Sherlock Holmes

Sherlock Holmes

Hey all
I am just home from the second Sherlock Holmes movie, quite entertaining if you like Guy Richie’s style. Anyway, just like in the first one, he used a piece of irish trad in the movie. In the first it were the Dubliner’s Rocky Road to Dublin, but in the second it was a reel, mainly played by a fiddle, backed by a bodhran. Unfortunately, they weren’t telling us in the credits who the musicians were. Would anybody on this list have an idea?
Thanks
Rolf

Re: Sherlock Holmes

One of Doc Watson’s musicians?

Ha, I just got back from the movie and was going to check to see if anyone had posted a thread like this one. Anyone have a name for the reel? The bootleg recording I made is sh*te, else I’d have a go at transcribing it myself.

Ha! The game is afoot!

I’d like to jump to the inevitable final posting of this mystery or who-dun-it when the tune and perpetrator is discovered and be the first to say. ‘Elementry My Dear Watson’!

Has the film got a website? You may find more info there. It really annoys me when I hear interesting music on a filmsound track and can’t find the details - when even the accountant and the person who does refreshments get a mention!.

Posted by .

Good one weeg!
How nice that they can ask on that link about a "violin song" and not get a load of abuse. Anyway, they seem to think it’s the Congress Reel ..

Posted by .

… played by John & Barney ?

Posted by .

Listening to my recording (which I can barely make out over the fight noises) again…the A part is a cousin of the Congress, but what little I can hear of the B part diverges. I’m almost sure it’s a different tune. I like to think that I can identify tunes that I play on a regular basis, especially when they’re being played in a 4-minute loop.

I seem to recall that "The Congress" reel was named after an event in 1932, a bit later than the days of Holmes and Watson.

Posted by .

Gerry Rafferty’s "Baker Street" was a bit later too - but it has some relevance!

On a slightly different note, the sweeping gypsy violin piece over the credits was lovely too. 🙂

Someone on Zimmer’s site suggests that it is "Johnny Cope" - which does have similarities to the Congress Reel - maybe a variant of Planxty’s version?

https://thesession.org/tunes/4953

Anyway, only those who have watched the movie will have a clue.

i was going to give this a miss, but as it is NOT in 3D and has tunes in it…hmm, may have to give it a try.

Hey all
@oldstrings: Wrong movie, this is the first one.

The tune didn’t sound familiar and I think I would have thought that I knew it if it was the Congress Reel or Johnny Cope. It was very well played, both fiddle and bodhran. The Congress Reel was composed around the Eucharistic Congress in Dublin, in 1932, but sure it could be used in the movie. It’s background music for a fight, but no one is actually playing it in the movie.
The hunt continues…
Rolf

Well and good, oldstrings, but what about the one thing that those of us on this thread want to know, and were quite forthcoming about asking? 😉

So Watson has an especially rough day of Christmas shopping, what with his bum leg and all, and returns to 221B Baker Street, and says to his roommate, "Boy am I glad to see you. After all, there’s no face like Holmes for the holidays…"

Don’t recognise it at all -it’s certainly not "The Congress", nor is it "Johnny Cope", as Weejie" says above. Doesn’t sound particularly Irish to me either. Can’t help with this one, I’m afraid.

Posted by .

Possibly a made up tune.

Hey
sure, I guess it’s written for the scene. No trad tune, not the Congress (although the very beginning is similar), and doesn’t sound like the Dubliners to me either.
So the question remains: Who are the musicians?

Thanks for putting up the tune!!
Rolf

Definitely sounds like a few riffs put together for the scene, as you say.
Couldn’t find any info on the session musicians (in the recording sense of the words) but came across an interesting little documentary regarding the Romanian musicians:

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/industry/tv-film/hans-zimmer-uses-sherlock-holmes-soundtrack-1005650562.story

Reminded me of the times I visited Romania; many of the restaurants and cafes had fantastic muscians, educated at the conservatory of folk music. The cimbalom player in the clips is excellent but that seems to be the standard over there.

Seems like it’s Roma musicians from Slovakia. Perhaps some of them play diddley too!

Well, the diddley was well played and so was the bodhran, it sounded authentic. That doesn’t mean it has to be someone Irish who played it. I am surprised it isn’t on the soundtrack and wasn’t mentioned at all in the credits..
Rolf

if your’re talking about the new movie that just came out at about 29 minutes. I’ve had a listen and the closest match I’ve come up with so far is Doctor Gilbert’s. although the feel of the tune is differnent than I’ve heard it before. I’m also very drunk at this point and now there’s highland bagpipes playing and I can’t really concntrate right now. It is a nice tune though would love to learn whatever it is. tomorrow I’ll try and confirm the Doctor Gilbert theory or sometime before tuesday. I’ll let you know what I come up with

it is definitely a tune I’ve played before but not one that is played in sessions in my area, unless it is the afore mentioned. I’m intrigued now

Never mind all that, I’ve just purchased the complete works of Arthur Conan Doyle on my new Kindle for $0.99!
Apparently I can download MP3s for background listening while I’m reading. Perhaps I’ll start with The Congress, followed by Doctor Gilbert. I’ll have the tunes subliminally committed to memory while you lot are still discussing the elusive tune.

For some odd reason, I’ve just remembered the Monty Python sketch about seeking out Jean Paul Sartre to ask him about the meaning of life…

hthis one with the same phrase ttp://thesession.org/tunes/10239

ha, i just went through this while/after seeing the film last monday….stayed to the bitter end of the credits hoping for clues….the credits featured two separate musico lists, a first that was something like, "roumanian soloists," or "soloists," something like that. no familiar names. then at the tail end of the credits they ran the names of musical numbers or sequences which included a "Performed by:…." line entry….those went by really fast, but i did not see this.

the fiddle solo took place at the beginning of the fight/chase sequence during watson’s bachelor party (different fiddling was heard along with roumanian ensemble playing later in the movie during the gypsy camp scenes and some other sequences)….the solo bit sounded to me like a version of the congress, or a combination of the congress and something else, perhaps played and "set" by a fiddler not of the irish tradition…..the A part was very familiar, but the B part did not go with the A part I know….great stuff anyway. the roumanian ensemble playing was very taraif des haiduks, which is always a good thing, a very, very, very good thing….🙂

Nobody playing ITM on the telly version this evening…….

I wonder was it the Punchbowl band, Guy Ritchie’s house band at his pub?

There was a joke about "Lemon entry dear Watson" , but we won’t go there.

Dia doibh. Good day everyone.

I’m positively sure the soundtrack contains the Conress reel (played by Poitín, the Czech band), for that there is no doubt, but I’ve been lurking on the internet and in my music sheets, and I cannot remember the name of the second reel of the set.
More astonishing, nobody seems to mention it somewhere on the web… It’s like there is only one reel. Even on Poitín webpage, they named the set only by the first reel’s name.
Though, I know that I know it !!! Could you guys help me to find it back ?

Go raibh míle maith agoibh ! Thanks a lot.

Hear ? What’s the name of the 2nd reel in the 2nd video you posted, Weejie ?

I was hoping someone else would identify it….
I’m not convinced the Sherlock Holmes tune is even a variant.

I know I am like way late with this, but, I suggest checking out The Dubliners. Their song Rocky Road to Dublin is featured in the movie. So my guess would be a cover of that(?) Or another jig of theirs? They are an awesome band! Good Luck! Hope I helped(like a year later) lol!
Lily

Posted by .

Hi everyone!

The first tune is The Congress - source: Duncan Chisholm playing it in my front room! 🙂

The second tune is Sheepskin Beeswax (French-Canadian) - source: https://youtu.be/loTm7g-KkFs

Sofie xx