Things I like about this music No3527

Things I like about this music No3527

There are many, but here’s a little one that just keeps giving;

I love going back to a tune after not playing it for months or years and finding that the tricky or frustrating bit that led to me putting it aside is now no longer a problem. What was I fretting about ?

What other simple pleasures do you find in our music ?

Re: Things I like about this music No3527

I can play it.

Sometimes, I can play it too!

I can’t play it, but I like a challenge.

"I love going back to a tune after not playing it for months or years and finding that the tricky or frustrating bit that led to me putting it aside is now no longer a problem. What was I fretting about ?…"

stoneboy2, I know exactly what you’re on about.

But it tends to happen to me when I’ve had a few drinks, and am hiding (playing-wise, at least) behind strong players.

I have learnt that to attempt to lead with such a tune can prove a ghastly mistake as the fairies snatch away their delusive gift and leave me musically trouserless and socially dead. For a long moment or two, anyway.

Guinness - lol.
jim,,,

What/whom I especially like: all the people who introduced me to great tunes over the years. You know who you are.

The single greatest thing about this music from a musician’s point of view is that it is totally self-contained. You need no accompaniment to get a very complete sound. There may be some other musical forms that can claim that, but none that sound so contemporary and can get the uninititated tapping their foot and nodding in approval or commenting on the heart-wrenching beauty of a song or air. I can play it alone any time of the day or night and feel as contented (if not more so) than I would to play with friends or with a band. Usually, such musical pleasure is limited to instruments like guitar or piano, which is why so many who learn an instrument during school stop playing as an adult. ITM has me playing more at the age of near 60 than I have ever played in my life. For that, I bow low. It is lovely, exciting, and I am the only person that needs to be in the room. However, the more the merrier!

Posted by .

the ratio of technical necessity compared to art is stacked so demonstratively in favour of the art.

Posted .

It always takes me on a time ride (time travel IS possible!) - either into my own personal past or generally into some "past" - but mostly this is done by clawhammer banjo tunes. Besides that, it´s - sometimes - like stoneboy2 said: you play a tune that didn´t work some time ago, and suddenly the parts fall into place (I find this happens when I have been listening to/playing lots of other tunes in between. And - like ailin writes - the aspect of self-containment is important, too. You can just sit down and play.

Posted .

Where does one start? But here’s just a few:

1) Playing music without the encumbrance of music stands, sheet music etc.

2) Being able to find some common ground and make music with total strangers that one has only just met at festivals, sessions etc.

3) Being able to play most of the music in the keys containing just one, two or three sharps.

4) Being able to play the music in convivial surroundings: e.g. out-of-doors on a warm summer’s day - or in the pub! 🙂

Here’s another;

Most of the time when I’m playing I make mistakes or my tone and touch just aren’t quite right. This I accept, after all I am mere mortal, whose meagre talents cannot be compared with those traditional music gods we all know so well. However, occasionally it all just seems to click into place and suddenly everything works, and I’m in a "zone" where I can do no wrong. It’s almost as if I’ve finally got it.

This doesn’y usually last long. but the memory of being able to play that way is what encourages me to pick up the fiddle for a long time after.

stoneboy2: Indeed, such magical moments are ones that I’ll probably remember as long as I live. "…like that day that I was playing such-and-such a set with such-and-such a person and the music just took life, and transcended my mediocrity…"

"the ratio of technical necessity compared to art is stacked so demonstratively in favour of the art."

I don’t claim to be an ‘artist’, but that was more or less what I meant by my first comment.