Joe Cooley on from Tapes…

Re: Joe Cooley on from Tapes…

Ah, Jeremy Kammerer has been telling me about wanting to do this for years. Great that it’s finally a reality. Audio’s a bit of an improvement on my nth generation copy.

I’d get it while you can, too. About 8 years ago a friend of theirs released ‘Irish Accordion’ by Kevin Keegan, with various other musicians playing on the tracks, including Jeremy and Cathie, just a very discrete cottage label issue, but it caused some massive to-do as no one asked Kevin’s brother for permission. Eventually it was pulled - all 100 CDs! - and an Official Release produced in Charlie Lennon’s million dollar home studio, with audio quality being bumped up a notch from mud to Shiny Mud. Golly.

Cooley is leagues more well known so expect rounds of frothing post haste. Then again John L has had his recordings of Cooley on his website, forget the url, for ages now and no one’s called for his lynching so go figure.

Oh, and by the way this is the greatest recording of the Box you’ll ever hear.

Most excellent - A quick acknowledgement here of Eric Thompson and his prolific intersection of varied traditional music over five decades! Thanks for posting.

Grand stuff, Jim. Thank you!
—Joe

Jim , Many Thanks for this ! You are a star !

That’s brilliant, what a treasure trove, many thanks!

Posted by .

Thanks Jim — that will keep me busy until next year.

Posted by .

Next ten years maybe!!! Great stuff, I was under the impression that he was little recorded, cos of the times he lived in etc. Great that people had the appreciation and foresight, even if just for their own learning purposes, to do so.

The release of these tapes to the public has been under discussion and debate for decades… I’m delighted this invaluable resource has finally seen the light of day. Thanks to all that came to the difficult decision to allow everyone access to this treasure.

Thanks! This is fantastic. I appreciate everyone’s efforts to make this available. Maybe it will inspire others with old recordings to do the same.

Posted by .

this is wonderful, wonderful news…..when i first came into this music i was a student of cooley’s student, the gorgeous fiddler Cait Reed, who had suffered a loss of many tapes of Cooley’s playing. i have been wishing for access to more of his music for a long time. what a wonderful holiday/new year’s present, and perhaps this will prove an occasion at last to arrange to have copies of mr. kammerer’s tapes with his settings of so many keegan tunes….