Stonehenge design was ‘inspired by sounds’

Re: Stonehenge design was ‘inspired by sounds’

Further proof, take that ErichVon Däniken!

Doesn’t that need two flutes (or pipes, the article can’t make its mind up) that are exactly in tune and in phase ? For the experiment was it flutes, or pipes - or loudspeakers ?

I’d noticed that discrepancy as well, David. BBC science reporting for the win.

Having trouble trying to imagine flutes or pipes in tune

Interference effects between mutliple reflections of one instrument sounds more likely.

Nice one Llig, knew it’d be that clip….LOL

I don’t know much about how that all works, but I think it’s pretty cool.

weren’t they just trying to calculate pi?

For a few moments round 1:53 on the Spinal Tap clip I saw the triune spirit of St. Baldrick, St. Patrick and St. Trad pass before me, in a state that seemed rather the worse for wear, and I saw him whole.

Any medals, or do I need to drink a barrel of Holy Water?

🙂

Everything connected with the pipes is freakish and uncanny.

If they commanded a bunch of impressionable people to build Stonehenge, it’s merely par for the course.

I wonder if they designed the Scottish Parliament too.

I haven’t seen it (I’d like to), but I gather it is rather idiosyncratic.

From the ‘Mayo News’ of the 7th February:

The High Court action taken by Mayo County Council against developer Joe McNamara over the controversial Achill-henge development on a hilltop near Pollagh, Achill has been adjourned for a further three weeks.

A full hearing on the matter was expected to commence last Tuesday, January 31, but counsel for Joe McNamara sought an adjournment last week and were granted a three week adjournment to Tuesday, February 21.

Mayo County Council have indicated they are seeking an order compelling Joe McNamara to take down the Stonehenge-esque development which he built over the course of one weekend last November.

The Council argue that the development, which consists of 30 concrete columns which form a circular structure, is an unauthorised development as it was built without permission.
However Mr McNamara has applied for the development to be exempt from planning permission because the circle of columns is unenclosed.

Mayo County Council refused that application earlier this month but Mr McNamara has since taken the matter to An Bord Pleanála. That application was lodged on January 18.
Whether the High Court hearing can proceed before a decision is made from An Bord Pleanála remains to be seen. A council spokesperson told The Mayo News yesterday that they were of the belief that the High Court case can go ahead.

Posted by .

"This of course begs the question of whether the Wiltshire Stonehenge got planning permission in the first place…"

It must have done. Canny ‘experts’ and big cheeses in the menhir-haulage industry must have linked arms with local hoteliers to sing it through.

The reason I assume this is because in its declared function - a clock - it has (so I gather from an article I once read) been a white elephant from its completion to now. This is the hall-mark of pretty well every building in the UK that gets roared through to massive approval and declarations that it will take us to new levels of economic and cultural might. Though it has been whispered in my ear that this demented level of hype and bollox owes less than might be expected to considered opinion and more to the Andean marching powder consumed by those participating in press conferences and other such hectic gatherings.

Apparently Stonehenge was built in a place that is and always has been a fog pocket, rendering rather pointless a chronological methodology that depends on being able to see the sun on demand.

But I’ve never been. Those with some experience of the place, please correct me if what I’ve said here is right off the ball. 🙂

Except the version I rememember included the phrase "ooh, sorry, I didn’t know it was religous" 😏

"…The Stonehenge-esque development which he built over the course of one weekend last November…"

That guy must have an almost unbelievable capacity for work…

Heard a great story from Ian Anderson flute player with rock group ‘Jethro Tull’ (on TV not personally)
They were asked to play during a Druid’s Festival at Stonehenge in the sixties. They were requested to play some sort of a druids chant. At that time actor William Roach was one of the leading Druids present at the festival. William Roach has played Ken Barlow in Coronation Street on UK TV for over fifty years, so they started chanting Ken-Bar-Low - Ken- Bar-Low-Ken-Bar-Low and everybody thought it was some kind of an ancient chant.

Everybody thought it was some kind of an ancient chant

*snorf* probably too many of them had been drinking Druid’s Ruin.

Stonehenge, Stonehenge…. yes, the clip that llig posted.