Bagpipe History Recent artcile on Lowland Pipes

Bagpipe History Recent artcile on Lowland Pipes

Pete Stewart has presented a recent paper which traces the history of Lowland or ‘Common’ pipes from pictures and prints. It will help in tracing the origin of the Uillean pipes from the earlier ‘pastoral’ pipes.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11131902/IBconfernce/common%20bagpipe.pdf

The were bellows blown with drones in a common stock and were pretty universal in Britain and Ireland . The pipoer could sing and talk too.

I’ve always wonderd how orinary players could afford the complex pipes we see today with regulators etc. Maybe they were handed down as they became less popular with the wealthy or gentry.

Re: Bagpipe History Recent artcile on Lowland Pipes

Hmm…I can’t see anything startingly revealed in this ‘paper’.
It’s a bit like a brochure. I think it’s fairly well known that cauld wind pipes were fairly widespread.

There never was such a ban. Urban legend.

Johnson and Boswell listening to bagpipes in the Highlands in the 1770s:

http://blog.oup.com/2006/06/johnson_boswell4/

No hint that there was anything problematic about it. They describe the music as a local custom that had continued uninterrupted from the distant past.

The interesting thing about Pete’s work is that the kind of pipe he finds mostly depicted from English models is pretty much the same as what we now think of as Border pipes. The preconception I had before reading that was that in England the predominant kind of pipe was a mouthblown European-style pipe like Julian Goodacre’s "Leicestershire pipe" - it now looks like that type had fallen out of the public eye by the mid-18th century.

That article give more evidence to support some of the conclusions in the book

Bagpipes
A National Collection of a National Intrument
Hugh Cheape

This book is mostly a look at the physical evidence, the surviving instruments in museums etc.

What is interesting is how widespread the Union (Uilleann) Pipes were in the late 18th and early 19th centuries, with numerous known makers such as

Malcolm MacDonald, London
Robert Scott, London
John and Michael Dun, Newcastle
Robert and James Reid, North Shields
J Massie, Aberdeen
John Naughton, Aberdeen
James Sharp, Aberdeen
Hugh Robertson, Edinburgh
Nicholas Kerr, Edinburgh
Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh
James Kenna, Dublin

There were also many Scottish and English performers of the Union/Uilleann Pipes.

Union PIpes were played at events held by the Highland Society of London, the Perth Gaelic Society, and the Aberdeen Highland Society.