Has anybody tried GGGDAE guitar tuning?

Has anybody tried GGGDAE guitar tuning?

It would probably sound slightly less weird if I explained that it’s basically tenor banjo tuning with the ‘extra’ two lower strings also tuned to G.

I have been experimenting with it for the last week for playing melody with the occassional double stop/drone/part chord etc thrown in. I can get some interesting sounds and will continue with it. It seems particularly suited to those Amix/Ador type tunes which would naturally have A/Am and G chord accompaniements

Has anybody tried anything along similar lines to this?

Re: Has anybody tried GGGDAE guitar tuning?

No

And here I thought B was the basement for the low string?

I knew a guitarist who tuned CGDGBE, ie 5th string down one tone, 6th string down two. He had the top strings as usual, plus extra bass. Worked for him.
Do you have the 6th string tuned down or up ?

I’ve been wanting to try DAGDAD, DAADAD, or something similar on guitar, but play it like a bouzouki with two extra drones.
I’d be interested to hear others’ experiences with stuff like this.

I like ‘D’GDAAe

you have to be conscious of two A strings tuned to unison which you can use to your advantage whenever possible, though it’s actually a huge hurdle when trying to play at session speed. If you’re on the "D" string and need a note higher than G use the A string closest to you and if you’re on the "e" string using the other A. to get to this tuning from DADGAD tune the G string up to A now tune the high D string up to E (where it would be in standard tuning) leave the middle D string where it is but tune the low A string down to a G and leave the D string alone, you might only use it for droning or whatever.

"I knew a guitarist who tuned CGDGBE, ie 5th string down one tone, 6th string down two. He had the top strings as usual, plus extra bass"

I spent a while playing with the Bach cello suites in this tuning. Sounded nice when it came together, but I had to get a pretty beastly low string to get the C to come out, and still it required a lot of adjustment of my technique. I don’t think I’d want to use a pick in that tuning, though - it’s hard as hell to bring out any volume on a tone that low and a string that slack. I don’t know how your friend gets away with it.

It depends how the guitar is set up but there are plenty of guitarists who regularly play in some form of c tuning, Martin Simpson and Dougie MacLean being prime examples.

CGDGBE is what Richard Thompson used for Vincent Black Lightning.

"I’ve been wanting to try DAGDAD, DAADAD, or something similar on guitar, but play it like a bouzouki with two extra drones"

If you play bouzouki you might like DADF#AE. drop the F# to F for Dmin

I was using 6th string tuned up, 5th String tuned down, 4th string tuned down - all three to same note but obviously with different string thicknesses and tensions

Thanks for that Al I always wondered what the master was doing in that song.

6th down to D, 5th to G, 4th D, 3rd A, 2nd E and 1st D (it takes a bit of getting used to having your top string lower than your second, but it’s easier than jumping up and down seven frets).

Posted by .