The Best Jigs

The Best Jigs

What are some of the best, wildest jigs out there? I realized my repertoire is excessively reel-dominated and I need some good jig suggestions.

Thanks

Re: The Best Jigs

Out on the Ocean. Without a doubt, the best tune ever.

Thanks for the tune, that is a good one!

The Clapton Jig is a great one. Just rediscovered it the other day.

And Helvic Head. A majestic tune!

If there’s too many reels on your plate, we could also offer you some barndances, flings, slides, single jigs, polkas, marches, mazurkas, germans, highlands, strathspeys, waltzes, and airs.

Did I miss any…?

Oh, hop jigs and slip jigs!

Posted by .

Three-twos
Polskas
Muinieras

Nice tunes, No Cause For Alarm, got ‘em in the tunebook already, thanks.
I’ve got hundreds of everything but good, solid jigs, Danjo, though I will look into more Mazurkas!

And of course hornpipes!! Nonetheless Hillock asked for jigs.

Hillock - Damn. You know them already. I will have to think of some more…

Behind the Haystack
The Kinnegad Slashers
Headwood Crossing
When The Cock Crows It Is Day

Good then!

Recent rediscoveries on the jig front include the Scartaglen jig, anything called "Tom Billy’s," and the endlessly awesome "My Heart’s Full of Cheer ‘Cause my Belly’s Full of Porter." Happy hunting.

Posted by .

Cliffs of Moher is always satisfying, if you take it at a medium pace and let the tune come through. The Kerfun[kt]en (I’ve seen it spelled both ways) is a great tune.

The Kilavil is a good one, reminds me a lot of Mug of Brown Ale and Scotsman Over the Border, in different sorts of ways. You can make a nice set of those ones.
There’s so many great ones in the old standards, it’s hard to know where to start. The Cook in the Kitchen is one that I’m playing a lot lately. Connachtman’s Rambles never gets old - there’s tons of ‘em.

Thanks Jon, those do sound like good tunes.

My Heart’s Full of Cheer ‘Cause my Belly’s Full of Porter, that is endlessly awesome!

"Thanks Jon, those do sound like good tunes."

Every one of them’s a flat out lethal piece of tune. Handle with care.

Father Tom’s Wager
The Mill Pond
Rose in the Heather
Goat on the Green

teh best jig is Princess Nancy

Posted .

Strasthspeys are great with reels, why not learn some of those to your repertoire? Whatever the case, The Spotted Dog and The Humours of Trim(Rolling Waves?), have to be my favorites. They already called outmy other favorites, Out on the Ocean and The Connatchmans’ Ramble.

Buried My Wife and Danced on Her Grave is a great jig. And I’d second many supplied above, including Rose in the Heather. Although that one has a name that doesn’t match the feel of the melody. But that’s probably another thread.

Then there’s The Night Before Larry Was Stretched. That’s a good tune, albeit a slip jig, and the name does match the feel of the melody, especially the way Martin Hayes plays it.

The Mooncoin Jig
Tar Road to Sligo
Monaghan Jig

Posted .

The Mooncoin Jig and the Tar Road to Sligo! Yea, great tunes. I favor the first though.

Try "Two Mile Bridge", a three-part Cape Breton jig, one of my favorites.

Posted .

Two favourites are The Rambler (in A if there aren’t flutes or whistles to be accomodated) and Lark in the Morning.

The Rambler in A presents no problem at all on the whistle or flute so don’t hold back.

Posted .

"Helvic Head. A majestic tune!"

Well put, NCFA. I’m also partial to The Trip to Killarney, which follows it on Fisherstreet’s album.

The Roaring Barmaid

The Jocelyn Tree (or Jocelyn’s Tree), composed by Tommy Peoples, is a superb jig - one of my favourite tunes of all time.

Now I’ve got a good array of jig sets, thank you all.

Great call, Jim! And thanks for posting that fantastic clip — wonderful playing of one of my favorite jigs.

And I’ll second The Mill Pond

Another favorite for me: The Fly in the Porter

And a self-serving selection: Tommy McCarthy’s

As for old standards, Garrett Barry’s never leaves me wanting.

Port Chuillin, The Cordal, Tom Billy’s, and the Lark’s March/Geese in the Bog are some of my favourites that have not yet been mentioned.

Thanks for those Emily. I never knew then names of those first two. They are great tunes.

Smash the Windows
Boys of the Town
Calliope House

my favorites are Humours of Ennistymon and The Blackthorn Stick.

Doctor O’Neill’s is a favorite of mine, as well, Jim. Especially that fourth part! It was a favorite of a late friend of mine, who always followed it with Top of Cork Road. And great youtube version, thanks for posting it!

Grand tunes, all, thank you kindly for ‘em. Nothing like a roarin’ piece of six -eight to liven things up!

I’m glad someone mentioned Doctor O Neill, because to me the best jigs are the BIG jigs such as

Dr O Neill
The Gold Ring
The Humours of Ballyconnell

and some others I can’t recall the names of.