Can anyone name this tune

Re: Can anyone name this tune

It’s a version of Larry Redican’s ‘The Big Leap’ . Joe Bane often had his own way through a tune, away from the standard versions. Sometimes he cut the melody a bit short, like he does in this one in bar 11 for example.

As a matter of coincidence, I was indexing the recording this was taken from yesterday, all 75 tracks of it.

Posted .

Both correct. I’ll work out the ABC and add it as a variation.

Thank you both

Miss Monaghan.

And (O’Keeffe’s) Speed the Plough after that

Posted .

I learned a very similar setting of Rattigan’s (Redican’s, The Big Leap - but without the ‘big leap’ from G, to g) from a concertina-playing friend. She picked it up from a Mary MacNamara recording. It sounds like it has been ‘compressed’ to suit the range of a particular instrument (e.g. whistle), so it is likely that Mary Mac got it from Joe Bane.

Have a listen to John Skelton and Kieran O’Hare’s verson on their album Double Barrelled it’s great, moves along with a great pulse. They call it Joe Bane’s

It’s on spotify too… if only I’d searched there first I could’ve saved us all a lot of bother.

I’ll have alisten to that album now. I mostly know K O’H from his piping so’ll be nice to hear more of his flute playing (I love his flute version her golden hair on his pipes album)

It’s a brilliant album!, I play it almost every day!

It’s on Mary Mac Namara’s

‘The Blackberry Blossom’. She has it as "Rattigan’s" and she learnt it from Joe Bane.