Agent virgin

Agent virgin

I have been approached to play with a group who intend to use the services of an agent. Anyone used one of these and what should I look out for please?

Posted by .

Re: Agent virgin

Hmm? This far down Cornwall Len I,d be looking for a different way to earn money.

The Inland Revenue.

I’ve met and worked with plenty of agents and managers and the best have usually been musicians themselves or those with a close affinity with the musicians they were representing.

What to look out for?

1) Is the agent’s percentage comparable to other folk musicians? Have a very close look at the sections of the contract related to marketing and recordings. Also work out how costly it is to arrange your own bookings (don’t just think in terms of telephone calls, but time as well) and whether the agent’s share is fair reward for undertaking that role.

2) Does the agent have a good track record of booking gigs? Ask for a resumé. Does s/he also book accommodation and include this and the cost of transport in the gig fee?

3) Talk to other people the agent represents.

4) Above all, do not sign away the rights to anything for which you can lay claim to the copyright (recordings, arrangements, sheet music, etc.).

Posted by .

Don’t believe them when they say, ‘There is no sanity clause."

Thanks for the input so far.
I agree with Mike.T but it is not just my decision.

Posted by .