Tune name

Tune name

I heard this played in a session last year (Danny O’Mahony), anyone know the name of the tune, I have no idea what key it’s in, or how to write it correctly in ABC

GF |: ECEG cege | fedc BGG2 | A2FA G2EG | 1 GBdc BG^FG |2 FEDF ECC2 :| there are no sharps or flats other than those indicated in Part A
| cBGF EGcd | ecgc acgc | B2FB GBFB FB (3BBB dBAB the Bs are flat in the first part of Part B
| GccB cdcB | GccB cdef | g2^fa gba^f | g2ec BG^FG :| there are no sharps or flats other than those indicated in the second part of part B

Re: Tune name

X:1
K:C
GF |: ECEG cege | fedc BGG2 | A2FA G2EG |1 GBdc BG^FG :|2 FEDF ECC2 ||
K: F
|: cBGF EGcd | ecgc acgc | B2FB GBFB | FB (3BBB dBAB :|
|: GccB cdcB | GccB cdef | g2^fa gba^f | g2ec BG^FG :|

This is about as far as I can go to decipher this tune without knowing it.

"Looks like it could be a variant of ‘The Liverpool’ hornpipe."

There’s some resemblance in the 1st part. But the B part is completely unrelated - and this is a reel, not a hornpipe. I would say ‘influenced by’ rather than ‘a version of’ The Liverpool Hornpipe

If I may, Toppish, this is a tidied up version of your abc (in a form that most abc-staff software - such as this one http://www.concertina.net/tunes_convert.html - can read). I don’t think the 2nd and 3rd lines are meant to be repeated separately. I’m not sure whether the B part should be repeated at all, but Theirlandais has put a repeat sign at the end, so I have respected that.

T:?
M:C|
GF |: ECEG cege | fedc BGG2 | A2FA G2EG |1 GBdc BG^FG :|2 FEDF ECC2 ||
|: cBGF EGcd | ecgc acgc | _B2FB GBFB | F_B (3BBB dBAB |
| GccB cdcB | GccB cdef | g2^fa gba^f | g2ec BG^FG :||

These are all good thoughts - I have no idea what this tune is.

Thanks guys for the ABC tidy up, it’s a reel, and the second part is line 2 and line 3 and it’s not repeated. in part A I have doubt now what the colon means but you play the first part of the tune ECEG cege | fedc BGG2 | A2FA G2EG twice not four times

the tune before it was https://thesession.org/tunes/5865
the tune that followed was https://thesession.org/tunes/2708

so I’d say it’s either a Fahy or Dwyer (family) tune.

the other players at the session, who were very good players didn’t play any of these tunes.

Really? I don’t see it.

This tune:

X: 1
T: Paddy Fahy’s
M: 4/4
L: 1/8
R: reel
K: Gmaj
|:G,2 B,D GBdB|c2 ag fgdc|B~G3 BcdB|cBAG FDCA,|
|(3G,G,G, B,D GBdB|c2 ag fgdc|B~G3 BcdB|1 cAFA G2 DB,:|2 cAFA G2 Bc|
|:dgfa gdBG|FGAB c2 Bc|Aaag a3g|fdad bdad|
|(3ggg fa gdBG|FGAB c2 Bc|d~g3 defd|1 cAFA G2 Bc:|2 cAFA G2 DB,|

is the same tune as this?:

T:?
M:C|
K:G
DC |: B,G,B,D GBdB | cBAG FDD2 | E2CE D2B,D |1 DFAG FD^CD :|2 CB,A,C B,G,G,2 ||
|: GFDC B,DGA | BGdG eGdG | =F2CF DFCF | C=F (3FFF AFEF |
| DGGF GAGF | DGGF GABc | d2^ce dfe^c | d2BG FD^CD :||

I never would have caught that. Hmmmmm…

Those 2 tunes are completely different tunes, "Toppish" and neither is the tune requested here. The one thing they all have in common is being composed by - and known as - "Paddy Fahy’s" reels. Paddy composed many tunes, and never gave titles to any of them. GaryAMartin identified it correctly as the "Paddy Fahy’s" reel recorded by Messrs Ourceau and O’hAllmhurain on the CD he provided the link to above.

Posted by .

Of course the recording links to SOME Paddy Fahy’s, but not necessarily the correct one. I don’t think the one being asked for here is in the database yet. At least I couldn’t find it.

Thanks GaryAMartin for giving that context. I was mightily confused by Kenny’s post.

Maybe Gary, like me, played the "abcs" over and remembered it was on that particular recording. I knew I’d heard it before somewhere, but Gary got to it before me.
Don’t know how I caused confusion, "Toppish". I thought I was clear enough, please accept apologies.

Posted by .

However, PS - I’m also a bit confused, Gary, at the involvement of "irishtune.info", because they identify the wrong Paddy Fahy tune in their listings. You get the 1st 2 bars of a tune by hovering the cursor over the tune title, and those 2 bars displayed are from a different Fahy reel.

Posted by .

Please ignore last posting by me - talking crap. The 2 bars are slightly different, but they are from the same tune as originally requested.

Posted by .

"I think he guessed that it was Paddy Fahy’s and then did an exact word search and then looked at the Cmaj tunes and came across this one http://www.irishtune.info/tune/1501/"

Exactly right.