Radio 2 Folk Awards

Radio 2 Folk Awards

Anyone listening or watching?

Don McLean playing at the moment, guitar quite out of tune, harsh. But, a few weal kent faces in the crowd, including a sometimes mustard man ;~) hope I haven’t missed they’re nomination.

So, I’m going to put up with Don and give it an air…..

I’d be interested to hear what others think of this. As to my mind the Radio 2 Folk Awards seem weird :~|

Re: Radio 2 Folk Awards

not me - folk awards…hmmm….cliquey back slapping elitist croney-ism!

IMHO

Posted by .

*Quite* out of tune? It was bloody awful! And he tweaked just one string for the second song and it was almost as bad! One of the most unprofessional, p*ss-taking performances I’ve seen - since Donovan last year, that is!

But the Unthanks and Dubs were wonderful, as was that young Scots fiddle player…

In the past year I’ve had the pleasure of seeing many of the featured artists live. Brendan/Tim, Bella Hardy (with the wonderful Anna Massie), Martin Simpson, Emily Smith, Steve Tilston and more, and am pleased at this recognition. Frankly, it makes a change from the usual media coverage, who think English folk begins and ends with Carthys (various) and Rusby, and Ireland’s with Altan. (And ignore Scotland altogether).

Moore and Sinnott, as always, put in a tremendous live performance. Don McLean should watch, listen and learn.

Age catches up with us all, and for some that includes tuning problems, and I’m just not talkin’ ‘bout string tensions…

But as to some awful stink with regards to this 2012 exhibition ~ where was a clothes peg when I needed one? I’m just glad I watched it after the fact and could skip through some of the steamy dross, sorry, i meant to say ‘shight’… But no, I won’t name anyone. Each to their own, but, please, at a distance from my sensitive ears… Now I’ve got to go shave them… :-P

Blessed were the ‘few’ pleasures…

What was it Don MacLean said ?
"Don, what does American Pie mean ?"
"It means I don’t have to work any more."
Or to tune his guitar, obviously. Of course, he comes from the time before guitar tuners were invented.

There are also those who say that the whole Radio2/Mike Harding thing is very cliquey and un-representative of the folk music scene as a whole; Sid Kipper, for instance, has written a song about why won’t Mike Harding play any of his records - it worked for Dr Hook, after they wrote "Cover of the Rolling Stone", but obviously not for Sid Kipper.
Personally I pull/learn the odd song off of the Mike Harding Show, but it is only a snapshot of the scene, and a partial one at that, and I’m less enthused and needy about listening to it then I used to be in years gone by. Also I get out more these days.

Thats kind of my take too Pete, although I don’t listen to his show.

For me Mike Harding’s best work was his book on "North Country Spiders", fly patterns for fishing free stone rivers and streams, on that subject I could listen to him wax all night ;~) Don’t think we’d see eye to eye on tunes and players thereof, of chanters come to that……

BBC Radio 2 Folk Awards is a very small and exclusive club, I was amazed at The Dubliners getting an award, it was the only truly deserved one in the show.

And lets face it, Don MacLean ? a lifetime acheivement award for writing 3 pop songs ? do me a favour.

Dave H

“cliquey and un-representative”

You do wonder when from Eastern Europe, across North America, and beyond, and next door, folks will often say the few names you’d need to know in order to get your foot in the door of things here on this island, meaning that collective term ‘Britain’. The problems of arse kissin’ aren’t limited to here… It’s a shame, a disappointment, an embarrassment… But, I’ve known it elsewhere too, small and large…

"There are also those who say that the whole Radio2/Mike Harding thing is very cliquey and un-representative of the folk music scene as a whole…"

If it is very cliquey and inverted beyond belief, then it seems to me to have the essentials for being thoroughly representative of English folk music scene hell.

But fortunately, like (I believe) Buddhism, the English folk music world has 40,000 hells, not just one. This means no-one need be a total outcast. He or she just has to find admittance to one of them. This renders performance at the Radio 2 Folk Awards or the Cambridge Folk Festival unnecessary.

I’m afraid I find Mike Harding’s progs pretty unlistenable. Whenever he says, "Now, this one’s an absolute classic…" (or something similar), it’s pretty well guaranteed to be an absolute hairball of singer songwriter up-chuck that is as welcome to the sentient as having to gag on a kilo of rancid yard. Really. I used to listen to Folk On Two often enough, so I know…

Lard. Not yard. :-)

haha, great rant. Lard help us

Posted .

To Guernsey Pete,
Good point, but none of the members of Doctor Hook wrote The Cover Of The Rolling Stone. It was written by the late Shel Silverstein who also wrote The Unicorn, A Boy Named Sue, the liner notes for Ramblin’ Jack’s first album and many children’s poetry books such as Where The Sidewalk Ends.

Re: Radio 2 Fluke Awares

Sympathies nicholas, now I understand I’ll be kinder in future, more patient… And I’d thought it was just something in the water there… ;-)

Not forgetting "The Lion Who Shot Back"…………
How I miss Uncle Shelby.
Incidentally, Sid Kipper, out of greasepaint, still sounds just like Sid Kipper.

I didn’t enjoy the Nothanks.

Why didn’t anyone get an award for the most affected American accent?

Who are "The Judges"?
I asked one of the judges - he said he wasn’t allowed to tell me.

For me, the highlight was Steve Knightleys mention of FOLKWAVES, Radio Derby’s weekly, award-winning folk programme (the only one in the North of England), which was taken off by the Beeb last year - not enough Derby listeners. Despite having a worldwide following of listeners (2,400 plus).

Breaking news …….
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/groups/179117267060/

SK was very brave - he will not be allowed back on the Beeb now.

A year ago Guernsey Pete wrote:
"There are also those who say that the whole Radio2/Mike Harding thing is very cliquey and un-representative of the folk music scene as a whole; Sid Kipper, for instance, has written a song about why won’t Mike Harding play any of his records - it worked for Dr Hook, after they wrote "Cover of the Rolling Stone", but obviously not for Sid Kipper."
************************************************************************************************
I realise that no one is still reading this thread, but I thought it should be mentioned that Dr. Hook’s version of "The Cover Of The Rolling Stone" was not written by the members of Dr. Hook, but was a "cover" of a song written by the late Shel Silverstein. I don’t believe that Shel ever made it to the cover of The Rolling Stone.

My apologies. I just re-read the thread and I see I’ve already posted about Shel. Sorry ‘bout that folks.