www.endaseery.com

www.endaseery.com

Just to let everyone know that some adjustments and improvements have been made to my website so feel free to browse it. Regards. Enda.

www.endaseery.com

Posted by .

Re: www.endaseery.com

One of my pet hates are sites that blare music out at you unprompted a few seconds after loading. That would be my main complaint.

(Not that it’s bad music, of course!)

Press pause if you don’t want to listen to it. I think its nice to give people a few tracks from the album. If you don’t like it, tough!

Posted by .

I am fully aware of the pause button!

My honest opinion? Put the music player somewhere more prominent. Make it obvious what it does and entice people to press play.

Don’t just assume they want to hear it, what if they’re listening to music elsewhere and get annoyed at hearing two things at once?

From a UX point of view.

I also find auto-playing audio on web pages very annoying, in general. Especially if I was just listening to something recorded at a lower volume than the "surprise sounds" that suddenly blare out at me.

Truth is, many of us surf the net while at work—not enough to lower productivity, mind you, our noses are pressed firmly to the grindstone and all that,—and to land on a website with default music can be embarrassing. It’s even kind of considered rude, in some circles of web design.

That said, your music is top notch. Best of luck to you.

What? I never surf the net when I should be working!

"If you don’t like it, tough! "

This is the essence of one school of bad design. Your job as a designer is to come up with something that the people you want to attract find attractive. Imagine designing a flower that emitted a smell pleasant to the designer but noxious to the flower’s pollinators. "I like it, if you don’t like it, tough". Well, sure. But the flower doesn’t get pollinated, and the design doesn’t do what it’s meant to do. Fail. Flower dies.

In this case, loading the music player on every page is an absolute nuisance. I was able to use adblocker to kill it, but I had to tweak it so I didn’t kill all of your stylesheets as well. Most people aren’t going to bother.

This is an especially bad design because if I’m visiting your page and I like the tune, I have to stop looking at your page if I want to keep listening to it - so you’re defeating your own goal of getting people to find out more about you and maybe buy the record or come to a gig. Oops. Most likely, if I like your music, I’ll load the page and keep it open in a tab while I look at something else. Not what you wanted.

Playing music at your hapless visitors is a design mistake that people stopped making in the late 90s, early oughts. Don’t start making it again!

Instead, provide a page where people can listen to album tracks. If you want to be really clever, you could dope out a way to persist the music across my session (possibly with an iframe, but there are probably much better ways than the one which just popped into my head and has obvious problems from the get-go). Then I can check out your music while I’m on your page, and it serves to keep me on the page longer, which is what you had in mind.

I know it’s not right, but often when I click on a site and it starts off blaring audio at me, I quickly click to go elsewhere. I feel the same about too many gimmicky things, like flash. There are some nice listens to be found on this site, but I’d rather I chased them up myself by linking through to listens on the site rather than automatically catching an earful from the start…

Users of Firefox can NOScript which blocks Java scripts initially. Then you can choose whether or not to listen to the music (among many other things).

Posted by .

Jeez ye guys talk some unbelievable rubbish here. Only was telling people that some updates were made to my website and of course typical to thesession.org ye have to go and make a big song and dance about it!

Posted by .

Ever hear of a pause button?

Posted by .

Lad we want you to succeed! This is a very constructive critique. You have the chops, no question. It’s the presentation we’re on about.

OK. I visited the site with the sound off. Didn’t like it much. No big deal, though, so I’m not going to make a big song and dance about it.

"Ever hear of a pause button?" ~ round and round and round we go…

Where’s my top hat and spats, and my new dancing shoes and cane ~ as said, I just gladly move on to other realms. It doesn’t really cause me a problem, as I can avoid it. Why bother with a pause button when there’s so many other things to explore, on and especially off line… 😎 as I dance on out of here before the pause button is suggested yet again, or someone whines because someone else doesn’t like their web design… Sheesh!

"Puttin’ on my top hat ~ "

It’s a universal problem that will always exist, whether the design is for the designer or for the visitor… Yeah, and there are similar issues with tunes too…

These new shoes are a little tight. Where’s my well worn ones? There! That’s comfy. Now I can dance on out of here in comfort…

😛

Nice playing.

It isn’t immediately obvious where the pause button is, and surreptitious goofers-off in their Dilbert cubicles can’t afford to have unsolicited jigs drifting over the partitions.

Now can we moan about the layout? The green panel at the top gets cut off in my browser so all I can read is ENDA SEERY: TRADITIONAL IRISH MUSICIAN and the top few pixels of a line of text contining that. And the picture has been been squashed about 10% vertically so you look like a mutant.

Nice playing though.

Could you please listen to Jon Kiparsky? Scroll up.

I think it’s lovely playing … and I couldn’t give a sh*t about the website

Posted .

Neuvo cuisine & comfort food ~ differences in tastes

Fair enough, but it wouldn’t be the first time we disagreed… It is ‘sweet’… 😏 Another friend has enda’s recording as one of his recent favourites:

"Enda Seery: The Winding Clock"
https://thesession.org/recordings/3836

WHY? ~ & ~ ‘Nouvelle Cuisine’ maybe for some, but it ain’t for me

Wouldn’t it be reasonable to ask WHY? ~ Why people passionate about music are commenting on web design? I can easily think of several reasons, which I won’t list, except for the first ~ we’ve been asked ~

"some adjustments and improvements have been made to my website so feel free to browse it."

There are a few key seeds in this opening comment ~ ‘adjustments’, ‘improvements’ and ‘website’, and the direction to ‘browse it’… Nowhere in that opening sentence is ‘music’ mentioned. So the focus is, naturally, on Enda’s website, as he’d directed. We would, of course, assume or know that music must be part of that. For me that was obvious, and made emphatic when the audio instantly hit the speakers…

The most constructive comment given so far in this thread is Jon Kiparsky’s, who said it better than I could have, but fitting my impressions of the ‘website’ we were offered to visit. It’s easy to just say nothing at all, or to just comment on how ‘lovely’ the music is. But that wasn’t how this thread started, it didn’t begin specifically with music. It started up about a website really, didn’t it? ~ which also includes a focus on the music by the person who opened this up, the owner of said website, Enda, hoping, of course, naturally, to promote and sell his wares.

On that other point, the music, suddenly feeling the need to make it clearer on my little wade through here ~ while I know people who love Edna’s whistling and find it ‘lovely’ and ‘nice’, and I’d never take that away from them ~ and though this didn’t open up about the ‘music’ but the ‘website’, I must come out of the shadows and admit "it ain’t for me!" It didn’t make my ‘list’. It’s just too ‘nouvelle cuisine’ for me, and in particular his compositions. I tend to favour things otherwise. In this household we’re both very fond of comfort foods, things more substantial, satisfying and filling… There’s no doubting the time and effort and resultant skills, but it don’t move my feet, hold my interest, or satisfy my hunger…

That’s me being restrained, tempering my comment, as at the moment I’m in a very deconstructive mood.

I think I’ll put on some Josie McDermott to refresh my ears and lift my soul ~ ‘nice’ & ‘lovely’ meat and two veg…

Who knows, it might grow on me… 😉 I’m open to the possibilities… I have had a few fancy shmansy mouvelle dishes I quite liked… 😎

Great stuff Edna lovely playing, more grease to your fingers

Tea anyone?

That little finger is going to give you grief though, if not already…

‘moovelle cuisine’ ~ must have been beef dishes, maybe veal… 😀

Wow, quite an attitude for someone that posted on a forum. Did ya really think that people weren’t going to give their opinions?
As for the web design? Well, not great. Not sure what that clock is doing hiding behind stuff over there on the right.
Colors are used in a weird way, lots of "shouting."
The design really didn’t make me want to explore your site.

Well I’m more likely to be put off with fancy graphics etc for this type of site, I hate the "fur coat nae knickers" hard sell. This site is basically a few personal pages used to promote the site holders own endeavors, playing teaching album etc. From my point of view the site does it’s job well enough and if anything, it’s rather nicely understated, which I find refreshing.

Some good objective criticism in the posts above mind and Edna may want to take heed of one or more of the points made, thats up to him.

Trad music still has a roots up edge thats keeping things vibrant, it’s people like this who’re keeping it happening and local. If they can’t give a wee punt to their stuff here, thus extending their music to others plus making it more viable for themselves at the same time, where can they do it?

It’s not some multinational spamming some buckshee advertising, it’s a lad in Ireland making a go of it and alerting others to the fact that there and available. Like his music or not, I’d like to think this is the sort of thing people in mustardville would/should be supportive of, or at least open too. And the fact that he’s prepared to stand up for himself, all the better, he’s his own man, all to rare these days and, a bit of attitude is a handy resource. If you see your self as a consumer to be pandered to then maybe Edna isn’t for you. I like a bit of attitude and it was actually this post that made me click the link;

"Press pause if you don’t want to listen to it. I think its nice to give people a few tracks from the album. If you don’t like it, tough!"

# Posted on February 17th 2012 by whistlemad

:~) Good man, ha ha.

The last 10, christ on a bike, more, albums I’ve bought have been direct from those who’ve had their names on the album cover, or their agent, who actually takes the time to stop in at my door for a brew and natter whilst we see whats he’s got in his bag.

His name’s ENDA, Solidmahog!

Posted by .

and I’m sorry for the mistake. Do forgive me Enda.

The spring has sprung ~

Kobe beef shashimi - pink, pickled, shaved and rolled into tubes, then topped with a hand carved black olive fipple stuffed with a fipple plug of carefully shaped Sykes Fell aged sheep’s cheese, leaning against a small crennelated hexagonal tower of bi-coloured Pennini piccoli pasta with slow smoked slivers of greyhound hind, with deep red pimento buttons, black capers and a all in a green and pink pepper cream sauce, decorated round about with brush strokes and drops of a reduced pomegranate and balsamic juis.

Obviously meant to raise a "WOW!", as it has for some, but not for me. But, I do find the attention to detail ‘interesting’. But there’s no Pavlov’s dog reaction, no salivating, no drooling… 😛 It’s just a bit to bitsy and assembled for my liking, just ‘interesting’…

"that clock" ~ wyogal ~ it’s the cover of the CD, and from one of his compositions, both called "The Winding Clock", though possibly wound too tightly?

"understated" would be good. I think most of us commenting on the site are of a similar mind, not fond of the overly ornate, or as you’ve put it Solid ~ "fancy graphics" & "fur coat nae knickers". I too prefer things more practical, considerate, useful, accessible and not in your face, as fancy bits like Flash & Java & other scripts can be…

"It’s not some multinational spamming some buckshee advertising, it’s a lad in Ireland making a go of it and alerting others ~" - Solidmahog

True enough… But let us have our own opinions and not be led to feel we’ve somehow sinned against Mustardom and Irish traditions because we don’t happen to like something. "Attitude"? 😏 Hmmmm…

"Press pause if you don’t want to listen to it. I think its nice to give people a few tracks from the album. If you don’t like it, tough!" ~ whistlemad

~ those who were commenting about that aspect of the web design were not commenting negatively about the music. So that particular response was just dumb, not here thrice… It was defending something that didn’t exist beforehand. But that’s all down to understanding, or not, what came before…

But, blessed are those like yourself Solid who put their money where their passions are. But allow the rest of free choice as to how we spend our money, and what we choose to like or not. My good friend loves this album, I’ve not told him has a twit for doing so, nor has he responded in that way when I said I didn’t care for it. It doesn’t do it for me. But that might change, or his second album might end up on my list of must haves. It and his compositions, in my mind, seem a little too contrived for my tastes, akin to the silly dish invented above, very ‘controlled’, impressive, but there’s nothing on the menu, from what I’ve heard, for me to come in and sit down. I think instead, after all that, I’ll pass this by and go somewhere else to place a simple order of fish and chips, and go out and watch the tide as I enjoy my repast… 😀

" ~ ‘now’ here (quoted twice) thrice…" 😛

Web-site ~

Those few I’ve shared some time with and discussed this particular recording with, including the aforementioned friend who told me I had to give it a listen ~ like it, even love it, as he does. So, and no problem there, I’m in the minority… There’s nothing new there. I can live with that…

But as to the website, it does, in my opinion, need "some adjustments and improvements"… But I wouldn’t want those generous examples of music being axed. They are part of what makes it useful and valuable, but better as has been mentioned before, like with the YouTube, something to click on. Bless him for his generosity, skill and energy…

Good grief!

The responses to Enda’s simple informational post just beggar belief.

He didn’t ask for criticism of his website and some of the comments above are utterly vitriolic. Worst, by far, however, are ceolachan’s soul-searching rambles - he’s ever one to wax for five thousand words when a mere fifty (or maybe just four) would suffice.

I’m thoroughly with llig in this one - ‘I think it’s lovely playing … and I couldn’t give a sh*t about the website.’

Posted by .

Good Grief! 😀

I remain with one of my smaller comments previous, the only really useful, thoughtful and constructive thing said here was courtesy of Jon Kiparsky, way back when…

In the first half dozen comments it was hisself that had the huff and hissy fit that lead to what followed…

Re: Jon Kiparsky

‘one of the’ (not only) - useful, thoughtful and constructive things said ~ not including myself in that…

"If you don’t like it, tough."
Eager to be a starving artist, are you?

No not at all Al but I think people go way over the top here. It was a simple post about a website update. I will think twice about posting updates here again.

Posted by .

I also couldn’t give a sh*t about the site design but rather peoples opinion about the music to be honest. This is to be the end of the pathetic rambles from people who probably don’t know any better.

Posted by .

Awe shucks Enda.

But reality bites at this daft mustard place. King Cnut would be familiar with the amount of times that requests for pathetic ramblings to end are ignored here.

(I’d like to see French Connection UK do a "King Cnut" range)

Posted .

Probably my last discussion post. Track on my home page is looped so can be played or not. No other tracks. So much for independent artists! Some of ye need to get a life here.

Posted by .

At least you’re up front about it Llig… 😛

ha

Posted .

I guess I don’t rate even a harsh word. Well, no bother. Enda, if you’re happy with your design, I guess I don’t mind much. I never looked at it before you asked me to, and I expect I’ll never look at it again, so it’s not much to me. But I’ll make one more suggestion, which you can take or leave as you like.

As a professional musician, you’re looking to do something which is very difficult and will require help from a lot of people, mostly unpaid and offered in the spirit of friendly cooperation and out of a wish to see a good musician succeed in their efforts. You will also receive lots of offers of help, including offers of advice, which will be made in the same spirit, but which you do not wish to accept or follow.
If you get in the habit of gracefully declining the advice and assistance you do not wish to accept, you will find that the advice and assistance you do want will be much more forthcoming.

I honestly don’t give a rat’s left bollock what you think of this advice or what you do with it. It’s just something I’ve learned and I’m passing it on simply out of a wish to see an independent musician succeed in their efforts.
Good luck.

One could argue that, in traditional music at least, one doesn’t need a massive, sparkling, well-put-together online profile, especially for those who’ve already made it.(http://www.tradcentre.com/cathal/ , for example)

However, spending a bit of time considering feedback about your site design won’t do you any harm at all. Choosing to have a website in the first place means you are clearly trying to publicise yourself - why not take the time to publicise yourself in the best possible way? It doesn’t need to be flashy and cutting-edge and so on, but take a look around - check out the sites of some similar bands and musicians, think "What do I like or not like about this design?" and then go back and look at yours.

Some of the posts above do stray from the path. Your music is good, I like it. But so much works on the web today, it isn’t a platform to be ignored.

Harsh words ~

"If you don’t like it, tough!"

"Jeez ye guys talk some unbelievable rubbish here."

The harsh words were there early, and, unfortunately, though not taking them personally, struck the spark that eventually lit my fuse, regretfully. I wish, as usual, I’d left it with just making the link live. Though on the receiving end, Jon and Smash you are more the gentlemen for how you’ve taken this, nicely done and well said…

Good playing Enda.

Posted by .

Jon Kiparsky thank you for at last some constructive criticism.

Posted by .

Community support and the origins of harsh words ~ some history

Initial community support ~

Recordings: "Enda Seery: The Winding Clock"
Submitted on November 1st 2010 by whistlemad.
https://thesession.org/recordings/3836/comments

& continued here, at the start ~

+ 1. ) ES: original post

+ 2. ) live link (support)

+ 3. & + 4. ) Smash: a constructive complaint ending ~ (Not that it’s bad music, of course!)

- 5.) ES: If you don’t like it, tough! (Nasty! Support waning…)

+ 6. ) Smash: still constructive

+ 7.) John Galt: constructive support for the ‘minor’ complaint about audio.

+ 8.) fidkid: constructive

+ 9.) Dr. Silver Spear: a bit of welcomed light relief.

+ 10. ) Thoughtful and constructive criticism.

+ 11. ) c: I chime in with agreement.

+ 12. ) deeor: offeringan option…

- - - 13. ) ES: "Jeez ye guys talk some unbelievable rubbish here."- and of course typical to thesession.org ye have to go and make a big song and dance about it!"

- 14. ) ES: "Ever hear of a pause button?"

#13 ~ from there - - - and my focus went to the music as well, which, while others I know like it, I don’t, but while ES says he wants it to be about the music, only if it’s complementary, eh? And sending me an email full of name calling was pretty childish, on more counts than just the name calling…

Here’s some past activity on site with regards to websites ~ and one on ‘civility’ too finist ~

website
# Posted on February 18th 2011 by dulahan
https://thesession.org/discussions/26814

Website Take Two
# Posted on March 8th 2011 by dulahan
https://thesession.org/discussions/26982

Website launch
# Posted on September 13th 2009 by colingoldie
https://thesession.org/discussions/22637

Just another website
# Posted on March 29th 2005 by irishfiddler32
https://thesession.org/discussions/6220

To be Civil, or Not to be Civil…..
# Posted on November 17th 2007 by Will Harmon
https://thesession.org/discussions/15825

http://www.endascahill.com/Enda_Scahill/Home.html

I would have been happy with just making the link live, given in ‘support’, but when the poster began to respond negatively to fair comment, and then to tar members in general, finishing with:

Enda Seery: "Most of the people on here don’t have a note in their head."

I’d still mention the recording when asked about whistle listens. If asked I’d mention that a lot of people like it, but, if pressed, I’d admit that I don’t really like the recording, especially the compositions. But that’s just a personal opinion, which many won’t agree with. And that’s OK. It’s ‘sweet’ playing, just not to my liking…

ES: "I think people go way over the top here."

ES: "I also couldn’t give a sh*t about the site design but rather peoples opinion about the music to be honest. - the pathetic rambles from people who probably don’t know any better."

ES: "Some of ye need to get a life here."

ES: "Ceolachan you really are a sad little person - " "Most of the people on here don’t have a note in their head."

I guess it wasn’t the end of the sadly pathetic, eh?

Enough, too much already said, too much time wasted on something not deserving the attention. C’est la vie! ~ and I’ve miles to go before I sleep…

Sheesh, I reckon I could handle any amount of abuse people would want to throw at my playing - but I’m sure glad you feckers aren’t having a go at my website …

Posted .

Good post Ceolchan. I have no idea who Enda Seery is but from his attitude here I would have no intention of visiting his website or supporting any of his music.

sorry .. "CeolAchan"

I’m not abusing his website llig…

I like the comment about the responses being a big song & dance. It makes me laugh. 😛

Posted by .

Best whistle player I have heard in a long time. Slick website too.

I guess when someone writes a post about their website, and he has made some changes to it, I thought the comments about the website were fair.
I guess it wasn’t clear from the OP what in the heck he wanted by way of comment. If he didn’t want comments, then he could just put the darn link in his profile.
jeez.
Now I don’t care how he plays. I thought the site was as ugly as his responses. and you can call it website abuse if you want.
Tough.

I know, right. If you can’t take criticism of your website/youtube clip/long narrative about some mishap at a session/whatever, then don’t post it on the internet. As soon as you click the "post" button, it’s out there and people will give you their opinions whether you want to hear it or not, as this is what people do on the web. Not just at thesession.org but everywhere, on any site with a forum.

Get back to work you lot.
😀

Posted by .

I don’t know a good web site from a bad one.
But, I did buy the CD and it is very fine whistling indeed.
Looking foward to more.

Posted by .