Free PDF Book Download

Free PDF Book Download

On my forum (The Gathering - http://www.nigelgatherer.com/forum/) I have a tune of the week feature involving a nominated tune which people play and discuss. It’s building into an interesting collection of tunes (we’re at No.32 just now), and I have compiled the first 21 tunes into a PDF-format book, available free of charge. It has to be said that most of the tunes are Scottish, but there are a couple of Irish, a couple of English, one Swedish and an old-time tune in there as well.

Nigel Gatherer’s Tune of the Week Book 1 (Standard Notation and Chords): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1189785/Tunes/TOW/TOW_Book_1.pdf

Nigel Gatherer’s Tune of the Week Book 1 (Standard Notation and Mandolin Tablature): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1189785/Tunes/TOW/TOW_Book_1t.pdf

Re: Free PDF Book Download

Good stuff Nigel. I’m just wondering if you class the "Jenny Lind Polka" as the Swedish tune? It’s attributed to Anton Wallerstein, who was German and lived in Germany.
Just thought I’d point that out!

Oh….Wallerstein died in Switzerland.

Are these then getting exercise among a given lot of musicians, in your immediate area for example? - a local session? It there any reasoning behind he choice, other than you like them? Is there a history, more than the short snippets in the online book?

Always curious ~ ‘c’

I believe there’s the movie too!?

The Swedish Nightengale

Thanks for the memory jog Nigel, about to give birth, but not as we know it, at least not as it currently resides here, meaning this particular tune, which I’ve known in at least half a dozen different ways…

Aye, Ceol, but nobody touched down on Herr Wallerstein!

Added to the page.

Took you long enough.
;)

Posted by .

• No, I wasn’t thinking of "Jenny Lind". The Swedish tune I had in mind was "Swedish Schottische" (http://www.nigelgatherer.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=657) - I had forgotten that it was not one of the first 21 tunes, so sorry about that.

• Occasionally I will introduce one of these tunes to my session, or classes, and from there they may enter the local session scene.

• There is no reasoning behind the choice other than a) they are tunes which I like and, b) they are tunes which I think other people will enjoy playing.

Time is irrelevant in the land of mustard.

Not always, even on the internet links cease to connect after a time. Been running up against that recently. Hyperlinking, like time relevancy, can be deceptive. Don’t get me wrong it’s grand someone sorted Wallerstein & Dodsworth in the tune comments.
Cheers Wedgie!

Posted by .

Dear sweet Jenny

Weejie, I had, more than once, but just didn’t add it. Somewhere I’ve the rest of the pages to your link… :-D

Thanks Nigel… I’ll blame you for my latest submission, if I get into trouble with ‘Da Whiz’, Jeremy…

When we had our old ‘slow session and community ceili band’ going I had a similar setup, but did include some points of torture, like "The Banks", a party piece. If the whistlers among us wanted to tackle that they had to increase their selection of pipes, with my suggestions they have at least the following ~ D, C, Bb and Eb… We also included some other listening pieces, including laments…

We ran into venue problems and I’m still trying to solve that one… Wish us luck…

The best of luck. If you end up playing in the streets I recommend bringing some animal skins to help with the cold.

Posted by .

Hats and ‘insulated’ fingerless gloves…

> > > if I get into trouble

Trouble is irrelative in Da Land of Whizardry

Posted by .

I cannot help lol, c. You’re far from underresourced.

Posted by .

Thanks for the schottis, Nigel. I’ve not come across that one, but I’ll keep my eyes open for it next time I’m delving into the Swedish archives.

X:1
T:Schottis
S:Nigel Gatherer
M:4/4
L:1/8
K:D
FG|A2fe d2cB|A2D2F2A2|GF EF GA Bc|d2cB A2FG|
A2fe d2cB|A2D2F2A2|GF EF GA Bc|d2d2d2:|
|:f2|e2EF G2GB|A2DE F2FA|GF EF GA Bc|d2cB A2f2|
e2EF G2GB|A2DE F2FA|GF EF GA Bc|d2d2d2:|
K:G
|:d2|e2dB G2g2|a2ge c2e2|de dc B2A2|
d6d2|e2dB G2g2|a2ge c2e2|de dc B2A2|G6:|
K:D
|:FG|A2fe d2cB|A2D2F2A2|GF EF GA Bc|d2cB A2FG|
A2fe d2cB|A2D2F2A2|GF EF GA Bc|d2d2d2:|

Time is irrelevant when you are delving into the Swedish tune archives.

That Library of Congress link ~

I think it screwed things up on that last link. Click on the [SEARCH’ and chase up this entry ~

"Jenny Lind’s favorite serenading polka, or, The national schottisch" - arranged by H.P. Weller

There’s also another entry ‘with variations’… :-D

I’d written it out too Weejie, here on Notepad, and was about to see if I had a ‘name’ for it other than ‘Swedish Schottische/Schottis’… :-D

thank you nigel, there is some very interesting stuff in there that i hadn’t thought of in a long time

Thank you ~

Very nicely done Nigel! If you used abc I’d love to see the format file… Maybe off list ;)

I’ve virtually stopped using abc notation now, except on thesession.org. It’s much more efficient for me to input directly into Sibelius.

oh nigel, here was i thinking that you scratched them out with a goose quill on parchment…

Hi when will you be taken new members to your site. Des

To register for The Gathering you just send me an email. nigelgatherer at mac dot com

Thank you Nigel. That will be very useful in the way other mp3 files from you web site have. I like the way your mandolin phrasing give us fluters hints on where to breath when first learning a tune !