last jig of Kathyrn Tickell / Alistair Anderson set

last jig of Kathyrn Tickell / Alistair Anderson set

There is a lovely 3-jig set on youtube by KT (playing the fiddle) and AA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAorU3G4r9E

The first two jigs are (correctly) identified in a comment as Snowy Monday and Alistair J Sim, both by Willy Taylor and both extensively discussed here. The last doesn’t seem to be one of the other Willy Taylor jigs in the Tunes section. I’ll be very grateful is someone can identify it and point me to its location here. Many thanks, Chet A Creider (Canada, but currently in Kenya).

Posted by .

"Bill Collins’ Jig" / "Dan Collins’ Father’s Jig"

I suspect that is what it is, with some nice variations. I’ll add a link and transcription in the ‘comments’…

Thanks for the link, I enjoyed the listen, though better with my eyes closed. πŸ˜€

Re: last jig of Kathyrn Tickell / Alistair Anderson set

What a delight - Northumbrian music’s most undulant exponents going through their paces, like fantastical boreal mantises or something caught on film by David Attenborough in a once-in-a-lifetime journey into the interior of Kielder Forest. (He will have used all his will-power to spend one whole minute adjusting the telephoto lens without swatting the midges: all his beaters, bearers etc. will have gone mad or fled, leaving him to sink or swim on his own…)

"It’s very close to "Bill Collins’ Jig"
…I suspect that is what it is, with some nice variations. I’ll add a link and transcription in the ‘comments’"

There are enough similarities to speculate that the two tunes might have a common ancestor, but not enough to give them the same name, in my opinion. The differences are not what I’d call mere ‘variations’ - this tune has an entirely different character to Bill Collins’ Jig.

If you put it into 4/4 and change a few notes, you get Polly Put the Kettle On. That woudn’t work with Bill Collins’ - unless you changed nearly all the notes.

To be or not to be ~

The differences are minor, chordal, in my opinion, not uncommon. But I like their way with it, giving it a Willy Taylor feel to it, but, as you’ve said, it could just be a common ancestor that predates both? That I’d love to see… But I couldn’t see enough difference to treat it as a seperate submission, in my mind… So I’ve added a transcription in the comments for "Bill Collins’". Maybe Alistair or Kathyrn have a different name for it?

I’ll write him and ask… 😎

Yes, it is different enough to warrant a place on its own. I hope Alistair comes back with some news on it and a name for it… πŸ˜€

A 1-4 - Collins’
d2 A BAB | def a2 f | aba f2 e | edd dfe |
A 1-4 - the 3rd jig
d2 A BAB | Adf a2 f | gBB e2 d | cAA Ag/f/e |

B 1-4 - Collins’
faa faa | afe f2 g | aba f2 e | d2 B BAB |
B 1-4 - the 3rd jig
dAA fAA | afe def | gBB e2 d | cAA Afe |

I’ve been playing the two of them together and over the top of one another too. πŸ˜› I got caught up in the quirky similarities between them… It’s not like my brain is in top order lately, blurred vision and a general haze.

I’ll ask Doc Dow too (Mark)…

"Gan Ainm" ~ out in the open now, fishin’ for a name

Submitted on January 19th 2012 by ceolachan.
https://thesession.org/tunes/11704

It’s been fun playing this, the set too, so hopefully we’ll have a name for it soon…

Yes - His Downess will surely come to the rescue.

…AKA Northumbrian Tune Info

Hi CMO! I’ve gone through what we have under Northumbria, recordings anyway, without luck, but it isn’t huge. I haven’t hit the collections as yet. πŸ˜€

I have dropped Mark a line, and Alistair, and Kathryn too… πŸ˜€

Christie Macleod, by Jim Johnstone.

"Christie McLeod" ~ C: Jim Johnstone ~

Thanks Weejie, appreciated…

Wow! So many thanks. This is indeed the tune (Christie MacLeod) and it’s a great one, like the other two in the set. I’m embarrassed to say that until a few days ago I didn’t even know Northumbrian music existed and had no knowledge of ABC, but then stumbled on to Willy Taylor’s compositions and fell in love with them. I’ll be able to make purchases when I return to Canada, but for now does anyone now if there are any mp3 files anywhere of Willy Taylor himself playing (or Joe Hutton)? Also, if there were any replies to the queries to Alistair Anderson and Kathryn Tickell with information about how they learned these jigs themselves, I appreciate hearing it. Thanks again.

Posted by .

For recordings of the shepherds, type their names into the search box @ this URL http://www.asaplive.com/archive/person_search.asp.

I’d say that Alistair Anderson & Kathryn Tickell most likely got the tune off Willy Taylor himself either at a session or later from the CD Ranting & Reeling.

For a list of Willy Taylor’s compositions and links to transcriptions go to my profile and scroll down.

"queries to Alistair Anderson and Kathryn Tickell" - still hoping… πŸ˜‰ I’ll add those to the transcription. Dots will eventually happen. Thanks to Mark for the jog to my semi-conscious state…

Yes, both Mark and I are very fond of Willy Taylor and the gang, and their music too…

Thanks for these links. Even though only small mp3s, listening to anything streamed is awkward through a slow modem, but I did get a bit of the flavour of his playing and will return to listen more systematically when back in Canada in April.

Posted by .

Don’t stream them, download them… It is also possible to capture audio from YouTube…

We are all Willies. πŸ™‚ πŸ˜‰ πŸ™‚ πŸ˜‰ πŸ™‚ πŸ˜‰ πŸ™‚ πŸ˜‰ πŸ™‚ πŸ˜‰ πŸ™‚ πŸ˜‰ πŸ™‚

πŸ˜‰ πŸ™‚ πŸ˜‰ πŸ™‚ πŸ˜‰ πŸ™‚ πŸ˜‰ πŸ™‚ πŸ˜‰ πŸ™‚ πŸ˜‰ πŸ™‚

I’m sure honorary Willyship can be extended, so to speak, to ladies and others who might prefer that status. πŸ™‚ πŸ˜‰ πŸ™‚

E tu Nicholas…

Alistair Anderson’s initial response ~

was just to confirm the name and his appreciation for Willy Taylor’s take on it, which is different. It seems he got it from Willy’s playing. I’ve asked him if he knows where he picked up the second ending. I’ll let you know if I get a response on that.

Excellent tune - thanks for posting that. Its now in our pad.