Alan Lomax - Global Jukebox - Ireland 1951 and 1953

Alan Lomax - Global Jukebox - Ireland 1951 and 1953

http://research.culturalequity.org/get-audio-ix.do?ix=session&id=IR51&idType=abbrev&sortBy=abc

Ireland 1951 and 1953

This first anthology of Irish traditional music to be assembled on an LP record (as distinct from LPs consisting of reissues of 78s and Irish popular music) was drawn from these field recordings made by Alan Lomax, Robin Roberts, and Seamus Ennis, primarily in Cork, Kerry, Donegal, and Galway; and by Brian George and Maurice Brown for the BBC. Included are a young girl singing a death lament; performances by the traveling tinsmith and fiddle player Mickey Doherty; radical author Brendan Behan; and Seamus Ennis himself. The field recordings in Ireland were made with the cooperation of the Irish Folklore Commission, the BBC, and Radió Éireann; others were made later in various locations in London.

Re: Alan Lomax - Global Jukebox - Ireland 1951 and 1953

Wow! amazing recordings from all over the world at your fingertips! Alam Lomax would be so proud!

Thanks for the link.

Some grand stuff there, thanks.

Posted by .

Is there a way to get access to the complete recordings - these are fragments?

I don’t know. Even to have fragments of the recordings is amazing i think.

harmonic miner, Seamus Ennis was not one to allow anyone to “tag along”! He, and others like Maude Karpeles and Shirley Collins apparently thought it beneficial to collaborate with Lomax, and none of these people were known to be easily influenced.

No doubt it was mutually beneficial, oldstrings.

Yes I’d agree, the Idea that Lomax was simply tagging along is in my mind farcical

People seem to place a very specific meaning on the term ‘tag along’. Maybe I’ll rephrase my comment:-

“Seamus Ennis collected and recorded music in Ireland. Alan Lomax and also collected and recorded music in Ireland, sometimes the company of Seamus Ennis. Both made positive contributions to the collection and recording of music in Ireland”

If any of this rephrased comment is not true I will be very happy to be set straight.

These recordings have been updated very recently

It’s a well known but little expressed fact that Ennis could be a royal pain in the ass. I doubt Lomax was tagging along with anyone.

Posted by .