Skye Collection Available For Free On Google Books

Re: Skye Collection Available For Free On Google Books

The ebook isn’t available in Ireland.

To those that cannot obtain it in their country, (message) let me know, and I’ll email it.

You can use a proxy server.

How do you actually download it? I click on your link but can’t see a download button.

Same for me NCFA

I had a hard time downloading it; had to go in through the main manual and search the title, then whenyou click the ‘read’ button I think it is, if you scroll down to the bottom there is an option to download a PDF. Something like that. Seems to be assuming most people are going to load it on to a device

Sorry, that was supposed to be ‘through the main portal’…

Beneath the blue “Read now” button on the right, is “Read on your device” in blue type; click on that, scroll down and at the bottom is the “Download PDF” button

It doesn’t work if you try and download from a UK IP address.

Look up "free proxy server" - you might have to try a few. Paste the URL in the appropriate place and you have it.

I downloaded it earlier, using that method.

I did a bit of searching and eventual found this site.

http://www.archive.org/details/skyecollectionb00macdgoog

Then I clicked on "All files" in the View the book box on the LHS of the screen and got the following

http://ia600506.us.archive.org/15/items/skyecollectionb00macdgoog/

I then managed to save the pdf file by clicking on same.
There are other possibilities too including clicking on "View the Book" itself.

That’s clever, John J. Presumably it will work with other books that Google restricts.

BTW - I used the archive.org link to the Google pdf with the proxy server, rather than the link in the OP.

i managed to download the pdf and attempted to put it on a reader (ibooks on ipad); it loaded to slowly to try to use, though it claimed to be entirely donwloaded. i tried twice, but it bogged down my reader. it would have been fun to have, i might have learned to read better. oh well. did anybody else find it responded very slowly even after it was downloaded?

I downloaded it onto a rather slow old computer. Takes a long time for the thumbnails to appear and they aren’t very informative when they do. No index. But the scan quality of the document itself is pretty good.

It’s much quicker for me to just grab the book from three feet away.

Once downloaded (which was fairly slow, owing to it being downloaded via a proxy server) it opens up reasonably fast. I have it on my home server and even on my slowish computer in another room, connected via wireless router, it is quite fast in opening.

Sheet Music?

It’s all under the *Tunes* tab.
At least according to the founder it is.
😏

Posted by .

The Skye collection of the best reels & strathspeys extant

Preface * * * *

To all true lovers of Scottish music, the Compiler trusts that this Collection of the best Reels and Strathspeys that have hitherto been composed will supply a want which most enthusiasts must long have felt—viz., a work which should embrace all the fire and vigour of our National Music concentrated in one volume, containing all the most musical and best compositions, and omitting those of doubtful excellence. This object, he hopes, to a great extent, been attained in the present work, and he feels confident that, wherever the book is opened, the player may turn to the right or to the left and he will meet with good tunes on "every page".

Though, of course, all do not possess equal merit, yet there are none that will sound unpleasant to the ear, and, with fairly good playing, there is no lack of fire in them. Some of the very best reels and strathspeys are pipe tunes, which one seldom or ever meets with in pianoforte arrangements. This real defect has been remedied in the present volume. The best pipe tunes have been introduced, and yet kept within the compass of the bagpipe; so that the performer, whether he be pianist, violinist, or piper, will find something fit for his mettle, and something that will never fail to rouse his enthusiasm.

It is but right here to mention some of the principal sources from which the tunes have been taken—which is a guarantee of their merit—viz., Marshall’s Music, the Gows, Daniel and Donald Dow, Davies’ "Caledonian Repository," Lowe’s excellent Collection, James Scott Skinner (the best living composer of Scottish music), Robert M’Intosh’s, Captain Fraser’s, the " Inverness Collection," J. T. Surennes’, Peter Milne’s, Cameron’s, Kerr’s. and several other minor collections.

Some of the pipe tunes have been taken from Ross’s, Gunn’s, and Glen’s Collections, and some have been written from memory, as they are generally played in the Isle of Skye.

One word of caution may here be given against the tendency that exists at the present day to play this class of music a great deal too fast. Some are possessed of the idea that, in order to dance a Highland reel well, one must jump and shout like a maniac. It is only on very festive occasions that this sort of capering should be tolerated ; in the beginning it was not so. The present writer well remembers the style of dancing of the older inhabitants of Skye thirty years ago, and he is bound to say that it was then different from what one sees nowadays in a public ballroom. It was then always graceful and spirited, without one-tenth of the shouting that is now heard ; and as to the time of the music, performers would have considered it an insult to be asked to play faster than the proper time. The strathspey, especially, should be played with grace and in measured time, giving the dancer an opportunity of moving his limbs gracefully. When this is not done, the thing degenerates into the railway speed performance of a clog dance in a pantomime, and to a stranger seems most ludicrous ; while the music itself sounds as a regular jumble of the same note repeated in different strains. In recording these truths, it must be remembered, however, that no other music can touch the human heart with greater effect than a Scotch reel ; and so long as human beings indulge in the innocent amusement of dancing, this class of music will always hold its own. If the Collection of our best tunes which has here been brought together should help to increase the popular taste for such an inspiriting pastime, the Compiler will consider himself amply repaid for his trouble.

Marathon House, Cupar, Fife,
November, 1887.

Digitized by Goo,*

Posted by .

I tried opening it and re-saving in the Mac Preview application. That ballooned it from 18MB to 64MB but it opens much, must faster now. The original must have used a lot of compression. (It took a couple of hours to calculate all the thumbnails when I first launched it; that alone must have made a big differeence).

I don’t find archive.org awkward to use at all, and it spent nearly three years almost permanently open on my computer. 🙂 If you go to the first site Weejie linked to and click "read online" on the left side of your screen, you get, essentially, a book you can flip through, search for things in, and there’s a zoom function for better reading. I think archive.org is very user friendly.

Archive.org is the easy bit. The problem is that Google obviously are restricting by geographical location who can download the book. Even if accessed through archive.org, you are led to a Google page. John J’s method of viewing the html page with the files listed is a dodge that is very useful to know.

John J’s method worked for me and it took no time at all to download the pdf. I already had the Skye collection as an ABC file, but this is great. I see it was scanned from an overdue library book. Google, eh! What are they like!?

Thanks John J. That worked a treat.

🙂

Posted by .

No problem.

Just a bit of good luck and sheer determination(or bloody mindedness) on my part.
🙂

I’m not sure how well it will work if I transfer it to my e-reader but I’m quite happy to have it on my PC and refer to it(Print off the odd tune or two) when necessary.

So if you want to download from the google link, click "Read on my device." and at the bottom of the resulting page there is an adobe link. I opened it with Foxit reader just fine. Foxit reader is a PDF reader that is faster than Adobe PDF reader. Of course PDF’s are huge files so that’s a limitation. An html file would undoubtedly load faster.

Huh? I looked at it on archive.org, flipped through some pages, bemoaned my crap sight reading skills, and was not taken to the Google page. It worked perfectly, doing exactly what I’ve done when looking at other things on archive.org.

That’s because you were looking at the book with archive.org’s reader. This is about downloading pdfs.

Thanks John. Got it now. 🙂

Thank you.

No matter what I have tried, I can’t get this to download either from Google or from archive.org
however my only problem was getting a copy of the cover, since I had all the other pages from a book that the binding broke. First I tried making a screenshot of the Google cover, but then noticed that the dedication and author had been redacted.
I found the book advertised for sale somewhere in Scotland at a website I don’t remember specifically but I downloaded the thumbnail of the cover and changed it to greyscale and made a negative to save ink. It’s a little blurred, but I needed some kind of cover to get the book spiral bound at Office Depot. So now I have the whole book which I copied in my scanner’s 2 sided document feeder and combined into a .tif file which I printed out with Irfanview. Very happy to have a new-looking copy which cost under $5 to play on my accordion to the accolades of passers-by. BTW it was so nice to find the related books at archive.org. Thanks for that info. They are seeming to be downloadable except for the Skye Collection. PS I would offer to post the Skye Collection via email, but the .tif file is over a gigabyte.

Actually now, the other link to archive.org does have the Skye Col. pdf download, and a non-redacted copy of the front cover in clear B&W. I was looking at the wrong link. How I cheat Google is using print screen and MS Paint, but it is tedious. I can do double pages by making it smaller. I just did this with the Glen Collection.

I have fiddle-case size copy of Marshall’s Collection, but have now found the .pdf online. But my book has a couple of appendices with more tunes. I want a full-size copy so I will print out the downloaded file, and then remove the plastic coil and feed the additional pages into a 2-sided scanner’s automatic document feeder. When I print out the pages using Irfanview it will automatically make the images fit the letter-sized pages. Then I will have that book bound for about $5.
Am I mastering this publishing thing or what?