No offense intended, and excuse my french, but what the f*** is that :/

Re: bowing without a bow

You don’t like it Patrick?

I think it’s awesome.

old school, love it! :-D

Posted .

proof yet again that the violin bow was one of our species’ greatest achievement - it can turn THAT into music!

OK, so they’re not using a bow. Just how exactly are they torturing the fiddle then?

Ignore the question, I just scrolled down and read the rest of the description in YouTube, so now I know.

The fiddler with these guys does it http://www.budapestcafeorchestra.co.uk/ Maybe in some of the youtube clips, I haven’t checked. IIRC he sometimes put his hand in his jacket pocket so maybe there was powdered rosin or something in there.

(oddly enough, whilst enjoying there concert I was wondering what Jack C would think of it)

I have seen the late lamented Johnny Gimble play Ida Red in a similar way to this
He unscrewed the frog of the bow and turned it upside down with the hair resting on the strings and the stick underneath the fiddle. He secured the frog and stick with index and middle finger and played. One can retune to a chord or the G up to an A to play in D and the overall effect is rather like an organ and sounds terrific with the constant drones.
Try it, it’s fun but be careful not to scratch the back of you fiddle (see also Four Poster Bed).

Wow, that was almost as filthy as dubstep. What was being used instead of a bow?

I just noticed that the photo on the home page of the web site I linked above shows the technique in action. Except that you can’t see the string properly in the photo.

Hmmm. That’s pretty much what I sound like WITH a bow…

So, after I posted the above, I heard the OP’s link.
The whistling sound is bwed very lightly near the bridge.

The scratchy sound is not 4 strings at once (notice the contrast with Venuti’s 4-string playing in the link above). It is one string, to which is tied a single horsehair. Right thumb and finger - rosined - pull the hair to the right, releasing it slowly for sound, pinching it to stop. The RH must repinch up the string to continue, so a breath-like phrasing is built in.

See a man playing this way in the film Latcho Drom.
vlnplyr

cbw’s link above is the one I mentioned. vlnplyr