Gospel, Choire, Chamber, 4 part Harmony, Minimalistic, Cello/Piano, Guitar/Fiddle, Solo Violin, Ragtime, 1950’-2000’s pops, Metal(Evanescence), Ska, Punk, Reggea, Reggeaton, Anything with Steel Drums, Asian Pop, Euro-Pop, Electronicas(Techno, Electro, Trance, Happy Hardcore, Dubstep, Hardstyle, Atmospheric) Vibrasphere, New Age, Video game music, Thematic Scores, Opera(in english) Sooo much music, that’s all that comes to mind right now. Right now i’m listening to Dubstep, Irish Music, Gospel and New Age, cause i have a tiny CD collection. Looking to grab some good Donegal fiddle music.

Any Motown/Northern Soul Fans?

I like BOTH kinds of music - Clare AND Sligo. : )

nice Bluse Brothers referance there Seosamh

as a free-reed player: paris musette;: django swing; tango (guardia vieja dance-hall style of the late 1880s to the 20/30s); eastern european (rom gypsy, klezmer, rumanian, hungarian, bulgarian, balkan, etc); old-style pre-bebop jazz, and more. harmonium ragas from india. where does it end???

as a banjo player: oldtime southern appalachian clawhammer, esp. west virginia/north carolina, but also kentucky, south carolina, etc…..old-style 2-finger and 3-finger as well, from the same regions….

as an intermediate fingerstyle guitar learner: oldtime acoustic appalachian/piedmont rag-based blues, ragtime, old-style country guitar picking a la chet atkins, doc watson, merle travis….old-style swing jazz a la charley christian, mary osbourne….

as a listener as opposed to a player: omg, what doesn’t one listen to???? punk rock. thelonious “sphere” monk. charles mingus (Pithecanthropus Erectus!) duke ellington’s “small group” recordings. sidney bechet. astor piazzolla’s “nuevo tango”…..eric satie……Puccini!….Bela Bartok! Zoltan Kodaly! “Sketchesof Spain”!….“Are You Experienced?”…….Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds!….Iggy & the Stooges!……

ALoveSupremeALoveSupremeALoveSupremeALoveSupreme

Hey palethingboy, The Temptations, all the way 🙂

Reggae