Worst version the “The Butterfly”

Re: Worst version the “The Butterfly”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s-0KXILXsk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFOzHU7otGI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igAo86ln5gg

It’s too easy .. shooting fish in a barrel. Where’s the fun in that?

Maybe there’s more fun in poking fun at someone who so clearly can’t play the tune, they post a version of themselves playing it as bad as they can. Come on worldfiddler, give it your best shot instead?

Posted .

So help me, I liked it too! I wanted to hear Morticia Addams say "Thank you, Thing."

It’s a beautiful tune , and has become (and will more than likely remain )part of the tradition,and for good reason ,just because its simple and anyone can play it doesn’t mean it’s any lesser a tune.
in fact that probably makes it even better .the simplicity leaves more room for feeling (soul).

Say what you like about this tune ,but it’ll be around long after were all gone……..

here’s a song version our band does cheesy (maybe)
but the girls like it …………http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2eHOxHi0LY

Posted by .

I don’t give a two sh*ts about what anyone says, I like this tune. It might be overplayed, but it is still a good tune.

Thanks Ailin — that was a great rendition/performance you posted. I’d never heard The Butterfly played on a kalimba.

I bet The Ashgrove would sound wonderful on it as well.

Thanks, everyone for the replies. Tommy Potts version is very quick and lively, and I too like the version played on kalimba - first time I’ve heard it played on one of them.

I for one really dislike the tune, many here don’t, no problem there.

There’s an old saying, "it’s not the tune, it how you play it." I think the versions posted here bear that out

I remember a thread on this site a while back along the lines of "which tunes do you absolutely hate?", or something like that.

@Llig : .yldab od I sgniht rof em ta nuf ekop elpoep wonk I dna ,nuf fo tib a tsuj saw ti taht rednimer lanif a tsuJ :) :) :)

Re: Worst version [of] the “The Butterfly”

I liked the kalimba version too. Beautifully played.
The butterfly isn’t necessarily a cheesy tune. There are just a lot of cheesy players.

Worst version of the “The Butterfly”?

In the words of the poet Gerard Manley Hopkins:

"NO WORST, THERE IS NONE ! "

I.e., their ghastliness is bottomless and cannot be ranked.

Just to add a little perspective on my original post - although that little demo showed a tune played badly, the truth was that the player in question didn’t just have problems playing the tune - he had problems playing the instrument.

He knew it, but was not prepared to put in any practise to to get to an acceptable standard. Often he’d start a tune (eg The Butterfly) and no-one would join in - partly because it was no fun to listen to, and also because when someone is playing out-of-tune in an ensemble, the in-tune players’ first instinct is to want to check their own tuning.

OK, Worldfiddler, so did anyone at this session actually *talk* to this fellow about this issue, or are you all just waiting for him to google your name, nationality, and location, thereby leading him to find your profile, and then this thread mocking him?

If Noel Hill happens to be in your neck of the woods for a gig or whatever, ask him to play the original jigs that T. Potts cobbled together to create The Butterfly. Absolutely brilliant.
I am no fan of the ponderous version of TB myself, to say the least, and I think it’s sad that those tunes have now sunk into oblivion. The names of those jigs have been lost, unfortunately, unless somebody else can shed light on the matter.

They’re : Óró, a Thaidgh, a Grhrá (CRE1, 65) Bóthar na gCloch (Bob and Joan, CRE1 63)

Posted .

-Ghrá-

Posted .

@Tall, Dark, and Mysterious : no , that it not the intention. Yes, we spoke to him on many occasions, but he is thick-skinned, stubborn, feckless, and didn’t seem to bothered about the whole problem. And those were just his good points :) I’m sure if he could be arsed to Google any of this stuff he would be happy to have a little bit of "fame". I don’t actually dislike the guy. I’d happily drink with him, but I wont play music with him. I think you’d be of the same mind.

@Tonya - thanks for the link. As this site (albeit a great resource for music) is not forum-based, it’s not easy to find old threads, esp if you are not a current contributer.

Thanks Prof.

"The butterfly isn’t necessarily a cheesy tune. There are just a lot of cheesy players. "

It’s a terrible tune. It’s just badly made. There’s a reason every version of the tune, from the newest duffer to the top-flight players, including the Potts version, sounds exactly the same: the tune has nothing but the one tune in it. It’s just badly written, boring to play, and boring to listen to.

There are cheesy tunes that are good - the The Glasgow Piper (formerly known as the Silver Spear) has almost nothing to it, you can learn the whole thing in minutes, but everyone who plays it can find something new in it if they just look for it. The Double Entendre (aka Dunmore Lasses) is as simple as a tune can be, but anyone can make it their own. The Butterfly, on the other hand, shackles the player to the most boring and square phrasing in the world, and nobody yet has done anything interesting with it.

It’s a pretty tune the first time you hear it. The third or fourth time, though, should be enough for anyone.

A bad tune played badly (By me, not the Bothy Band). Can’t ask for much more than that :)

On the subject of pulling the wings off of butterflies ;-)

Accompaniment for the Butterfly
# Posted on October 12th 2001 by GoldenKeyboard
https://thesession.org/discussions/141

Discussion: Why? ~ How not to play "The Butterfly"
# Posted on July 30th 2008 by ceolachan
https://thesession.org/discussions/18603

What are the top tunes that are so overplayed at sessions, they make you groan?
# Posted on April 1st 2009 by worthy
https://thesession.org/discussions/21159

Online session on youtube (The Butterfly)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZARxiWJGAaU

# Posted on May 22nd 2009 by -Abraxas
https://thesession.org/discussions/21638

The worst tune in the world
# Posted on January 3rd 2012 by Jon Kiparsky
https://thesession.org/discussions/29067

Bless the Kalimba - an instrument I appreciate in the right hands and a rendition of "The Butterfly" I too enjoyed and that link I’ve sent on to a few friends… Thanks for that smile Ailin…

Mind you, some of the other links had me chuckling away…

Getting psychoanalytical about it, is such a strong dislike based in ones own inability with a given tune. There is something extreme and unreasonable about disliking to the point of hate a melody. There must be something deeper and darker at the roots of that, don’t you think? 8-) Maybe you just need a good leather couch, medication and a lie down?

Talk it over with yourself and try to come to terms with it? Holding it in will only exacerbate the tension… :-D

I’m sure it’s therapeutic to discuss the things one loathes.

Posted by .

That’s funny c. I hadn’t even read your post when I responded to Worldfiddler.
;)

Posted by .

I’ve never understood that one, for it to be therapeutic to discuss bad things. I’ve always done it the other way round … concentrated on thinks I thought were good.

Not that I shy away from things i don’t like, I’m always up for taking the p i s s . It’s just that If I want to put any effort into something, it will be something I like

Posted .

It may be a typo, but it’s my new favourite, "… concentrated on thinks I thought were good."

Posted by .

”~ concentrated on thinks I thought were good” ~

‘thought were’, but that leaves it open just in case you were completely wrong.

However, I’ll admit it, one listen to that link of Wf’s MP3 was enough, and I didn’t listen all the way through. I can’t bother the sweat to dislike it let alone the adrenalin to hate it. Yeah, it’s awful, so is Spam, though I had fond memories of it as a kid. I had to buy a tin of it and give it a try, and one bite was enough, like that MP3. Now to go wash out my ears with some decent listens…. :-D

Of course that mp3 should give you some negative feelings. There’s nothing like a good, refreshing reality check every now and again :)

Good grief, bonedog,

I’m not a cat, but I’m shrieking now!

Posted by .

So far, my post has generated at least one derogatory comment on YouTube from a Session member whose own YouTube channel has no videos, no content, no subscribers and no activity of any kind - except for the one nasty comment he posted on YouTube about my musical performance.

I don’t mind seeing obnoxious ravings here at The Session. But to sling that sludge on YouTube…get a life, man.

To be fair, that’s just par for the course, isn’t is, bonedog? You put it out there, someone slags it off, and the cycle continues …

Posted by .

If "Zargblast" wants to slam me here at The Session, that’s fine.

But to crawl off and slag a performance on YouTube - when he has no activity of his own up there. Then sorry, but that’s just a stinkin’ coward.

Yeah, probably right. There appears to be a spate of them around at the moment. :-/

Posted by .

Actually, "Zargblast" on YouTube is an example of that well-known genre - Criticus Artium Elegantium, to be found where there’s music, drama, literature, painting, etc. Not usually known as a performer or practitioner in any art form they lurk in, but are generally harmless if quietly ignored. But they do have their uses, and their opinions can sometimes be right on the nail …

I have not found a "Zargblast" here in the list of members.

You can find Zargblast mentioned below at The Session in 2008 (the same year he opened his YouTube account).

The best players can always do both
https://thesession.org/discussions/18070

"…Finally to the comment made by Zargblast,he is not a genuine account holder,but someone with a personal grudge against me,as was a previous commenter, Fisting for Jesus,who did not have a genuine account either. judging from the timing of the last comment [ Zargblast] it might indicate someone from this forum. I know who it is,and find it very sad that anyone has to make up a false account twice,purely to say something unpleasant. in fact it is very sad that there is not much tolerance shown to other peoples points of view on this forum."

# Posted on June 15th 2008 by Dick Miles

Just curious, but given the apparent lack of information about the person who made the comment, how do you know that he / she is a member of "thesession.org" ?
And although his/ her comments could hardly be seen as constructive criticism, you shouldn’t really expect everybody to like what you put up on "Youtube".
Old Scottish proverb - "If you flee [ fly ] wi’ the craws, ye can expect tae be shot at".
The commentator’s musical ablity, or lack of, is neither here nor there.

Posted by .

Okay, let’s forget about Zargblast. After all, this part of the thread is supposed to be blasting me.

Oh sorry. Yeah ye’re crap. That better? :-D

Posted by .