John McGann, R.I.P.

John McGann, R.I.P.

I just received some sad and quite shocking news a few days ago; it seems that John McGann, the well-known and respected Boston area Guitarist/ Mandolinist (of Kevin Burke & Johnny Cunningham’s "Celtic Fiddle Festival" amongst others) passed away quite unexpectedly from kidney failure. He was more familiar, perhaps, to fans of American Traditional Music, but did more than his fair share of Irish music in his time. That first recording he did with Kevin Burke & Johnny (on a cassette tape, no less!) was one of the very first recordings of Traditional Music that I ever purchased. I very nearly wore it out! Taken from us much too soon, he was only 54 years old. Our hearts go out to his family and friends.

Re: John McGann, R.I.P.

Saw this news on mandolin cafe—a huge loss to the mandolin world. He was a fine, fine person who happened to also be a fine, fine musician. And world class teacher.

And just 52 (born in September 1959).

Posted .

His Octave Mandolin & Bouzouki book has some great tunes and tips……

What a shock. He was part of The Boston Edge with Joe Derrane and Seamus Connolly, and subsequently on The Man Behind the Box and Grove Lane, again with Derrane. Thanks for the music John. You will be missed by us all.

The third obituary in two pages of this forum.
Are we all getting old ?

Saw him with Derrane and Connolly a few years ago, pure magic. So sad to hear about his passing.

John certainly wasn’t getting old. what a shock.

Posted by .