Well, what about

Re: Well, what about

Painfully misdirected artistic overachievers
who, should have, instead, played ‘Paint it Black’
which is what most of this mess sounded like.

Gotta get me one of those foot stool thingies - classy…

They should fix the radiators in that hall--awful knocking just as the gents were getting ready to make music….

Posted .

Oh dear…

Posted by .

I thought it was quite nice. Not something I’d listen to most of the time for choice, but nice enough all the same.

(cue music)

A long time ago when Ireland was still covered with forest there lived on one of it highest mountains a giant. Now this was a very friendy giant whose name was Con Mac Noise and he owned a white steed who was the fastest steed in all of Ireland……… etc etc etc……and the bad fairy was banished forever from the land of Erin

(fade music)

I’ve corrected their information about this irish folksong, and offered my services as a dance caller.
I’m still waiting for the reply……

I think quartets are cooler when at least 3 of the instruments are different.

It’s four classical guitar players who arranged a tune in a dramatic way. It shouldn’t shock or surprise any of us that it’s not traditional or our cup of tea. I disagree that they are ‘Painfully misdirected artistic overachievers’ - they are operating in another tradition. Apples & oranges.

aaaaaaack!

Nice energy from the piano player, tho.

Well, they were the state that produced James Brown. Might have should’ve gone with End of the World (Dervish) instead?

They’re doing what guitar quartets do. I agree with Jerone, string quartets are far more appealing to me, despite having dabbled in my fair share of classical guitar. They’re basically playing an Irish tune in a Spanish style. The same way that J.S. Bach was playing German tunes in an Italian style. The same way that that the Irish play their own tunes to styles that originate in other countries. Or Americans playing Irish tunes in their own style. I could go on but I’ve said too much already.

They sbould’ve stuck with smoke on the water

Looks like everyone’s in good form. Waiting for Michael though….

I think Will wins the award for the best remark…

I happen to know all these lads, and they are quite good guitar players.. I’ve also played in that hall, which has terrible acoustics. Also, since the radiators don’t work, they had to make those noises themselves. But seriously, I agree with the posters who pointed out that they were not trying to play ITM. They were playing something inspired by a couple of Irish tunes, and, yes, Paint It Black. And they did just fine.

There is a long tradition in not trying to play Irish traditional music. Getting longer every day. I like the title of the piece.
;)

Posted by .