Cape Breton Fiddle Music Not Calm

Cape Breton Fiddle Music Not Calm

Does anybody have a copy of this in its original form - before the piano and drum tracks were added?

I’d love to hear it as it was recorded…

Re: Cape Breton Fiddle Music Not Calm

So would I. I’ve been after it for ages and have even tried the sources, including dear Paul Cranford, to no avail. But, I live in hope, maybe one day… :-/

If you ever get hold of it, hook me up, pleeeeeeeeeeeease…

Definitely… It would be so easy if we were still living there…

I looked at the track listing for this and laughed. What’s with these Scotchmen and their never-ending medleys? http://www.cbfiddle.com/rx/rec/r42.html Who would want to remember all that stuff, too? Do they use cheat sheets or something?

Guess I’m coming from rock and roll where your drug-addled noggin only had to keep 5 minutes tops of key changes. ;) Of course the medleys are nothing new, but Ashley and Howie’s are like whole tunebooks in of themselves.

I bought a huge heap of rare CB LPs a few months ago and want to blog them for the world to hear sometime. Have all kinds of responses to piracy accusations ready too, things like "Who cares" and "Don’t you have anything better to do with your time?" Might have a whole list ready to feed the trolls in boilerplate style. Or just do the whole thing anonymously.

Not on Megaupload, of course. I’ve been using Mediafire, who presumably won’t be suddenly gone, yeah right.

Have plenty of Irish LPs too, natch. Field recordings too, natch natch.

Forgot to bid on the Donald Angus Beaton LP the other day, crrrrrap. The Live at the House CD is the greatest recording of that music I’ve ever heard. Real coffin ships stuff. Must contact the seller to see if he has another copy.

"Do they use cheat sheets - ?" ~ Nope! Just joyful nutcases full to effervescent with the music and the craic…

You should check over those records Kevin, it might be some of the lot that has gone missing from our stuff. :-D

Yay! Blog, blog, blog, blog…

… Not Calm

There’s a few party pieces in those records. :-)

Posted by .

Absolutely Tonya ~ Howie MacDonald and Ashley MacIsaac!! :-D

Yes, Capers do like long medleys; one of my friends calls it the ‘twenty tunes in G’ syndrome’. Says that’s why he likes Irish music; just one, two or three tunes ( some Capers would add played over, and over, and over, and over….)

Re: Cape Breton Fiddle Music Not Repeated

Some Scottish players, and American too, and others, suffer this malady of being unable to deal with repeats, instead playing a tune just once through and then on to the next, stringing them together in that fashion. Fortunately, not all Cape Breton folk are so inclined. I prefer to get to know and explore a melody for a few repeats at the least, and that also includes dancing to the music, and having enough familiarity with it through repeats that I can lilt or hum it afterwards, sometimes finding I’m doing that involuntarily, naturally. Some RSCDS folk like the long medleys without repeats, but those also tend to be the sort that are into it for ‘challenge’ and ‘complexity’ rather than just for the social craic, and they frown at too much real joy. SMILE!!! ~ and show your teeth ~ :-) ~ That’s it, now freeze… :-D

"Some RSCDS folk like the long medleys without repeats"

I can’t think of any RSCDS dance that does that.

“‘Some’ RSCDS folk”

The music Jack, not a medley of dances. And we have run across it more than once, and even had some folks descend on a monthly gathering we used to hold and literally forced themselves on us and their endless melodies of tune after tune played in a plodding manner, even with the dots present. But, it has happened more than once. That said, I wouldn’t want to tar every person who ever pulled a bow or bellows for RSCDS with necessarily the same brush. I admit my biases, ours, but they are based on experience… The key is in ‘some’…

I have come across such people in sessions before. They deserve a good old slap! :-)

actually I am from cape Breton and I know that music cape Breton musicians just get together and play the tracks. Or tunes how ever, some fiddlers might play the fiddle than record themselves playing the piano along with it… but that’s not the case in this CD
it’s very live