Tony Dixon Low Whistles

Tony Dixon Low Whistles

I’ve heard that Tony Dixon’s Low D whistles are good, but are they loud enough to be played in a smallish-medium sized session, and not be entirely drowned out? Also, does the conical bore design have a dramatic effect on the sound and such, as compared to his cylindrical bore design?

Re: Tony Dixon Low Whistles

I’ve got a tapered bore one, the model TB012, polymer.
It’s a nice whistle, easy to play, it has a good, warm tone.
The flutist of my band has the DX102, the cilindrical, aluminium model.
Comparing the models, the tone of the whistles are VERY similar, but I prefer the aluminium model ‘cause it is easier to play, has a more definited sound, and it has a bit more volume (but it is quite low.. it’s a problem of every low whistle, it’s very hard to find a low whistle with more volume, and playable… and at the same price!).

Yes the Dixon poly conical-bore Low D is a pleasant sounding and good-playing whistle but a bit too quiet for louder sessions.

The loudest, or perhaps I should say most powerful, Low Ds that I’ve owned have been the MK and the Burke.

Even with these, the low range can be hard to hear in a largish noisy session, but on the other hand High A and especially High B are quite loud, too loud in fact if it’s a smallish session.

There is always a volume differential with Low Ds due to the fixed tone production mechanism.

The MK has overcome this somewhat due to the way the octaves are tuned: you have to blow the low octave strongly and back off on the upper octave. If you try to blow the MK as you would an Overton or Generation you’ll overblow the upper octave and it will be sharp.

One advantage the Burke Low D has is its amazingly powerful Bottom D, which you can really blow on. The Low E, on the other hand, won’t take that much pressure.

The MK is more even in power/volume, with a much stronger Low E than most Low D whistles but a less powerful Bottom D than a Burke or an Overton.

If the prices of the Burke and MK Low Ds are too high for you, you might want to try a Susato Low D.

I don’t care for the higher Susatos much but their Low Ds and Low Cs play nicely for a very good price.

The Susato Low D has a very strong Bottom D and overall can be played with a more flutelike “push” style than some Low Ds.

But a Susato or a Dixon aren’t ever going to play like an MK, Burke, Overton, or Goldie.