name for a 12/8 jig

name for a 12/8 jig

I’m not going to post the ABC for this tune here, given what Jeremy is likely to do to it. I’ve posted staff notation for it on Nigel Gatherer’s forum:

http://www.nigelgatherer.com/forum/attachment.php?aid=142

I found it on a hand-written slip of paper inside an old copy of "Irish Tunes for the Scottish and Irish War-Pipes", compiled by William Walsh, Chicago, arranged by David Glen, Edinburgh. The rhythm is notated in a rather odd way.

It’s very familiar and I’ve heard it many times in Scottish sessions (with a lot less twiddles) - in sets which would suggest it was a Scottish pipe tune. Anybody here got a name for it?

Re: name for a 12/8 jig

Pretty hopeless if you are not a member, Jack. Best you can get is a tiny thumbnail.

Post it here as an abc, can’t log on either

Maybe it’s the bagpipe arrangement, but it sounds more Scottish than Irish to my ear - the melody has a kind of ‘static’ nature, that is fairly typical of Highland pipe tunes. It has echoes of Scatter the Mud, to my ear (perhaps an ancestor of it), but it doesn’t give a sense of a clear begining, middle and end that most Irish jigs have. Am I making sense?

I hear it the same way - it has the same sort of character as "The Duck" or "The Seagull".

I doubt there would be any problem posting it in the database here. Jeremy has eased up on the deleting. The only one’s I can think of over the last few years were very bad transcriptions, and they’d have had to be VERY bad, and a case where someone added six self-compositions in a row, one day after the other, and then I think he only axed the last couple of tunes…

I’m off and away for the night but will give it a close look and see if there’s any connection to be found in my oddly wired head or the collections scattered around the house and the Internet.

I’m looking forward, hopefully, to seeing it added in the database, where it will get more attention over the long haul, as far as finding its roots and a name…

I didn’t expect him to delete it - just "correct" it and classify it as god knows what. I put some effort into making sure that my transcription was exactly what was on that little scrap pf 100-year-old manuscript paper, and don’t want it messed about with.

Reminds me of Iain’s jig, the last tune in the set beginning with Donald MacLean’s farewell to Oban by the Tannahill weavers on Land of Light. But as that’s neither irish nor old enough it can be that one ?

can’t be

First part is strongly reminiscent of the tune known as Scatter the Mud and other names, isn’t it?

If it’s in 12/8, isn’t it then a slide ?
Very tricky this numbers business. A friend of mine wrote a tune for a wedding; 4/4, A part 8 bars, B and C parts 4 bars each, BUT every crotchett measure was a triplet. I suggested he’s actually written a jig, if every bar was divided in two, and each note written out without the triplet sign over it. He suggested the accent would be completely different.

By the time a Highland piper has finished with it, it certainly won’t be a slide. Given the complexity of that setting, it looks intended for the competition stage.

For an even less slide-like 12/8 - look at the Romanian dance "Papuselele" (in the Nine Note Tune Book on my website). Each bar is 6/8+3/4.

I hear the resemblance to "Scatter the Mud", but I’m sure there’s something closer with a known name.

Interesting tune, Jack. It has the feel of a 6/8 march rather than any type of jig to me, but I could be completely wrong about that.
The tune it did bring to mind to me was "MacDonald’s March To The Battle Of Harlaw", a version which exists in Ireland commonly known as "Mac’s Fancy" and recorded by "De Danann". Similarities - nothing more. I’ll follow this thread with interest.

Posted by .

It’s got a "Paddy’s Leather Breeches" 2nd and 4th part feel about it, well thats what the 2nd part reminds me of.