Blueridge BR-280 brazilian rosewood

Re: Blueridge BR-280 brazilian rosewood

The specs at that link appear to be lifted from Saga’s website (the distributor of Blueridge instruments) - so if they say it’s solid then I guess it must be.

The tell would be to see the back and sides. You can get Brazillian Rosewood that is not highly figured, and at this price that would be my expectation, also because they haven’t offered a view of either the back or the sides… The density and tonal characteristics would still be Brazilian Rosewood…

It can be plain, and even what some might call ugly… It is the rotting process that actually gives the wood its interest… Green timber merely cured in a kiln isn’t very interesting…

The best thing about Rio Rosewood is the smell while you’re working it.

The way to tell if it’s solid or ply if you don’t believe the dealer is to look in the soundhole. If the wood in there matches the outside of the back it’s solid. If it’s different then it’s ply.

Yes, the back and sides are solid. They’re made in China and like the quality instruments from Eastman (just providing a similar example - they’re not related) this keeps the price down. Those are nice guitars, excellent deals for the money but you’ll have some setup work to do. I’ve found the frets on Blueridge instruments, all models, are a bear.

And some models have more figure than others. Unless you pull it off the wall, mail order is a crapshoot. I’m one of that school who believes figure affects tone. But I’d probably put my foot in my mouth in a blindfold test.

Used prices on those are really good, too.

Not sure where you’re located, Mise, but I’ve heard that it is illegal to bring Brazillian rosewood into the US, including any "new" instruments made from it. People taking (brazillian rosewood)instruments out of the country and planning on returning need to be able to document that their instrument is not "new" or it is subject to confistication.