Abc notation to hardcopy tunebooks w/ page numbers

Abc notation to hardcopy tunebooks w/ page numbers

Hi,

Anyone know how to print tunebooks WITH page numbers from
.abc files? I have ABC Navigator and a few other programs but I can’t seem to make this happen. Does anyone know how to do this?

Kind Regards,

Sean

Re: Abc notation to hardcopy tunebooks w/ page numbers

Not the most elegant solution, but you could import the notation (assuming you want sheet music pdfs) into a layout program (InDesign, Publisher, etc) and fancy up the pages however you want.

Or skip the page numbers and simply arrange the tunes in alphabetical order—no real need for page numbers then.

Posted .

Thanks, Will, I’ll look into those solutions. I just checked my Foxit pdf program but that’s a no-go. Hopefully there’s another free one out there…I have about 1,000 tunes I want printed in a nice-looking tunebook, so I need an index with page numbers so I can find each tune easily. Getting an index to include the page numbers is another problem…

A better option would be to use Latex and use an ABC latex plugin (such as http://abcplus.sourceforge.net/#abclatex). I’ve not used it before but it must be the most elegent solution?

If you have access to something that will cut and paste between PDF files (like Acrobat …) you could ‘print’ a blank word processor document with page numbers (and whatever headers and footers you might fancy) to PDF then copy and paste the tunes from your other PDF

Even less elegant than Will’s suggestion - but probably less tedious than it will be to do an index by hand. For a 40-page tunebook I decided to do that rather than what Will suggested because it required almost zero thought. You will probably get better control of the properties of the PDF file than with whatever writes the tunes to PDF.

If you have an abc editor which allows you to use postscript routines there’s basic one for a footer with the page number is %%footer "$P"

I don’t have Abc Navigator on this computer. So, I cannot check out that particular software. But if you’re interested here’s an example which you can paste into the Tune-OTron <
http://www.concertina.net/tunes_convert.html >
It’s only one page. But, the PDF will have the page number at the bottom

%%footer "$P"
X: 3
T: Jenny’s Chickens
M: 4/4
L: 1/8
K: Bdor
|: f2 fg fece | fefa eAce | f2 fg fece | fgaf eAce :|
|: fBBA B2 ce | fB ~B2 eAce | fBBA B2 ce |[1 fgaf eAce :|[2 fgaf eAcA ||
|: ~B2 bB aBgB | B2 af eAcA | B2 bB aBgB |[1 fgaf eAcA :|[2 fgaf eAce |]

"Jenny’s Chickens" ~ Bulmer & Sharpley

"Music from Ireland, Volume Two", page 5, tune #18
Dave Bulmer & Neil Sharpley, 1974
ISBN: 0-9503784-10

Posted on May 8th 2010 by ceolachan

Posted by .

If you can create a PDF of the tunes (your Foxit?)

Then this free programme works:

http://www.a-pdf.com/number/

I’ve got a good few programmes that will do the job, but they are not free. I’ve just tried the one in the link and it’s a doddle.

I think Tonya’s solution will work with programs that use the usual opensource or shareware routine to convert abc to pdf - can’t remember its name - have some reference stuff on my other computer but can’t access it now.

ABC Navigator is almost certainly one such program. I recently downloaded (onto the other computer) easyABC which provided a reference giving some of the other commands you can use - they go a lot further than just page numbers. Looking into it some more a friend pointed me to a very useful reference guide to all the possible commands - available somewhere on the web - written by a kind soul in Italy which explains the lot. Fonts, type styles, text alignment, headers and footers, page breaks, spacing, the works. If nobody here supplies the details before Monday I will do so then.

Jeeves, davedupplaw linked to Guido Gonzato’s AbcPlus project (AbcLatex). His Abc Guide has quite a bit of information on routines to help with formatting pages.
http://abcplus.sourceforge.net/#ABCGuide

Footers & Headers are in Section 5.7 p.53

Posted by .

Bulmer & Sharpley? Flippin’ ‘eck… 🙁

Don’t speak dot, eh Steve?

Posted by .

Huh?

I just thought your post was humorous.
Cheers. 🙂

Posted by .

Well, Tonya, I’m a humorous fellow on the whole, but mention of Bulmer seldom gets me going in fits of giggles. Moving swiftly on… 😉

Fair play, Steve. ;)

Posted by .

%%header "$P0 My file $P1"
(There are tabs between the three Items) will put even page numbers on the left and odd page numbers on the right with the words "my File" in the center.

If you want things at the bottom of the page replace "header" with "footer"

For full information and lots of additional detail go to

http://abcplus.sourceforge.net/#ABCGuide

And download the ABCPlus guide. More information than you will ever want to know.

Oh yeah…the note above assumes you are creating the PDF using abcm2ps. I think Navigator uses that.

Thanks for all the suggestions, everybody. I’ll try them out. I wish
I knew how to use abcm2ps and programs like it; I have no programming knowledge and don’t know to convert abc to pdf using postscript routines…I don’t even really know what postscript routines are. I guess I’ll start with the ABC Plus documentation referenced above. 

I mentioned pdf in my second post because I assumed I could eventually find a way to get from abc to pdf if needed.

ABCexplorer uses abcm2ps and seems to have a friendly interface for some formating commands, including page numbers, and lets you add others yourself if you want to.

I was just about to post that ABCexplorer does the job.

It will export a complete ABC collection to a PDF with page numbering (which is there by default).

http://stalikez.info/abc/abcex.php

I cast my vote for ABCExplorer. Last time I looked, ABCNavigator was not up-to-date with the latest definitions of ABC, which means it won’t correctly interpret tune files that include new formatting rules. Shame. I liked it.

Get hold of abc2ps.exe it’s a very flexible command line program which will convert an ABC file to postscript which you can then convert to pdf with Acrobat Distiller or whatever. abc2ps.exe has lots of command line switches. Including:

-N write page numbers
-1 write one tune per page

I wouldn’t recommend that for someone without a desire to work off the command line. The executable file (.exe) is very handy, but only for those who prefer it to using software, such as Abc Explorer, which provides a user interface, or GUI.
I like using the original abc2ps for a few things. However, if someone wants to go the command line route why not abcm2ps & ghostscript. That will get you to a PDF.

Posted by .

ABC explorer will print page numbers, just select the file and print the file once you have it in the order you want. You can also re index and sort alphabetically

ABC Explorer seemed the best route for a command-line impaired person like myself, but unfortunately I’ve hit a brick wall. When I attempt to the program’s "export file" function to create a .pdf file, I get the following error message and no .pdf file is created: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24849903/abcexplorer_error.jpg

Another problem is that ABC Explorer inserts a line break after the seventh measure of each line of standard notation and gives the eight measure a line to itself, which wastes a lot of space and looks bad.

If I can’t print my .abc file soon by myself, I will issue an RFP…

Sorry, meant to say, "When I attempt to *use* the program’s "export file" function…"

I love ABC Explorer’s index creation feature, though. I will definitely use it to print an index unless I can find another program that prints the list of tunes *with* page numbers.

Make sure you have highlighted the "file body" in the left hand column before you export it to a pdf - not the bit written in brown or the file header.

It should work. If you are having problems with line breaks, it is possibly due to poor layout in the original.

Hi Weejie,

I tried that just now but it didn’t work, unfortunately. I received the following error message, the same one as before: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24849903/abcexplorer_error.jpg

Thanks for all the posts, everyone; I’ll look back through them and evaluate where to go from here. I’ll check out Guido Gonzato’s AbcPlus project and then maybe try to learn abc2ps or abcm2p. I may end up just printing using ABC Navigator and inserting numbers by hand on each page and the index. I was hoping to avoid that, but I want to play through each tune anyway, and I still have the Tunebook ipod app as a reference.

-Sean

The only thing I can think of is there is some stray text in among your ABCs. I can get that error warning easily by trying to export the file header. No problems with correctly written ABCs from the file body.

Does AbcExplorer have limits on file size? The error can easily be due to a single instance of typing which Explorer doesn’t like. What Weejie is saying. Sean, if you are trying this with a large tunebook it might help to work through some smaller files first. Start with a single tune & then 2 or 3 pages & see if the error persists.

Was AbcNavigator handling the tunebook formatting better, just not allowing you to number pages? Here’s a suggestion which has been given before. It might help if you want to go back to AbcNavigator.

On your tunebook image I saw you had The Tarbolton. So, I grabbed a copy of the tune from the database.

%%footer "$P"
X:1
T:Tarbolton, The
S:Mad Baloney
M:4/4
K:Edor
D|Eeed e2 BA|GBAF GFEF|Dddc d2 AF|GBAG FDDF|Eeed efge|fedf edBA|
GABG FGA=c|BGAF GE E :||gfef (3gfe be|gebe gfef|d2 fd adfd|ABAG FDDF|
(3GGG BG (3FFF AF|Eeef gfed|B2 dB AGFA|BGAF GE E :|

If you copy & paste that ^ into ~
http://www.concertina.net/tunes_convert.html

it should give you a PDF with the reel on 3 lines, 6 bars on the first two lines, & a page number at the center bottom of the PDF.

That one piece of code;
%%footer "$P"
at the top of your abc header should work in AbcNavigator. If it does the first page will have the number 1 at the center bottom of the first page. Consecutive pages will be numbered accordingly.

Posted by .

Hi Tawny,

I opened my abc file using a text editor (Notepad), and inserted %%footer "$P" in the first line, saved, opened in ABC Navigator, and attempted to print a few pages. Unfortunately, there were no page numbers on the printed sheets. I again opened the file using Notepad and inserted %%footer "$P" following by a blank line, but this format also yielded no page numbers.

ABC Navigator is handling the tunebook formatting better than ABC Explorer and ABC2win.

The file contains 1,022 tunes, so it may well have some errors ABC Explorer doesn’t like.

I wonder if there’s another way to get ABC Navigator to pay attention to the file header? I’ll see about contacting the author of ABC Navigator

1,022 tunes in the tunebook, that’s pretty big. I’d definitely see how Abc Explorer works with just one tune & then a tunebook with 2 or 3 pages. Have you tried that yet?

I don’t have AbcNavigator so I cannot check out what it does with the command. Is it possible to use it’s abc editor where you can view the header & confirm %%footer "$P" is at the top. Hopefully someone with Navigator can try & see if this works.
Please let the forum know if you hear from the author.

Posted by .

Sean, I just downloaded a copy of Abc Navigator. Sorry to say the command isn’t going to help you. The reason is because Navigator doesn’t create a pdf.

Posted by .

Hey, thanks for tip on the %%footer "$P". It works very well in EasyABC when "Export all as PDF…" on my Macintrash. Now all I have to do is figure out how to extract the tune titles on the page along with the page number from the pdf file and I can create a table of contents (which I handle in a separate program, abc notation isn’t exactly friendly to straight text). If someone on the session already knows how to do that, I would surely appreciate the information.

FWIW, (not much), here’s what I stick in front of my collection of tunes. I know it can be a separate header file somewhere but I haven’t concentrated on that much for EasyABC. I’m too busy trying to learn enough tunes to attend a session and not feel like the rank beginner that I am.

I:abc-charset utf-8
%%titlefont Times-Bold 36
%%subtitlefont Times-Bold 18
%%gchordfont Times-Bold 14
%%composerfont Times-Bold-Italic 16
%%partsfont Times-Bold 14
%%printtempo 0
%%printparts 1
%%partsbox 1
%%bstemdown 1
%%withxrefs
%%footer "$P" <- recent addition ;^)

There’s multiple ways to include the tune type (the R: header field) but I add this after the "K:" line to my tunes to display the tune type with the font and size I prefer. If you’re not into editing or nuts enough to write a unix shell script to do the job like I did it won’t be worth the effort. I’m just passing the technique along as info.

(abc header stuff…)
R:Jig
K:(key of whatever before the body of the tune)
%%textfont Times-Bold-Italic 16
%%begintext left
%%Jig
%%endtext

and followed by the "P:A" notation if you’re using that.

P.S. It is unfortunate that there is a bug in the software library that will not export the added text that’s in Times-Bold-Italic (or other fonts) to the pdf file. It will come out as Courier - period. As an experiment, I edited an exported EasyABC pdf file and changed all occurrences of Courier to Times-Bold-Italic only to find that the resulting letter spacing was horrible and the Italic gets dropped. So much for that experiment.