not so much a discussion as a request- please…

not so much a discussion as a request- please…

Hello
I’ve not said much recently but am enjoying following things and learning new tunes. This site is so useful.

Can anyone provide the dots for a tune- a listening piece- called Paddys Rambles- they are trying teach it by ear at the fiddle school I go to once a week and its impossible (so far anyway) because it doesn’t have what I consider a logical pattern to help remember it by ear.

Heres hoping

Thanks
Cara

Re: not so much a discussion as a request- please…

hey, the full name of that tune is paddys rambles through the park, its a slow air from the playing of the donegal fiddler johnny doherty and as you’ve probably gathered by now, pretty rare and not heard much outside donegal.
i dont know the tune well enough to post it yet but at least when you do get it, you’ll know a bit about it.
its recorded by dermot byrne (box) on his solo albumb.
good luck

Mairt

Posted by .

There’s also a version of this tune on Paddy Glackin’s ‘In Full Spate’ album.

I,ve tried the link, but it didn’t work. Temporarily down or the wrong adress?
Lars

Posted by .

I have the notes here in a book about John Docherty ( and other northern fiddlers) I can put them up if you can wait a day or two.
He also tells a little story about Paddy chasing banshees around the park which is of course where the title comes from.

Posted by .

thanks for all the pointers- haven’t got a link to work yet but will keep trying.

Thanks for all the help- by a combination of using the midi and dots and tape from fiddle school- its on its way to being in my head. I can just about sing it now. Theres a second part to the way I’m learning it -it jumps from low A to middle A to top A in a dramatic- and difficult swoop. SOunds good when it works. Then the second half of the first part is repeated. My kids say it sound like its from a horror film!

John, the fiddler I accompany, puts in a lot of double-stops and some ornaments on this solo. He makes it more of a lament than an air. Very slow and mournful. Something like the Scottish piper’s piebrough(sp?).

Vonnieestes - Hi, I’m a highland piper (when I’m not playing guitar in my Irish ceili band). The word you want is ‘Piobaireached’, usually shortened to ‘Pibroch’ when written for convenience sake. Doesn’t Bonnie Rideout do something like that on her albums - pibroch on the fiddle?
Anyway, I was wondering if any of you fiddle players out there are aware of recordings where pibroch is played on the fiddle. I’m curious to hear anything you can recommend.

Thanks, TC. I knew the word had a lot more letters in it than I could ever remember. Anyway, the tune is beautifully played that way. John gets a lot of his tunes from pipers, though he usually plays Sligo style. Our CD will be out this month.

Vonnieestes - what CD are you talking about? I’ve always been interested in the way musicians transfer music written for one instrument to another, (pipes/fiddle, fiddle/piano, clasical style/heavy metal). It fascinates me. Anyway, I’d be interested in hearing your CD if there are some tracks with that translation going on. Got a website or anything where I can find out about it?

Sorry, TC, even though it was recorded, looks like "Paddy’s…." will not make the final mix on our CD. John is going for more straightforward Irish dance tunes hopefully along the lines of Claire’s Paddy Canny with pianist Bridie Lafferty. But, like I told Cara in my e-mail, I have a lot to learn. Tulla Ceili Band is just something to reach for. No website, we’re not computer-inclined. If you still want to know about our demo, e-mail me later in the month when more details are available.